Forums

Topic: Disco Elysium

Posts 121 to 140 of 158

Thrillho

@themcnoisy The jamais vu thought is pretty overpowered and means you can end up ridiculously levelled up by the end of the game. I had that plus Art Cop which gave me XP for arty responses and I had a ridiculous set of stats in the end.

It sounds like your style is going similar to mine and probably quite a common way to play through the game.

The story opens up even more once you get to the second half of the map too. Enjoy!

Thrillho

themcnoisy

@Thrillho I'm almost at the end of Day 3 now. Strangely I've just compartmentalised Art cop and that's right over another cop one I wish I didn't do (average cop or something). I've browsed some of the earlier comments in this thread and like @kidfried wish I knew what I was getting into with the thought cabinet. Not being able to deselect it and potentially wasting a point is frustrating. But that does kind of sum up my playthrough. Initially I wasn't worried if I said something crazy - that's changed now. I want to play my character sober and nice. I kind of have to as Volition is at 1 and Authority is -2!!!

I chose art cop as I wanted to get the paint off the girl who lives above the apartments. My conceptualisation stat is quite high already so fingers crossed when I stick it back on I have more dice rolls against it. Kind of wish I didn't click on everything to start with now!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

nessisonett

@themcnoisy I finally ended up finishing that side quest with the girl’s paint on literally the final day 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

Beat the game today! And man, is it amazing. One of the best stories in gaming and just gives you a lot to think about.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@nessisonett Day 3 hero over here. I picked something about light shining over darkness. Glad @Thrillho mentioned the 2am thingy as I went to bed at around 9pm the previous nights. Picking up tare with my bag and flashlight, bringing home the bacon.

nessisonett

@themcnoisy Once the map opens up, you’ll have a little more to do at night-time. My favourite scene in the game can only happen when you’re on your own without Kim after he goes to bed!

themcnoisy

@Kidfried Loads to think about. I'm having conversations with my limbic system as we speak, mine has a nicer voice though tbh. My electrochemistry on the other hand is smashing me in the face asking for coffee and Turkish delight. It's 9pm mate, if I have that now I won't sleep! 'only 9pm, this isn't like you at all. Are you an old mangled corpse or the life of the party' - select middle option 'im neither of those'.

Shivers 'at 3pm last night you heard a groan coming from a bedroom next door'

internal empire 'maybe you should investigate that'

logic 'ay it was probably next door having sex'

electrochemistry 'sex yes that's why you want to stay up until 3am in the morning'

1- take coffee
2 - what's sex
3 - ask Jean about the proliferation
4 - buy booze

Thrillho

@Kidfried Congrats! Hopefully you’re pleased with the outcome although I was a little let down that it all eventually got pinned on the random bloke that you meet right at the end.

I’d be interested to see how it ended up for you but I guess it won’t be too far from how it finishes for most people.

@nessisonett Which scene is that you’re talking about?

Thrillho

Thrillho

@themcnoisy Most of the time there’s not much to do by 2am but there is a long “side quest” on the second part of the map that runs late at night. Ultimately though, using more time doesn’t make too much of a difference I think.

And I like this thread being bumped as it always nudges me a bit more towards my second run of the game

Thrillho

Kidfried

Thrillho wrote:

I was a little let down that it all eventually got pinned on the random bloke that you meet right at the end

I'll try an explanation for why I think the ending wasn't a letdown. Excuses in advance for English isn't my first language. Normally that's not too much of a problem, but this is just way harder to do!

I actually wasn't disappointed at all with the outcome. If this game was purely a detective story, than I might, but I thought it was fitting like this.

• I like that the murderer turned out to be just "a random bloke", because I think it fits with Disco Elysium's narrative theme, that often being a detective, and life in general, is just messy, often random and just... not very satisfying.
  • I think it latches onto your idea about the meaning of life as well. The murderer committed the murder in part because he was just stuck living in the past, with his life going nowhere. The other culprit, the phasmid, is nihilistic as well, but in a different way, not caring for the end of the world or human life. Solving the case was actually a way of finding/creating meaning where there was none. By making the murder itself quite worthless, the game shows you how valuable these other things are: fighting for your values, colleagues, honor, whatever you chose during the game. That's the meaning you have to create yourself, because you won't find it in the world or something. Sorry, I'm not really eloquent!
  • I did really like about the murder and it's solution that stuff actually made more sense. I was playing this with my partner and we were constantly going like "Aha, so that's why ..
    [something that happened in the game]". So maybe it wasn't really impressive, but it was very neat. It made sense.
  • And I like how actually everything in Revachol, everything you did, was kind of relevant to the murder. The phasmid? Relevant to the murder. The ball playing soldier? Relevant. The town's architecture? Relevant! Spme locations or door you never opened? Relevant. Everything you did in the game, was tied in to the overarching story, without it ever feeling like a side quest that was forced in. Really impressive world building!
  • By being the only one in the whole city who still was alive from the former communards, I think the murderer symbolized the city's past, its scars. By having him being invisible, even though he moved through the city over the course of decades, he literally was the ghost of the city's communist past. He was the singular person to represent that part of Revachol's history, he was a living scar. When you visit a place that's been the victim of a war, you can sometimes still see ruins, or stuff like that, but there's a lot of a city's painful history that you can not see. You can only experience a place's trauma by living in the place and experiencing it. And I thought that was what the murderer represented, the fallout of this big war. And with him gone, that actually gives us some hope for the future, that Martinaise at some point will become something different than "the former capital" or "a city in ruins", but instead I don't know... the city of the music of the future, maybe!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Thrillho

The date(?) scene with Lilienne. It was great in the original game but the voice acting in Final Cut is fantastic and it has some of the most beautiful dialogue in the game. It’s probably my favourite scene, along with the Dolores Dei/Dora scene towards the very end and the random phone calls to Dora on the pay phone.

Thrillho

@Kidfried No need to apologise for your English there as I found your eloquent words quite interesting.

I was being a bit flippant with the "random bloke" comment but it felt a little bit of a cop out to throw in someone completely new at the end rather than have to pin it onto one of the established characters.

I do completely agree with your sentiment that everyone and everything is involved in some way though and no one is completely innocent in the whole scenario, even if it is only one person who pulls the trigger..

@nessisonett I had forgotten about that scene but can see why you'd remember it. Probably because it's one of the few nihilism free (or lite anyway) sections of the whole game!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Special mention to the dicemaker dialogue, which is also brilliant, somewhat hidden and bolstered by a lovely soundtrack!

Kidfried

@nessisonett @Thrillho Feels like I missed out on a great scene there. I chose not to engage with her in that way, because it sounded like the character had no right intentions in dating the woman

One of my favorite scenes is the communist book club. Not because I'm a communist or anything, but because of the symbolic meaning of building that great building from matchboxes alone: sometimes unlikely great and big things happen. I think the beauty of something like that is bigger because of all the nihilism surrounding it. Dark stuff is darker when it happens in a bright world (Chicory, Earthbound, etc), so the other way around must be true as well!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Ahh, I did a different political vision quest in my playthrough. Think it was the hustler one so I ended up insanely rich and gave the statue in the plaza a ‘makeover’ worthy of the name Tequila Sunset!

Kidfried

@nessisonett A part of me really wants to play the game in a different way to see what could have been, another part of me really wants to keep this image of the protagonist as a die-hard leftist, who only risks ruining the case for his brothers (and his necktie!).

Kidfried

Thrillho

@nessisonett @Kidfried I had the "book club" quest too which I quite enjoyed, even if it wasn't quite where I thought that political ideology would end up taking me (but it did all feel rather apt).

Thrillho

suikoden

Got the physical version today , it says free upgrade too ps5 on box but no sign of
How it's done no option in game or any updates

suikoden

johncalmc

@Kidfried I tried playing the game a second time as a scumbag and I only got two hours in and it all felt wrong and weird and I never went back to it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic