Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 1,041 to 1,047 of 1,047

MightyDemon82

I finished The Passage late last night. Thanks to @FuriousMachine for the recommendation also curse you as I've discovered it's a trilogy 🤣.

Fantastic book reminded me of a few things. It had The Last of Us vibes and also a bit like The Strain which I also enjoyed.

Next up The Troop by Nick Cutter. Looks like it'll be a quick read. It has been compared to Lord of the Flies, looking forward to diving in!

[Edited by MightyDemon82]

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 Really glad you enjoyed it; it's high on my list of favourite series and, yes, "voluminous" and "epic" are both suitable descriptors, I think.
Interested to hear your take on "The Troop". I've heard good things, but another book of Cutter's that I've read, "The Deep", didn't connect with me for some reason, so I'm a bit unsure of "The Troop".

FuriousMachine

Kraven

I’m currently reading “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” by Philip K. Dick. It’s been an excellent book, and very well paced. I didn’t realize it was the inspiration for Blade Runner, but it is. If you’re a fan of science fiction, I strongly recommend this book.

Kraven

Ralizah

Trying to pick up my reading habit big time. For this month:

Finishing up What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula, a light, classic, and very readable summation of essential Buddhist teachings (the actual text itself is done, but the last quarter of this edition includes translated sermons, so I'm working on those. Just completed the Fire Sermon)

After that, I'll move on to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which I'm excited to finally read again.

If I manage to get through those in time, I think I'll try for a third and knock out Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (my only full experience with his work is Breakfast of Champions, a work I admire for how effortless the prose and humor felt).

@Kraven I think reading it as a Blade Runner fan can make it difficult to appreciate. The connections are obvious, but Dick's work is so wildly different from the film adaptation that I didn't end up getting much out of it. I'd like to revisit it one day with fewer expectations and see if I can appreciate it on its own merits.

[Edited by Ralizah]

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio (PC); Overboard! (PC)

Ugh. Men.

PSN: Ralizah

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@Ralizah I'd recommend the 1818 version of Shelley's Frankenstein .Think it's the original draft, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that in my 20s, hopefully you'll enjoy it just as much if you decide to pick it up and if you haven't gotten an alternative - and I'm sure still enjoyable version already.

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Ralizah

@BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN It's the version with chapters, so I'm pretty sure it's the revised edition. I do want to grab one of those versions someday that discuss the differences between the releases.

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio (PC); Overboard! (PC)

Ugh. Men.

PSN: Ralizah

Kraven

I just finished “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” and I found it quite fantastic, and made me contemplate life in different ways. I’m now either going to start “Pet Semetary” from Stephen King, or “King Rat” by James Clavell.

Kraven

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic