Forums

Topic: PS4 500gb more than enough - games dont really take 50gb

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

charlesnarles

I posted this somewhere already, but the OS takes up 92gb, leaving 408 (not getting into how 1kb actually = 1024 bytes). I got AC4, KZ:SF and BF4 and installed them all,  along with Contrast, Resogun, Netflix and a few other small DLs. The game boxes admit to being around 35gb average, so I figured I'd see 70-100 more gbs taken up, but the number barely budged. Anyone been able to make their free space dwindle? Cause it seems like they made it compress the heck out of all the data. Any thoughts?

"Oh yeah? How 'bout I slap you and kill you?" - Curtis Ackers, SH: Homecoming

PSN: charlesnarles

PMasterTy9

Yeah I noticed the same thing. I have KZ, NFS, AC4, and all of the free games including the demos and I my usage is around 120GB so far. Oh, if you want to save space make sure you delete your captures that you don't want or need. I don't know how come they are taking up less space than advertised but it's a good thing.

PSN ID: tgraves82

PSN: TGraves82 | Twitter:

Scollurio

Wow thats good unexpected news! Still glad though my 1TB SSHD arrived in the mail today!

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

Reverend_Skeeve

Wow...not getting my PS4 until the 29th, but this is good news, indeed! Hopefully, the PS4 displays the remaining space correctly and this is not a wrong number due for some time needed until the available space is "updated" and shown correctly (But why should that be the case? Maybe just being a little paranoid here...). Seems I won't have to upgrade my HDD as soon as I thought.

Reverend_Skeeve

DannyB

I am waiting until after the first of the year to upgrade my HDD. Seagate/Samsung is supposed to be releasing the SpinPoint M9T to the public in January. It will be the world's first 2.5in, 9.5mm tall, 2TB HDD. I really hope they make an SSHD version of it too. Right now they are only releasing it to PC OEM's and they are supposed to be selling it in an external USB 3.0 config in the M and P series but I can't find those for sale yet. If they do the external drives first, I will just buy one of them and remove the drive from the case.

DannyB

PSN: Ima_Riskit

PMasterTy9

After Installing KZ, NFS, ACIV, Knack, Ghosts, Resogun, Warframe, Contrast, DCUO, and Trine. Plus all the TV apps, I am using about half of the HDD. So, this should give you an idea of what to expect.

PSN ID: tgraves82

PSN: TGraves82 | Twitter:

Reverend_Skeeve

I installed BF4, Killzone and pretty much every PS+ game and the f2p-stuff and are down to about 270 Gigabyte remaining free, so it's rather obvious that the HDD space will go quickly...definitely gonna update to a 2TB HDD as soon as they're available/affordable.

Reverend_Skeeve

DVD_Sandwich

The OS seems to take about 60GB.
Actual capacity of a "500GB" hard drive is about 465GB, and you have 405GB free space right out of the box.
Games take up anywhere from 2GB to 45GB. With just a few, it's no big deal, but a few years from now when I have 20 PS4 games I'll have to be deleting games I don't often play, then letting them reinstall (and re-download updates) if I play them again later. Luckily the game install process is much improved over PS3, but I wish game/update/DLC were separate so I could delete the game install but keep the updates/DLC so I could just put in the disc when I play it again in a few months.

DVD_Sandwich

Jaz007

I think we should remember that games will take more space as times goes on too, but since installs don't that long (or at least I don't remember Injustice taking that long) it shouldn't be that big of a deal to delete install data as needed.

Jaz007

JaxonH

Yeah, space is gonna be an issue for me. I ALWAYS need maximum space on every console. In fact, every single console I own for this generation needed to be (or will need to be) expanded.

For example, the Killzone Mercenary Vita update was over 1GB alone, just for the update! Well, it just so happens that the Vita only HAS like 1GB of memory, so I made sure to grab a 32GB memory card on sale at Best Buy for $45.

The 3DS takes ordinary SD cards, so I made sure to slide a 16GB card in just to play it safe, which should be MORE than enough considering file sizes are much smaller than Vita games.

The Wii U has just 32GB, and while games are much smaller in size and I don't buy retail games digitally (only use the space for installs, updates, save data and eShop games), I've already used 10GB in the first year alone. So I bought a 500GB WD My Passport Ultra. Problem solved.

The PS4 has 500GB, but just over 400GB usable space. Killzone took up quite a bit of space, and while I don't subscribe to PS Plus, I can tell you now that I'm going to need to upgrade within the first two years. I'll cross that bridge when the time comes, but I have no doubt in my mind that 500GB isn't going to last with games as large as they are- especially because the file sizes are only going to go up.

[Edited by JaxonH]

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

PSN: jaxonholden

Gamer83

I'm thinking I may have to buy a bigger harddrive at some point but at the same time given how quickly the PS4 installs games I'm not worried about deleting the data for the ones I'm not playing and saving space that way.

Gamer83

Victor_Meldrew

I only have ac bf, kz sf, FIFA, contrast, don't starve and dcuo so I haven't bother to check yet. I only ever plan to have half a dozen full games on the go at any one time so I'll probably never need to upgrade my HD. I just wish vita came with about 50gb internal or SD included.

Victor_Meldrew

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.