Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,281 to 1,288 of 1,288

ThinkDonald

LtSarge wrote:

@Th3solution I think TotK is not worth playing if you don't like building stuff. That aspect can completely ruin the game for certain people I think since it's such a huge part of the game. In fact, it made me drop it last year as I just couldn't bother playing it anymore. I vividly remember spending over half an hour at a part where I had to build a bridge and I just couldn't get it right due to the physics. I couldn't move on without the bridge, so it just ruined the pacing of the game for me. It's just ridiculous how heavily integrated that aspect is into the game as it's not for everyone. That's why I vastly prefer BotW over TotK due to its simplicity.

I feel like this was a fairly popular opinion amongst my friends and as someone who is 75% through all of my buildings are terrible but I've managed to get this far so idk. I honestly felt like it wasn't that big of a deal

ThinkDonald

Pizzamorg

Is it an unpopular opinion to say that as annoying as 60 fps elitists are, people who moan about them are just as annoying? šŸ˜‚ Like we get it, some people in that crowd do overblow what gaming is 30 fps is like - gaming in 30 fps is not "unplayable", but it is objectively inferior in all scenarios except when they put in an uncapped framerate where it is sometimes over 30 but most of the times worse. There you just want a fixed 30, if you must choose. However, it is also 2024, I think it should be okay to expect 60 fps at a minimum at this point, to not want to play games at 30 fps any more and be able to express that opinion without people saying '30 fps gaming is fine, stop overreacting!'.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Th3solution

@Pizzamorg šŸ˜‚ Thatā€™s fair. Itā€™s the ā€œUnpopular Opinionsā€ thread so every opinion is viable here.

I will say, of course 60 fps is better than 30 fps, all other things being equal. And if someone has performance ranked above every other aspect of the gameā€™s design, then thatā€™s their prerogative. Thereā€™s plenty of high performance 60-120 fps games to keep them busy if thatā€™s their priority. They donā€™t have to play Tears of the Kingdom or Bloodborne or whatever.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Pizzamorg

You know I am gonna be there day one @Th3solution to play that Breath of the Wild Switch 2 rerelease in upscaled 4k 60 fps and will be living my best life šŸ˜‚

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg shrug If people are gonna harp on about something in public, they're inviting disagreement with their views. Especially when it's unreasonable, and performance snobbery FREQUENTLY is.

It's not like people who quietly avoid lower framerate games are being harassed online or something. People who get pushback also tend to be people who whine endlessly about the issue.

I don't think it's a reasonable expectation to say: "I get to voice my complaints in public, often vociferously, but nobody is allowed to challenge those complaints."

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Pastellioli

Letā€™s seeā€¦

I prefer game performance and controls over the graphics. Even if the game looks terrible or is an older game, Iā€™ll still play it as long as it runs well and has a great control scheme.

I donā€™t mind console exclusives going multi-platform. I think itā€™s more convenient when games are shared between platforms.

I like playing older games over most modern games. I donā€™t hate modern games (as I do play a couple) and I believe people that say good things about them, but most donā€™t interest me. I tend to like the feelings and vibes some retro games give off from the era they were released in.

I like shorter games over longer games. Longer games donā€™t fit into my schedule and I get impatient when I canā€™t complete a long game fast.

They arenā€™t super popular titles, but I think Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and the remake of Conkerā€™s Bad Fur Day were not terrible like what most people said. They do have flaws but I didnā€™t think Nuts and Bolts was entirely bad and had pretty likeable parts, and I actually prefer Bad Fur Dayā€™s remake over the original despite having some slight gripes with it.

I know some people will be coming for my head over some of these lol. Itā€™s fine if you disagree with me!

Edited on by Pastellioli

Viva happy!

Iā€™m an elephant!

Currently playing: Rare Replay and Conker: Live and Reloaded

Current hyperfixation: Conkerā€™s Bad Fur Day

Enriesto

@Pastellioli this is probably one of the most balanced set of takes Iā€™ve seen šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t regard any of these as controversial, and I think you speak for most long-time gamers in your reasoning. Maybe your first one about controls and performance? Even then, Elden Ring shows us that people donā€™t care about eye-gushing graphics so long as everything else functions smoothly. Youā€™re g šŸ‘

Enriesto

Pastellioli

@Enriesto While I do think a game having nice visuals and graphics is definitely a plus and a great addition, I, in my opinion, think itā€™s more important if the game is playable and performs well. If a game I am playing has good visuals but performs badly (like long waiting times or a low frame rate) or has poor controls, then I am less likely to revisit it or stop playing it. If I am playing a game that has good performance and control but poor graphics or outdated ones (mostly referring to retro games), Iā€™ll keep on playing despite that, since I feel the way a game looks has little affect on the controls and performance.

With video games or any type of medium involving visuals (like an animated movie or animated show) you can still deliver a good and memorable experience even without stunning images and visuals. There are probably lots of games, movies and shows out there that everyone loves and fondly remembers despite the media not having the greatest visuals, animation, and outward appearance.

Edited on by Pastellioli

Viva happy!

Iā€™m an elephant!

Currently playing: Rare Replay and Conker: Live and Reloaded

Current hyperfixation: Conkerā€™s Bad Fur Day

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic