Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 2,214

Jimmer-jammer

@Black_Swordsman Hey! We’re doing well, thanks. Had a good Family Day long weekend. Interesting list there! So, I found this really hard to do. Some of my favourite bands/artists have albums that I don’t enjoy from start to finish. I ended up relying on two main criteria. First, albums that work for me as an entire album start to finish, second, albums that I can put on anytime, anywhere and still get sucked in to the whole thing. Ended up with a surprisingly modern and kind of bizarre list 😂

In no particular order:

1. The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

2. August Burns Red - Found in Far Away Places

3. Billy Talent - Dead Silence

4. Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

5. Emery - Rub Some Dirt On It

6. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

7. Funeral For a Friend - Welcome Home Armageddon

8. Anberlin - Vital

9. Underoath - Define the Great Line

10. The Glitch Mob - Love Death Immortality

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@Jimmer-jammer Glad to hear it. Great list, all very much in the rock Wheelhouse ,of course, haha, but that's ok ,different strokes for different folks. I have personal reasons for not going back to that sort of music based on lifestyle choices I made whilst listening to that type of music. The type of music you listen to definitely affects your attitude to life, well, in my case at least, but I recognise that it's all subjective, of course. I appreciate you listening to my jazz recommendations.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

Been listening to a lot of Paul Dunmall & J. Cole music recently, here are what I think the best albums by both artists are so far. (Paul Dunmall is jazz & J. Cole is hip hop.)

Edited on by BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

Just dropped today. Currently the world's best jazz guitarist.

AgentCooper

@Black_Swordsman Appreciate you taking the time to share all this. I’ve recently resubbed to Apple Music as I was starved of music haha will be working through some of these 👍

Currently I can’t seem to listen to anything but Black Thought. Have a good one buddy

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@Bundersvessel I'm glad you are enjoying Black Thought's work and hope that you enjoy the others such as Robed in Rareness by Shabazz Palaces just as much.

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

Sounds amazing. Had to share.

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@Jimmer-jammer the above album is the best jazz album I have heard since Mingus 'Black Saint' album, had to point you in it's direction. 😃
Incredible stuff, hope you like. (Amazing melodies and ideas/playing)

I imagine I'll speak to you next when RotR is out and we've had the chance to fully immerse ourselves in it's open world! Take care for now my friend!

Jimmer-jammer

@Black_Swordsman Very cool! It has a big band vibe to me. I especially like 20 Minuten and The What?. Thanks for sharing!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

Amazing jazz/contemporary classical fusion work from veteran jazz guitarist Mike Walker, not much guitar on the album but he composed the whole thing and said he wanted to let the voices of the other players ring loud and clear!

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

My latest offering, quite metal-lic in parts, for those who like that sort of thing, but definitely still jazz.

nessisonett

It may have taken till the 30th anniversary but The Holy Bible by the Manics has finally clicked. I always really liked their more traditional stuff, Everything Must Go is insanely good partly because of how raw their emotions about poor Richey Edwards are on it, but I always went back and forth on Edwards’ actual music. The Holy Bible is just a relentlessly angry and cynical album, which is hard to put into words. Perhaps the country being in the state it is made the album click, it resonates with me at this particular time that it didn’t before. I feel like apologising to the entirety of Wales.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@nessisonett I used to love that album during my rock phase. Great guitar work from Richey Edwards.

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

Amazing jazz work from Binker, Moses and Evan Parker.

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@Jimmer-jammer Glad you liked it man, I interrupted our communication break to bring you this, whimsical borderline 'free' jazz from the Art Ensemble of Chicago. The two surviving members are in their late 70s now I believe, and have, as I think is right and proper, been giving voice to younger musicians in their most recent albums, taking more of a songwriting and background role on the records, I think that is better than just blocking the newer generations from coming through by blocking potential revenue for them. Cough Rolling Stones Cough I don't know how you feel about my thoughts here? All the best man, trust you and the family are well. Looking forward to Friday (RotR release)

N.B I thought I would get the Digital Deluxe edition if funds allow as I quite like the idea of walking around the towns and talking to NPCs in the Japanese formal wear of the time. (Only available with that edition, as far as I'm informed).

N.B II How do you feel about RotR going up against DD2? Feel free to respond in the Chit Chat Thread to the PS5-related stuff as I seem to have rather derailed the topic from music!

Jimmer-jammer

@Black_Swordsman Yeah, I think that’s great that they’re giving a voice to younger generations! I’ll check the album out when I can. Sounds really interesting.

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

Just dropped my latest EP available on Spotify (jazz-based fusion with elements of heavy music interpolated within it) https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2qYBfIp2u1HLFTY4saIxL2?si=8...

and SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/ltomlinson9 ( 1) Black $word$man 2) Gh0$t TrAp 3) Another Moon ) - Tracklist.

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

After all that macho electric jazz and hip hop that I had been listening to recently, I needed something to just chill out to, and put this on. Classic.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic