Forums

Topic: You Died. The Dark Souls Series Discussion Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 172

Th3solution

@Black_Swordsman Ah, yes - the Tower of Latria. I have many recurrent nightmares about that place. šŸ˜‚

Seriously, I recall it being really tough. I believe thatā€™s where you run into those enemies with squid faces that can use magic on you and if you get too close to them they paralyze you and then leech onto you and suck your health. I hated those guys. šŸ˜…

And the general arrangement of the map there is tough to navigate with confusing corridors that intersect and multiple floors that all look the same. Not mention the whole setting is just so creepy. And then thereā€™s a lot of backtracking through it to go back for that mage NPC if you want to save him.

The Foolā€™s Idol was pretty hard as well. At least for me, I think I died 4-5 times to her before finally coming out victorious. As I recall I had to try and use the environment to shield against a lot of the magic attacks. Also, thereā€™s a critical NPC involved in the level that will be key to success over the boss. (Not saying more to avoid spoilers). Honestly, itā€™s a level that almost requires using some kind of guide or walkthrough assistance to keep from driving you insane.

So yeah ā€” not my favorite level, that. šŸ˜…

As for my DS2 playthrough, not much new to report. Iā€™ve just had limited time so I spent it doing some grinding in Forest of Giants. Iā€™ve got too many real life quests this week. Some of which are almost as annoying as the Tower of Latria! šŸ˜œ

@HallowMoonshadow Interesting. DS2 came out in a time period when I was taking a break from gaming. Both Dark Souls sequels and the Scholar version of 2 all released unnoticed by me during that time. Iā€™ve shared my experience on here before I think, but I picked up the original PS3 Dark Souls on a whim when I asked the GameStop employee for recommendations for another game like Skyrim. I had just poured a ton of time into Bethesdaā€™s grand opus and was hungry for another fantasy based RPG with dragons, mythical creatures, and magic. He pointed me toward Dark Souls! šŸ˜‚ Definitely not the same thing as Skyrim! In his defense, he did warn me that it was difficult and was really open ended without much guidance. But still, it was not what I really expected at the time so I didnā€™t really stick with it. (I then found a more suitable RPG to sate my appetite in Dragonā€™s Dogma)

Anyways, for some reason I fell in and out of gaming for a little while during the late PS3 and early PS4 era, and when I did play, I was more into TLoU, BioShock, Tomb Raider, Assassinā€™s Creed, Infamous, etc rather than the fantasy genre.

Ah, the memoriesā€¦

Anyways, Iā€™ve said this many times as well, but I really think that the only reason Iā€™ve become a Soulsborne fan is because of the access to assistance and the copious guides and aids online nowadays. When I played Dark Souls for the first time back on PS3 I was just so easily confused and now thereā€™s plenty of resources at my fingertips if Iā€™m need help figuring out where to go or how to proceed. Hats off to people (like yourself I assume) who played Dark Souls and Demonā€™s Souls without access to YouTube or Fextralife. šŸ˜„

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution wrote:

Interesting. DS2 came out in a time period when I was taking a break from gaming. Both Dark Souls sequels and the Scholar version of 2 all released unnoticed by me during that time. Iā€™ve shared my experience on here before I think, but I picked up the original PS3 Dark Souls on a whim when I asked the GameStop employee for recommendations for another game like Skyrim. I had just poured a ton of time into Bethesdaā€™s grand opus and was hungry for another fantasy based RPG with dragons, mythical creatures, and magic. He pointed me toward Dark Souls! šŸ˜‚ Definitely not the same thing as Skyrim! In his defense, he did warn me that it was difficult and was really open ended without much guidance. But still, it was not what I really expected at the time so I didnā€™t really stick with it. (I then found a more suitable RPG to sate my appetite in Dragonā€™s Dogma)

Anyways, for some reason I fell in and out of gaming for a little while during the late PS3 and early PS4 era, and when I did play, I was more into TLoU, BioShock, Tomb Raider, Assassinā€™s Creed, Infamous, etc rather than the fantasy genre.

Ah, the memoriesā€¦

Anyways, Iā€™ve said this many times as well, but I really think that the only reason Iā€™ve become a Soulsborne fan is because of the access to assistance and the copious guides and aids online nowadays. When I played Dark Souls for the first time back on PS3 I was just so easily confused and now thereā€™s plenty of resources at my fingertips if Iā€™m need help figuring out where to go or how to proceed. Hats off to people (like yourself I assume) who played Dark Souls and Demonā€™s Souls without access to YouTube or Fextralife. šŸ˜„

I definitely recall you mentioning that gamestop story somewhere or other.

That's such a jarring shift and I can only imagine your befuddlement... Though I'd play DS over Skyrim any day of the week!

And hey whatever you wanna do sol! Ain't no wrong way to play, long as you're having fun and enjoying yourself.

I try to go in as blind as possible but I have looked up a thing or two!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Yeah, it is definitely tough, with the Thief Ring and Photo Mode at my disposal I am playing this level more like a stealth game, I think that that is encouraged within World 3, again, like you said, I can see a bit of the early experimentation of the FromSoft designers that you spoke of, surfacing ,and I am gingerly making progress, got a couple of sets of keys so far and have killed a few Mind Flayers, through the use of stealth attacks, for the most part. šŸ¤£ And, yeah, it has slowed me down a bit, compared to the way I was tearing through the game before.

Best of luck on your real-life quests and let me know how it goes when you start toppling bosses in the game.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@Black_Swordsman (continued thoughts from the other thread) ā€” Yeah, the fire longsword is supposed to be very effective for early and mid-game in Dark Souls 2. Apparently it isnā€™t enough to carry you through the whole game, so I still am targeting a rapier type build with my Hex casting for when I want long-range combat. Iā€™m trying to decide between the Estoc and the standard Rapier though. I need to do a little more research. The standard rapier seems to get most of the love online, but the estoc has better reach and I think it has a swipe attack to supplement its poking attacks.

But Iā€™m just going to experiment around a little with the fire longsword in the early game, as well as my mace. I started with a specific build in mind but now Iā€™m just all over the place with my ideas. I want to do and try everything. šŸ˜…

But to answer your question - Overall the game has been great, even compared to its predecessors. In my opinion itā€™s easier so far than DeS and DS1. The immediate access to quick travel is partly the reason. It makes it so easy to just run back and forth to spend souls in Majula. They make up for it with spamming hoards of goons at you, but they go down easily and Iā€™ve been able to tactically kite and bottleneck most of the groups with a little planning ahead of time. And having the Dark Orb Hex to keep my distance when I want has been nice. I do feel like there is a certain something missing from the game compared to the other From games, but I might be just imagining that since I know Miyazaki wasnā€™t as involved.

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution glad to hear youā€™re enjoying Dark Souls 2 buddyā€¦ not least as I was one of the guys pushing you to play it and not simply jump straight to Dark Souls 3. On the whole I would agree with the general consensus of it being the weakest of the From souls-likesā€¦ but itā€™s up against some pretty special competition to be fair and is still pretty great in its own way.

Looking forward to reading more as you progress further.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

CaptD

@colonelkilgore It is imo the weakest From game but still a good game especially most of the dlc (that Silent hill area can get stuffed though).
My main problem was that Miyazaki games taught you to have patience and observe whereas Dark Souls 2 seemed to rely on gank squads. Too many boss arenas result in you just legging in through gank squads in order to repeat the boss fight.
That isn't to mention the insane tracking that bosses have, too many oversized humans wielding big weapons that can turn on a dime. Also pretty boring bosses (as I say too many armoured humans), I still remember the feeling of entering the tower knight and seeing what a amazing spectacle it was, very few instances of that in Dark Souls 2 and the main one was spoiled in the pre release videos.

Still I'm glad people are enjoying it, I did honestly.

Edited on by CaptD

CaptD

colonelkilgore

@CaptD all fair assessments buddyā€¦ it sure ainā€™t perfect by any means but I enjoyed it a helluva lot more than I thought I would having listened to the online shade.

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Mentioning you here because I just got done with Old Monk and you were interested in hearing about how I fared against the boss. I cheesed matters a bit by playing offline, so he summoned the easy-to-defeat NPC which uses beast claws and magic, took a few hits with the Curse Weapon-imbued Dragon Bone Smasher+2 to down him. How did you fare against the boss yourself?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Mikey856

Does Demons count? Currently doing the remake platinum and I adore it . 12/10

Mikey856

Mikey856

@colonelkilgore did you manage the platinum mate? Iā€™m doing it all solo because I really enjoy the souls grind. Just defeated Dragon God with the Fists Of God lol that was trickier than I thought it was going to be due to his fire breathing

Edited on by Mikey856

Mikey856

colonelkilgore

@Mikey856 congrats buddy, though sounds like you made it tougher than you needed to šŸ˜…. Yeah Iā€™m a bit of a plat-whore tbh (ā€˜bitā€™ being the operative word šŸ¤£). I also platā€™d the PS3 version, which is much more of a pain in the butt tbhā€¦ some rng shenanigans that From have thankfully gotten out of their system over the years.

Good luck with the rest of that plat bud and enjoy the rest of an epic ride.

**** DLC!

Mikey856

@colonelkilgore thanks bro Iā€™m enjoying every second of it!..oh wow yes Iā€™d love the og demons platinum as Iā€™d imagine with the ps3s limitations itā€™s a much tougher plat to get, nice work. Did you platinum Bloodborne too?

Edited on by Mikey856

Mikey856

colonelkilgore

@Mikey856 cheers budā€¦ yeah Bloodborne was the plat that started this whole trophy hunting gig for me (& still my favourite game of all time). Iā€™ve got all the Fromsoft souls and souls-like platsā€¦ and a fair few of the non-From souls-likes too. As far as the most difficult, Iā€™d have to go with Sekiro or Nioh 2ā€¦ there were some points during both of those where I just thought it wasnā€™t gonna happen. Iā€™m yet to play Lies of P but have heard thatā€™s a particularly tough plat tooā€¦ canā€™t ****ing wait! šŸ˜‰

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@Black_Swordsman When I did the Old Monk boss, I stayed online, and I had an invader come and then leave before I got there and so I ended up with the NPC also, which as I recall was a fairly easy fight. (Although not as easy as yours with your DBS +2 šŸ˜„)

Ralizah

@colonelkilgore Can't imagine platting Bloodborne. Although I am proud of myself for going back and finally beating it. It was gnawing at me for years having never seen it to the credits.

I could see myself platting Elden Ring if I'd played it on Playstation, or if I replayed it on PS4, but having to fight Malenia again... life's too short.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

colonelkilgore

@Ralizah I never thought Iā€™d get any platinum tbhā€¦ but I was enjoying Bloodborne so much I just didnā€™t want it to end. So I just kept exploring and looking for things to doā€¦ then a couple of guys in work who are on my friends list came up to me on lunch and were like ā€œyou going for the plat on Bloodborne or sumfink?ā€. I wasnā€™tā€¦ but I checked the trophies that night and realised it was definitely on, so ended up popping my first ever plat around a week later.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic