Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,901 to 8,920 of 8,943

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Right, the 8 hour runtime tracks with the miniseries I have access to, so probably the same Been on my watchlist for a while but I kind of forgot about it. Highly topical these days, so may pull the trigger on it this weekend. Thanks for reminding me

FuriousMachine

JohnnyShoulder

@FuriousMachine Cheers for tag! That is useful to know!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

I'm a bit torn of when to get The Abyss and Aliens. It goes against my natural penny pinching instincts to get anything at full price, so tempted to wait until the price drops a bit. Plus by then I would have watched the 4K's I bought recently.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

FuriousMachine

I had absolutely no interest in Transformers One but today I decided to check out the trailer and I must say it looks way better than it has any right to be Definitely changed my mind about this, will check it out in the theatres now.

FuriousMachine

JohnnyShoulder

@Jimmer-jammer I can't imagine why you didn't like the ending of Men.

I enjoyed it though, and is what me and a mate of mine would class as a 'WTF' movie. 😂 The only fault I could find with is that the cgi in places looked a bit dodgy. It is a hard one to recommend though!

Jimmer-jammer

@JohnnyShoulder I was really enjoying the movie as well! I was just severely disappointed by the ending, thus the frustration. I found it so reductive. Like, it threw aside all of the points the movie had already so effectively and eloquently made (and let’s face it, this was very much a film about ‘points’), picked the most obvious and uninteresting one, then turned to shock value in order to beat the audience over the head with it. The material deserved better as it did nothing for me but reduce the whole ordeal to complete silliness and ended up being a film that didn’t have much to say at all. ‘WTF’ movie, indeed! 😂

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

XandertheWise

watched the Before the Fire movie from 2020. locally made in South Dakota especially in the Mitchell area.

also this weekend I'm watching these on Tubi

George Carlin's 1990 and 1992 HBO stand up specials
Vampire Lovers the old Jess Franco movie or whoever directed it

Silverado on Netflix before it leaves Netflix

XandertheWise

FuriousMachine

Just returned from Abigail, the new movie from directors Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett (collectively know as Radio Silence), who previously did Ready or Not, Scream V and Scream VI, all of which I've enjoyed immensely.
Abigail did not disappoint. I had an enormously good time with it; it is the kind of horror movie I adore. The cast, led by Melissa Barrera, Dan Stevens, Kathryn Newton and Kevin Durand, are clearly having a blast and Alisha Weir is a revelation as the sweet little girl of the title.
If you enjoyed the previous movies from Radio Silence, chances are you will enjoy this one too. I would recommend going in blind if you can; the trailer gives away the central concept and while it is by no means intended to be some big secret or twist, I think it would be even more fun if you don't know about it going in. There are bucketloads of blood and gore in this, so be forewarned if you don't like that sort of thing
The first properly good horror movie I've seen in 2024

Edited on by FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

XandertheWise

Besides the Abigail movie being underrated recently there's also that A24 movie Civil War that I think everyone else is missing out on

Then next month is the 25th anniversary of Star Wars Phantom Menace which will be in theaters May 3rd. Wonder if there will be new Star Wars collectibles in theaters next month or not?

XandertheWise

FuriousMachine

Saw Civil War last night and I think it's easily Alex Garland's best film; the first of his I've fully liked without reservation.
As @RR529 mentioned earlier, it eschews any political messaging, which actually elevates the movie, in my opinion, as it then manages to focus completely on showing the nightmare that awaits when a nation ends up resolving its differences through force and violence.
If I were to offer a tiny bit of criticism I think the movie could have benefited from making a hard statement about the importance of a free press, but the statements the movie does make are powerful enough, so I'm not complaining.
Visceral, engaging and thought provoking, I would absolutely recommend seeing this one, regardless of where you stand on the political spectrum.

FuriousMachine

LN78

An amusing side effect of James Cameron's AI assisted cleanup/restoration/ruination of "True Lies" (4K blu-ray courtesy of my brother) is that - in true Roger Moore Bond fashion - Arnie's stunt double is painfully, obviously visible in quite a few of the action sequences, particularly in the snowbound opening footchase and during the horseback pursuit of Art Malik's skeezy terrorist villain. I was reminded of the scene in Mel Brooks' "Spaceballs" where the inept Stormtroopers are berated for having captured the heroes' stunt performers as the real stars make good their escape.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LN78

On the topic of "True Lies", it's the second of these three recent Cameron 4K releases (the other being "The Abyss") where the female characters are given a particularly sh*tty deal - JLC's character is variously an idiot, a pawn or a sex object while Tia Carrere's Juno is given a nasty slapping around (good thing she's a baddie, I guess) for being "a stupid, undisciplined b*tch". Coming from a filmmaker like James Cameron who has a reputation for depicting some of cinema's greatest feminist icons, this all sits a bit badly with me. Anyway, the film itself is still pretty funny thanks to Bill Paxton and Tom Arnold's superb comic turns and the climactic harrier jump jet sequence is a trip, especially with the addition of a thumping new Atmos sound mix - I'll be waiting for a sale before I buy a copy for my own collection, though. I don't like the new picture grading at all.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

XandertheWise

dunno why even though I've seen the movie a gazillion times, I was watching the first half of Conan the Destroyer on Netflix last night. Still a great fun movie and I still think its more an R rated movie instead of a so called "PG" movie

XandertheWise

Jimmer-jammer

@FuriousMachine Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Think I’m fully convinced now to give it a watch in the cinema.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

RR529

Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams (Tubi) - Old stoner movie from the early 80's. Our titular pair rip off a bunch of product from their supplier (which turns it's smokers into lizards, for some reason), and antics ensue as they try to evade the police. It's funny enough for what it is, and worth a watch just to see Paul Reubens (of Pee Wee Herman fame) play a coked out mental patient.

Metal Skin Panic: Madox-01 (Blu-Ray) - the US Army loses a prototype battle armor in a Tokyo traffic accident, a young mechanic gets stuck in it while mucking around with it, but no time to get it off as he has to be on time for a date with his estranged girlfriend before she goes off to study in Europe! He'll make his rendezvous no matter what, even if he has to fight off the Army trying to reclaim it's toy along the way. This is short & to the point (under an hour long), and is a pretty fun watch. I just love the vibe of these old 80's sci-fi OVAs.

Rebel Moon Part 1: A Child of Fire (Netflix) - This doesn't have a single original bone in it's body, whether it be aesthetically or narratively. A hodgepodge of locations & ideas ripped from other more notable sci-fi & fantasy properties without any attempt to make them mesh together in a cohesive way (& the narrative itself is just the first half of Seven Samurai spread out over 2 & a half hours), but what it does have going for it is a very gigantic, impressive even, sense of scale & grandeur with some fun action (even if it goes laughably overkill on the slow-mo & lens flare). This isn't a "good" movie, but it's the kind of project that's probably the favorite film of some nerdy 13 year old boy out there, and as someone who was a nerdy 13 year old boy at some point myself, it appealed to that part of me (which is how I feel about a lot of Zack Snider stuff come to think of it, kind of like a guilty pleasure. If he ever gets to release that big R rated cut I heard he wants to release, I'll probably be there).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

FuriousMachine

@Jimmer-jammer Glad to hear it, it lends itself well to the big screen and the sound design is incredible and extremely effective in a theatre with a proper sound system. Hope you'll like it!

@RR529 I can't believe it, but you almost sold me on watching Rebel Moon!
I was also that nerdy 13 year old boy and he's still with me... I will probably hold off until that R-rated thing shows up and see if that reviews better, though.

Speaking of Snyder, I was sad to learn that there are no special plans for the 20th anniversary of what I think is his best movie, Dawn of the Dead, but he did suggest that he thought it was due for a remaster. Question is if he'll ever get around to it....

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine I think we'd all be better off without any more Snyder, quite honestly. Never been able to forgive him for butchering "Watchmen".

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Snyder would have made for a pretty decent cinematographer, he does know how to put a good shot together. He just sort of got too big despite making an awful lot of rubbish, meaning he could only ever be a director. Perhaps with a better writing partner he could do something worthwhile (although I stand by the Snyder Cut being vastly better than Josstice League) but he would have been much better behind the camera than making any sort of executive decision surrounding story and the way in which character development is presented on screen.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett I've actually swung back the other way on "Justice League" - I prefer the Whedon version. It's over more quickly.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic