Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 7,381 to 7,391 of 7,391

RR529

I'm, very cautiously, keeping an eye on the new Endless Ocean.

I always wanted to try the ones on Wii, but the fact that this seems to be multiplayer centric & procedurally generated to a degree (it said the sea changes with each dive) are turnoffs.

Hope it has some sort of single player goals.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Balatro is insanely good and also perfect for Switch. Having loads of fun.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KidRyan

Last week's Nintendo Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ER2hl7HUWI
Recap Article: https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/nintendo-direct-february-...

I'm personally excited/hyped to play these 5 games eventually, on my PS5 of course.

Reveal Order:
Monster Hunter Stories
Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed
South Park: Snow Day!
Another Crab’s Treasure
Penny's Big Breakaway

Edited on by KidRyan

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

nessisonett

Won a run of Balatro. Feel like I’ve gone 12 rounds with Ali.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

CJD87

@nessisonett Well done! My performance has drastically improved since I realised that the order/positioning of the joker cards actually matters... (ie you want to have your xMultiplier cards on the far right, and your +Multiplier jokers on the left)

Awesome game, really into it

CJD87

LtSarge

So I started playing Chorus on Series X as I was in a mood for a spaceship shooter and it got me thinking: what if Nintendo made an open world Star Fox game with RPG mechanics (e.g. gathering resources and upgrading your ship, like in Chorus). I mean surely that could work out. Star Fox games have always been on-rail shooters and that just feels wrong considering you're in space. There needs to be more freedom of movement. Making it open world feels very natural. You can have dog fights in space and then arrive at planets and use the Landmaster or have on-foot sections. In fact, it would be very much like Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. We already know that Fox and friends have a lot of different attacks while on foot thanks to Smash Bros. It just makes sense to me and I really hope Nintendo gets on that soon. Star Fox needs to return with a bang.

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox: Assault.

They've not always been on-rail shooters.

Oh, and the Switch version of Starlink: Battle for Atlas from Ubisoft can effectively be a Star Fox game of sorts thanks to a heavy collaborative effort with Nintendo.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

Started Super Mario RPG. Cute, and the redone visuals and music are BEAUTIFUL on Switch, but sorta simple, and the dated level design doesn't do it any favors.

I'm glad I'm getting to play it, but I doubt it'll change my opinion that the Rabbids crossover RPGs from Ubisoft are, far and away, the best Mario RPGs to date.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

LtSarge

I seriously can't believe that I'm playing The Thousand-Year Door now. I've been wanting to play it for so long now and it's finally here! The game looks absolutely clean on the Switch and the music as well as the presentation are fantastic as expected. Can't remember the last time I was this excited about a Nintendo game.

LtSarge

Pizzamorg

Super late I know but I checked out the Unicorn Overlord demo. Played probably only the first hour or two, but I liked what I tried. Its weird cause on paper this game is my jam, but I feel like audiences and games media collectively did a really poor job of explaining what this game is. Making it sound like this really convoluted messy experience that just completely put me off. And especially during the early part of the year there was so much other to play it was easy to just toss this aside. Now the year is really really dry (for my tastes) and hearing its on discount and that there was a multi hour demo I thought I'd finally try it. I dunno, maybe it gets really complicated later on, but at least based on the first few stages I cleared, people really oversold the complexity of this. (not to say the game isn't complex in a sort of depth kind of way, but from an actual mechanic gameplay sense it is very easy to pick up. Much easier than I expected given how people explained the loop).

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

LtSarge

Just finished Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on Switch after 32 hours. Still can't believe that I've finally played through this game. So many years of wanting to play it but couldn't because I didn't have a GameCube or a Wii and even if I did, I would have to pay around €200 for a physical copy.

But I'm glad that I waited because this reworked version is sublime. The improved graphics are absolutely stunning, especially the lighting. It made the game much more enjoyable to play. And I'm sure people who have played the original will like the redone soundtrack. I can't compare it to the original, but for a first-time listener, it was amazing.

With that out of the way, the actual game is everything that I thought it would be. The story and the gameplay were excellent. It plays pretty much like the first game. The partners were much more likeable compared to the first game as they got more time to shine and felt more unique. I still would've liked to have interacted with them more throughout the story. But yeah, the game was so much fun to play and I enjoyed every minute of it.

One aspect that could've been improved is the chapters. Two of the chapters felt rather repetitive, which were Glitzville, which was basically a battle arena where you had to battle 20 opponents, and Poshley Heights, which was for the most part a train ride and the issue with this chapter was the constant back-tracking through the train. The chapters in the first Paper Mario were better overall in my opinion.

Having played the first two Paper Mario games now, I can see why the developers went for a completely different approach with the third game on the Wii (despite the obvious reason that Nintendo's studios were encouraged to utilise the Wii's capabilities). The gameplay is pretty much the same in the first two iterations and if they had made the third game similar, I would've gotten burned out in all honesty. I mean yeah, they went from an RPG to a 2D platformer, but it still had RPG elements, partners (even though they're nowhere near as unique as the ones in the first two games) and a rich story. In fact, having now played the first three games, I still think Super Paper Mario had the best story and the most interesting characters (specifically the villains) of the three games.

All in all though, I'm so glad to have finally gotten to experience this absolute gem of a game. If you're looking for a unique turn-based RPG, you absolutely have to play The Thousand-Year Door. In terms of the overall Paper Mario experience, it's easily the best one of all the games in the series.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic