Forums

Topic: Gaming's pet peeves

Posts 101 to 120 of 459

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Oh I wasn't saying to stop posting about difficulty in video games, I wouldn't make such bold requests. It was just my very poor attempt at cracking a joke!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

NecuVise

@Thrillho I did play that scene probably on the lowest difficulty but didn't struggle THAT MUCH with it, although I did. There were some others too. It was such a frustrating experience for me. The previous two games also had broken difficulty and wild spikes but this was on another level.

NecuVise

Th3solution

Ok, I have a pet peeve that’s not necessarily exclusive to gaming, but does apply. I was prompted by my iPhone to update to the lastest iOS today and I had to go through the typical steps including clicking “agree” on the user license agreement. — Do they actually expect us to read that entire legal document of cryptic word salad before we agree to use the software?! It’s the most annoying thing in the world. To bring it back to gaming, these EULA agreements are ubiquitous in the gaming world too. Usually prompting you to click “agree” at the onset of logging in online or at other random times when booting up software. Does anyone actually read the “agreement” and say, “Oh, no. I just can’t agree to this. They are asking too much of me. I guess I’ll just turn this device off now and return the game to the store.” I mean, if you don’t agree to the terms you might as well just turn in your PS4, and all electronic devices you own and live off the grid until the day you die.
Perhaps I’m naive, but I don’t actually read those things, or if I do, it’s a quick scan and then a reflexive “agree” click so I can be on my way. Perhaps someone more schooled in software legalities can educate me on why we need to do this. It apparently fills a legal need, but is completely impractical. The average end user has no idea what he/she is agreeing to when they click “agree”. It’s just filling a void for a legal hoop to jump through, but does nothing to aid the consumer if the document is 20 pages long and not written at a level that the public can comprehend.
Anyways, sorry for the rant. I’m off my soapbox.
Click “agree” to carry on with your day.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I can’t remember but it sounds like a Vita kind of thing, but it may have been the PS3 too.
And that practice of ‘forcing’ the user to at least scan the entirety of the document is a reasonable thing to do, but highlights the stupidity of these agreements in that when you actually scroll through screen after screen of it you come to realize that you have to possess a law degree to fully understand it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Very true. Also, very disturbing.
Excuse me while I look for a new place to live off the grid...

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Ha, ha! Nah, I’m a technology addict just like everyone else. I’d probably not even last one day out there disconnected from the world. That’s why I play survival video games — so I can pretend like I’m living out in the rough away from the world. (Oh the irony of it all....)

JJ-firl

@Th3solution This article about an experiment, conducted by two communication professors, sums up nicely what is wrong with the way this is handled. They created a fictional social network site called 'NameDrop'

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/03/terms-of-s...

'The words on the screen, in small type, were as innocent and familiar as a house key. “By clicking Join,” they read, “you agree to abide by our terms of service.” Hundreds of college students tapped the big green “Join” button to become members of NameDrop, a new social network. But according to paragraph 2.3.1 of the terms of service, they’d agreed to give NameDrop their future first-born children.'

'...For example, users give web-based services – and third parties the services contract with, about which users know nothing – the right to keep, analyze and sell their data. Increasingly often, too, people click away their right to go to court if anything goes wrong. “There’s a real concern that consumer protection law is basically being swallowed by click-by-agree clauses,”

Edited on by JJ-firl

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

Thrillho

The Human CentiPad episode of South Park did a great take on those user agreemenents.

Thrillho

Kidfried

roe wrote:

One of my bigger concerns going in unfortunately holds up. The game clock is way too fast for what the game's trying to do. You can walk into the general store in the morning, have a browse through the excellently in depth catalogue and by the time you're finished it's night time, or maybe even the next morning. That's just ridiculous and completely ruins some of the immersion for me. I really don't understand why they haven't fixed that or at least added an option to change it depending on your play style.

Look, I love the game and there's no doubt I'm gonna spend dozens of hours in it so it can't be that bad but there's a ton of annoyances that I feel could've been avoided.

I think it's all the more frustrating because this game is so close to being as perfect as I'd hoped, there's just a lot of little things holding it back.

@roe This is important. Game clocks are way too fast. I mean, why would it be a problem if at the end of the game, I've only seen the sun set 6 times?

Kidfried

roe

@Kidfried yeah exactly. And I wouldn't even have a problem with them skipping time so that it's more relevant for certain story beats and what not. I guess most people aren't bothered by little things like that but it's definitely something that frustrates me when it seems such an easy problem to solve.

roe

Jaz007

I think the Sims suffer from that when you take a shower or something. Even worse when you spend an hour fighting the games glitchyness and then get kicked out of where you are because it’s closing time.but at the same time, the game takes long enough to do anything without that much more time in the day.

Jaz007

Th3solution

Can I just say how annoying it is that every time I turn on my PS4 it’s downloading a Fortnite update. I’m pretty close to deleting the stupid thing. I don’t really ever play it except on the very rare instance of a friend wanting a go for a few minutes before it becomes too boring. So, yeah, like 10 minutes.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I deleted it ages ago as I was fed up with the updates. That goes for every free to play title I've tried.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution i deleted that game 5 minutes after starting it, game is boring as hell but regardless of that i do agree that the amount of updates games need now a days is stupid, sometimes it's like every time you turn your system on something is updating

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Thrillho

A new one; why do games often have a sort of trailer in their own game? Most of these seem to come about if you hang around on the main menu without pressing anything but I recently finished Yakuza 0 and that had a scene that would play every time you opened the game.

These are often random cuts of loads of different parts of the game so they don't make sense before playing but quite often have unimportant spoilers. For example in Nier Automata it showed you entering the amusement park which is quite a cool moment in the game.. but not when you've already seen it coming.

I mean, I've already bought the game so there's no need to try and sell it to me now.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho I quite like those and am a bit disappointed when there isn't one. Really like the one for Bloodborne.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @Thrillho Best main menu idle screen is Detroit Become Human. Sometimes I just leave it on the main menu and watch and wait to see what happens. 😅

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD do you see all the people complaining because Pikachu was male, saying things like "Pikachu is meant to be female" or "Ash's Pikachu isn't male, so get a female voice for it" and the funny thing is, this ISN'T Ash's Pikachu, it's like they forgot Pikachu isn't just the characters name BUT also the name of the actual breed of Pokemon and shock, horror there are both male and female ones

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD @FullbringIchigo I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting from it - but I thought it looked like a great time!

I do have a care to some extent with the 'hardcore' fan base - it's hard to see something you enjoy so much represented in a way that you don't like (here's looking at you Tyler Hoechlin! ), especially when it becomes very popular (here's looking at you Pokemon Go! #Ingressforlife #stoppedplayingyearsagobutstillannoyed).

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic