Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 4,461 to 4,480 of 4,490

Bentleyma

@Yousef- You have to post the actual link and not the mobile one. Press share on the video and use that link. Shame about the PC version not running so great.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

colonelkilgore

Bit late to the party but just watched that 45 min gameplay video of Silent Hill 2 Remake that they released earlier this week… looks frikkin’ awesome tbh! My one question, as someone who has never played a Silent Hill game, will that matter going into this, or should I watch a video-catch up on the events of the original Silent Hill?

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore As mentioned, Silent Hill 2 is its own thing, whereas 3 is a direct sequel of 1 and the only overtly connected games in the series. Personally, I’d highly recommend going into this as blind as possible going forward, with as few expectations as possible. It’s an offbeat stroke of horror genius that I think benefits greatly from an approach of earnest curiosity. Counting down the days now!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Malaise @Yousef- @Jimmer-jammer cheers for the info guys, I was hoping that the narrative and characters were not connected. I wasn’t sure but thought it a possibility due to them jumping straight to the remaking of 2 rather than simply starting at the original. Let’s hope Bloober pull this off 🤞.

[Edited by colonelkilgore]

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Malaise I wouldn’t worry as, once devs go plat they never… erm… 🤔 retract (?). Sorry it was the best I could come up with at 8:30am on a Saturday morning after a long night of Jameson and ginger. 😅

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Malaise I’m yet to play a Bloober team game but the vibe I get is that their output to this point isn’t worthy of being handed to the keys to the kingdom on a franchise as storied as Silent Hill. Everyone has to get an opportunity to make that jump to a higher level somewhere though and the latest gameplay looks great to me in fairness.

**** DLC!

LtSarge

@Malaise I genuinely don't understand the hate for Bloober. I've played several of their games, such as Layers of Fear, Observer and The Medium, and I enjoyed most of them. The common thing I read is that the games don't have a lot of gameplay. That doesn't mean the actual experiences are bad. There are plenty of horror games similar to it, such as Outlast, SOMA, Amnesia etc. that are fantastic horror experiences and I'd put Layers of Fear up there with them. Just because something deviates from the typical formula of a game in that genre doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

LtSarge

Th3solution

@Malaise Hmmm… interesting question. I’ve been thinking a lot about this.
If I were to revive dormant IP I’d probably choose:

1) Resistance
This probably sounds strange since I’m not really a fan of first-person shooters. Nevertheless, I think the setting is a really good one and I am much more likely to enjoy a FPS that has fantasy or Sci-Fi elements and a good story to it than I am to like a realistic military COD type shooter. I played some of Resistance 1 and the PSP game Retribution and have fond memories of both, but just never got around to R2 or R3. Releasing a remastered collection of the original trilogy might be a good start to resurrect the IP.

2) Uncharted
I know it’s a stretch to call this “dormant” because there was a game released last generation (and Legacy of Thieves remake released this gen.) Lost Legacy came out 7 yrs ago, which is the length of one average console generation. That’s not long, but I feel like the ‘explorer, archaeology and ancient mysteries’ genre has been quiet, with Tomb Raider also on ice this generation so far. The Indiana Jones game is likely to fill this void and Sony runs the risk of conceding this Uncharted ground to Microsoft, unless the rumors of UC5 are true.

We’re getting a new Souls-like every month, a new live service shooter every few months, a new Metroidvania every few months, a new open world fantasy game 2-3 times a year, a new survival horror game 2-3 times a year, etc, etc… We used to get a new TR styled archaeology adventure every year or two, whether it be Nate or Lara, but this gen we’ve got none in 7 years (except for remakes). I guess we got that Uncharted movie and a Lara Croft animated show coming up. But still.

3) Bloodborne
No brainer right there and no explanation needed.

————————

Honorable mentions I’d like to see:
Gravity Rush, Motorstorm, PlayStation Home (not really an IP, but still), Heavenly Sword.

>> IP that I never played but would probably get into if they resurrected them and made modern entries:
Legend of Dragoon, The Getaway, Soul Sacrifice, Everybody’s Golf, Parappa the Rapper, Sly Cooper, Syphon Filter

>> Undecided about and would be curious if brought back:
Twisted Metal, Tokyo Jungle, Wild Arms, Dark Cloud, Ape Escape, Loco Roco, MediEvil

>> IP that a lot of people want to see come back that I’m actually fine with leaving alone and dormant:
SOCOM, MAG, Killzone, LBP, Wipeout, Infamous, Jak & Daxter

[Edited by Th3solution]

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ravix

@Malaise @Th3solution

This is a tough one for me, I'm not sure there is anything I'd like to see revived, personally. Not off the top of my head, anyway. And scanning though the ones mentioned, I'm not sure any are super marketable in terms of branding these days.

I'm sure you could sell Killzone to a bunch of people, but it doesn't look very "modern sony"

I'd be more interested in giving Naughty Dog free reign to make whatever the heck they wanted, knowing I could also probably make a franchise film or series based on it.

I'd also be quite interested in leveraging the Breaking Bad IP into something.

Everybody's golf is a good shout for some kind of family friendly, character dress up, arcadey sport fun. I don't know anything about it, but something like that on PS Plus with some kind of blergh monetisation targeting kids urgh I can't continue with the comment 😅 if you could do it in a non predatory way, then that would be good. But I can't help but see the successful games in that space as just that.

PlayStation Home should have been Big Jim's main focus for live service, I feel. In lots of ways that was well ahead of its time, as a live service game that brought gamers together and had a bunch of game activities within it, and I think you could also launch games from it? Something like that.

PlayStation Home would be a perfect way to launch small indie games too, you have deals with dev teams, charge for access to their game within the PS Hub so more people organically discover the games, rather than being stuffed on PS Store. A popular indie title would naturally have PS Home users milling around their area and bring in more players to it that way. Why wait for the internet to spread word of mouth when people could already be able to see active buzz on their consoles.

In fact, games like Everybody's Golf could be main attractions in a PS Home space, with special events, leader boards etc etc.

But, back to me, I'd just want my dev teams working on a Spy Thriller, A Crime Thriller, a Sci Fi title and a Fantasy RPG. And all new IP's as that is what SIE does best. Let the TV and Film divisions reuse old game stuff if needs be, they are the ones that are most lacking of ideas right now.

I'd also buy Remedy whatever the cost financially, ethically or otherwise, even if we have to send a hit squad to Epic. And then i'd let that mad Finn run wild with any budget he wanted, make anything he wanted, have them consult with other PS studios, and also lock down the Max Payne release to Sony and PC 😛

And then I'd probably give Dan Hauser a call and say, stay independent, but let's work together on some things.

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Th3solution

@Malaise @Ravix Yeah, Home was infinitely monetizable. You could buy skins for your avatar, furniture and decor for your apartment, etc. Then like you said, it can have game hangout spaces and promote and actually sell games. Have it be a meet up place to jump into a co-op or PVP game straight from Home (I do remember they were doing that in a rudimentary way). It’s a living, breathing live-service landscape.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ravix

Anyone who watched the showcase for the Pro. Is it the end of FSR in PS5 consoles? If so, maybe we can have a little toast, in spite of the price

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

LtSarge

When they were comparing games running on a PS5 versus a PS5 Pro, I genuinely couldn't see any differences. Granted, I was watching the stream on a computer and not on my TV, but the point is that consoles have come so far that graphics won't improve noticeably anymore. Not to mention the steep price point and no disc drive. There's literally no point for me to upgrade. I'm so glad that I bought the base PS5 when I had the chance. Even if future PS5 games won't be as well-optimised on base PS5 as on a PS5 Pro, I still have tons of PS4 titles as well as early PS5 games that will run well and keep me busy for years to come. And at that point, PS6 will be out. So I'm good.

LtSarge

Jimmer-jammer

I’d really like to buy one but need some time at that $1000 price point. My 5 month plan:

I’ll sell my PS5 for about $500 (It’s a disk version in great condition and I installed a 1TB internal SSD). A base disk version retails new here for $650 so I think that’s fair. $500

We generally make about $40 every 2 months from bottle returns. $580

I’ll axe 2 subscriptions, combined worth about 40/month. $780

Have a long overdue garage sale I’ll bet I can net at least $100 from. $880

Somewhere in this 5 months I will have the opportunity to sacrifice a day off to cover a coworker’s shift. $1000 😄

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Pizzamorg

If the PS5 already does 60 fps at 4k, what is the sales pitch of the pro? Are they going to start artificially limiting performance on the base to drive the appeal of the pro? Cause otherwise I don't get what the point of the pro is at all. Last gen the leap from base to pro was huge, but there isn't even a step here I can see.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Jimmer-jammer

@Pizzamorg As far as I can tell, it’s just a moreish upgrade, hence my half-baked 5 month plan. As a PS5 owner already, this thing ain’t worth altering the budget or dipping into savings for at this stage.

[Edited by Jimmer-jammer]

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic