Forums

Topic: PUSH SQUARE GAME CLUB | MAY | Dave the Diver 🐠🦑🤿

Posts 701 to 720 of 779

Bundersvessel

@sorteddan @QualityGeezer Well, technically that would be a couple of votes for both. I wouldn’t want Dave the Diver to be the only choice as it isn’t available until the 16th. I wanted to put to the group again purely based on the lack of engagement in the voting side. Not sure how to proceed 🤔

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

sorteddan

@Bundersvessel
Declare democracy a failure. Establish a dictatorship and force people to engage.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

CaptD

Yeah mentioning Dave the Diver was a bit of a mistake but I thought I would get ahead of a mid month launch and inform people so we could perhaps hold off till May or have double bubble this month.
Anyhoo I'm up for Midnight Suns, I promise to participate this month.

@QualityGeezer Put the game out there and see if anyone rallies to your cause comrade.

CaptD

Th3solution

@sorteddan The U.S. public school system failed me? Imagine that. 😅

In reality I was probably daydreaming about Final Fantasy 7 the day we learned about stoats.

As for your spoiler-marked experience, it sounds awesome, actually. I am far enough removed from playing the game that I do think it might be tough for me. Not to mention, lots of gaming still to do elsewhere….

Speaking of —
@Bundersvessel I’m excited to try Marvel’s Midnight Suns, although I hadn’t quite planned to dive in yet, on account of being in the middle of Spider-Man 2. Would my brain explode if I played two Marvel games at the same time? I don’t know. I might be willing to try but can’t make any guarantees. So basically put me down for a definite ‘maybe’ on Midnight Suns.

Dave the Diver isn’t one I had planned to play but if it’s the will of the people then I might succumb to peer pressure.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Bundersvessel

Alright gang, so there you have it, Midnight Suns is your game. This one is billed as a tactical rpg with a deck building flavour, set within the Marvel universe. We could probably start a degrees of separation thing going with each month's game.

Untitled

As always, start in your own time, on your platform of choice and please be wary of spoilers and use appropriate tags (Last month's discussion felt like a top secret dossier)

#PSQGameClub

As for May (First anniversary of our new iteration) Dave the Diver seems pretty popular but as always find the list of previously mentioned titles for your viewing and voting pleasure. @ me directly with your vote and i'll attempt to keep track.

Tren
Teardown
Tinykin
Eiyuden Chronicle Rising
Life is Strange True Colors
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Dave the Diver
Celeste
Desperados 3

Thank you all for your continued engagement and contributions

#PSQGAMECLUB

One love 👍

@Pizzamorg @Mr_B021 @QualityGeezer @KilloWertz @Th3solution @Ryne-Gaia @crimsontadpoles @RogerRoger @Hallowmoonshadow @R1spam @CaptD @Th3solution @ralphdibny @LobsterJohnson @SillyBoyJudas @kidfried @Fight_Teza_Fight

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

sorteddan

Had another short session this morning. Completed the next mission where I had to beat up some guys in a warehouse and find a strange artifact. Before it let me get to that it seemed like a LOT of talking to different characters but I'm still in the early stages so I suppose the exposition and explanations are necessary.

I do like how whenever I bump into the other characters they seem to be in the middle of a conversation or doing other stuff, seems more natural than just standing in a room waiting for me to approach. Got a -1 reaction when I picked a dialogue option with Blade, almost tempted to load up my save and redo but that's maybe my insecurities needing everyone to like me!

As to the action, yeah fairly straightforward so far though I'm not really sure when/if which characters get to use the environmental items for a free hit. And wasn't planning to make much use of Blade but I do like a bleed effect in tactical games so maybe have to reassess that.

My main concern is that I've accidentally made my Hunter an uncanny resemblance of Mateo Kovacic, (buzz cut and stubble) so every time I see him in a cut scene I just can't help notice it. Will have to buy him a new hairstyle when I can afford it. Until then he has the unofficial superhero name of City Man.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Pizzamorg

Sorry all, I joined the club and then I took part in one or two games and then disappeared 😂 I never know where time goes! I don't know whether I will be doing a fresh playthrough of MS, but as the native MS salesman (😂) I'll be keeping an eye on the thread to see people's thoughts. Hope you all love it as much as me (even with all the various frustrations).

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JohnnyShoulder

@sorteddan Put him in the Fantastic 4 gear so he looks like he still plays for Chelsea. Can't think of any super heroes that have a light blue costume like Man City's kit.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

CaptD

@sorteddan A little less conversation, a little more action sounds like it might be in order.
@Pizzamorg Welcome back

I've just finished Tales of Arise so I will be starting this next.

CaptD

sorteddan

sorry can't save the world today, gonna be busy running around the woods picking mushrooms.
Why?
I don't know.

@CaptD
yes exactly that! Have put about 5 hours in so far and I reckon maybe an hour of that is the actual combat part. Think I will have to abandon the trophy hunt on this one and just go for completing the game. 60-90 hours is probably too much for me!

CaptD

Hi gang. Played around ten hours, unfortunately I have since got distracted by Helldivers 1 and PSVR2 so progress has been very slow.
Quite enjoy it though and I actually like the numerous cutscenes etc,, in order to break up one similar fight after another (at the moment at least)
I dropped the difficulty down to Story mode as I didn't fancy playing a 15 minute fight and then to lose at the end, cowardly perhaps but I'm here for the card playing (I'm a newbie) and the characters.

I will say though that they missed a trick and didn't include action banners such as "Pow" and "Whack", just like they used to do in the 60s Batman tv show.

CaptD

sorteddan

Around 15 hours in but think I've only done 3 (maybe 4?) main story missions as I mainly select side quest stuff to keep characters over levelled for the game.
Again I am enjoying it but for me there is just too much to find, read, talk to, busy work.

@CaptD
Guess we're different in that regard as I would happily play multiple missions back to back without the talky stuff in between if I had the option to.
You have any favourite characters yet? Personally am loving Captain Marvel especially when she goes binary!

Do enjoy the character animations during battle, in particular the heroic combo cards.

CaptD

@sorteddan Yeah I like Captain Marvel as well but Blade is good as well. I really don't know much about the Marvel universe, I even got Captain Marvel confused with Captain America before I booted up the game and I knew nothing of Captain Marvel until now. I do know Bruce Banner (don't make him angry) and Blade (also a good idea to not make him angry) and everyone knows Spidey. I guess this is why I like the cutscenes because it is all (mostly) new to me.

And yeah the combo animations etc.. are great.

CaptD

Th3solution

Throwing all caution to the wind, I decided to start Marvel’s Midnight Suns whilst simultaneously still playing my way through Marvel’s Spider-Man 2. I’m really enjoying Spider-Man 2 (I’m about 50% through) but I was interested to play another deck builder card game after the success of Inscryption. So if I go into Marvel overdose and start bumbling one liners like "If You're Nothing Without The Suit, Then You Shouldn't Have It” or "I Can Do This All Day” or "That's My Secret — I'm Always Angry”… well then please ban my account and call the mental asylum.

I’m early in Midnight Suns — just an hour or so, but enjoying it so far. They really didn’t market this game very well. It looks like it’s going to be a fully fleshed out sim / RPG with relationships, storylines, exploration, and collectibles. The card game part so far is rather simple. It plays more like a turn-based RPG where the actions during combat just happen to be randomized as cards instead of fixed in a menu. I guess time will tell if the deck-building aspect get more strategic like Inscryption. I assume it will. And if so, it’s looking to be a fantastic hybrid game which borrows from so many genres.

Playing side-by-side with Insomniac’s Spider-Man 2 does expose the voice acting, dialogue, and general writing as fairly mid-tier in comparison to Sony first party. Midnight Suns really doubles down on the MCU style of quippy humor and somewhat corny writing for these characters, rather than making it heavier and more dramatic like Insomniac’s games. Which is fine, by the way. It almost feels like the kind of game that I had wished Square-Enix’s Avengers game would have been. That game was just a total failed opportunity. It’s too bad the MCU has fizzled and become shunned over the last couple years, because I imagine Midnight Suns would have really been more successful if it would have come out a couple years earlier before the MCU and Metaverse oversaturation point. Because there’s really some early charm here with the character interactions and how cool of an idea it is to have this Meta story where all these heroes are hanging out and interacting together. It’s a fanboy’s dream. So it’s too bad it got mislabeled as a card game, which is so much more of a niche genre. Despite liking Marvel, I had not considered the game until I enjoyed another card game which opened my eyes to the possibility of maybe liking it, whereas so far, the card game aspects don’t feel very overbearing.

Anyways, that’s a lot of early impressions on a game I’m barely out of the tutorial for. I suspect I’ll have a lot more to say as the days go by.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

sorteddan

Well I have recently completed another couple of story missions and have been suitably impressed with the cinematic spectacle of both and how the plot is progressing.

The first was where Captain America joins the team and involved a rooftop battle on Avenger tower with the Cap chucking his shield at helicopters and the like. The next one I wasn't expecting and threw me alongside Nico and Majik up against a Lilith possessed Scarlet Witch.

I've solely been selecting the light option when available and only using light ability cards in battle and got the balance up to almost 100 now. Wondering if either of you are playing more balanced or even going dark?

I've become increasingly attached to Nico as part of my team as her unpredictable magic stuff can really be fun to use, especially Witchfire - that's currently my favorite.

@Th3solution
Yeah I agree with your point that it might have been more successful if it had released a couple of years earlier, before many of us succumbed to superhero fatigue.
And the deck building does start to play more of a part as you go on, more in deciding how you want the composition to be for each character. But I don't think you can go too far wrong as some facilities you can build later allow you to create new cards so even if you get rid of the ones you need you can always get them back (don't quote me on that).

Edited on by sorteddan

CaptD

@sorteddan Picking only the light options hey?! I sense someone who is going to go for the platinum. 😂
In all fairness the light options seem to me to be usually the correct (or civil) response....so far at least.

CaptD

sorteddan

@CaptD
No I'm actually not thinking of doing that! Though I may persuade myself otherwise later. I'm just trying to get all the perk unlocks for the light side as quick as I can.

Actually really enjoying it now, after another longer sesh today think I'm around 30 hours in, on game day 26 and am about to go searching for the third power word so I can explore more of the abbey.

sorteddan

So I've been making steady (slow) progress with this. Completed Act 1, the New York stages and now maybe halfway through the next set.

I've maxed out friendship levels with Captain Marvel and Nico aswell as the team friend level. Have now acquired all of the words of power so can freely explore all of the abbey areas (I think!).

Playing on normal skill level I find it surprising how many times I've barely scraped to victory when all seemed almost lost. Maybe that's an in built mechanic to make it seem more perilous!? I haven't actually failed any mission yet so unsure what happens when you do, whether it puts you back to restart it or just allows you to try again the next day? Saying that I do manage to squeak most of them with one of two star rating.

Still sometimes get bogged down by the amount of conversations it pushes me into having and the amount of text I need to read between missions and still mostly impressed with the cinematic spectacle and experience of the cut scenes and animations. Am gonna try and focus on the story missions and see if I can get somewhere close to finishing over the next week.

CaptD

I too have completed act 1, just this morning in fact but I have been main lining the story missions. I only have a couple of words of power some of the abbey is still closed to me...I need the Word which breaks the cracked walls I think.
Haven't maxed out any relationships or such like but I did remember to pet the dog for 15 days...daft trophy and it is trophies like that that give trophy hunting a bad name.

Now I just need to find that damn cat.

CaptD

sorteddan

Just done some more. Scarlet Witch is now is the house. Well in the abbey which is kind of my house anyways.

@CaptD
The break walls spell is the last one. The third is the remove vines and thorns away magic but the plot sends you straight in its direction when it's ready to.

With the demon dog (Charlie Wharley Puppyface) I've got mixed feelings... I like how petting it gives you random crap and I enjoy the blood gate battles where it gets involved but taking it for a walk round the grounds can be really frustrating. Make sure it stays close otherwise it has a really annoying tendency of getting stuck behind a rock or a tree and then staying in place until I go back and find it.

As for the cat I just did a run round the building everyday. If you get close it meows and then appears on the map... And petting it also gives random crap 😼 👍

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic