PlayStation Exclusives

PlayStation Studios lead Hermen Hulst confirmed to staff in an internal meeting today that first-party single player titles made by the company will now remain exclusive to PS5 and won't be ported to PC, Bloomberg journalist Jason Schreier reports.

Following up on his report from March, Schreier said on Bluesky: "PlayStation studio business CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a town hall Monday morning that the company's narrative single-player games will now be PlayStation exclusive, confirming Bloomberg's reporting from earlier this year."

In that article, it was explained multiplayer games such as Marvel Tokon: Fighting Souls will still recieve multi-platform releases, but anything single player now stays on the PS5. There had been plans to port Ghost of Yotei to PC, but those were cancelled.

The moves comes after Microsoft stated it will be "reevaluating" its stance on Xbox first-party games making their way to other consoles.

When word first broke of Sony's decision to keep its single player efforts exclusively available on PS5, over 70% of Push Square readers saw it as the right move. Since then, estimates for the launch-month sales of ported PS5, PS4 titles have been made public, and — if accurate — they start to paint a picture of why Sony might be taking a step back from PC.

Outside of a financial earnings Q&A section, Sony is unlikely to publicly confirm its decision to step away from PC single player support. However, reliable reporting from Jason Schreier suggests today's internal meeting at PlayStation backs up what was reported a few months ago.

The proof will be in the pudding: if we stop seeing single player PC ports in the next 12 months or so, then we know it's almost certainly true. Where a deal with a third-party studio has been put in place, such as with Ember Lab and its Kena: Scars of Kosmora follow-up, those are still coming to PC.

Do you think this is the right move for PlayStation? Let us know in the comments below.

[source bsky.app]