Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 701 to 720 of 1,019

MightyDemon82

@sorteddan @FuriousMachine Really enjoying Fahrenheit 451. Hoping to finish it once I'm home from work, then I can pick up Hemingway's The Old man and the Sea which I have reserved at the library 🙂.

I read Moby Dick a year or so ago, didn't find it to be too tough a read.

[Edited by MightyDemon82]

MightyDemon82

XandertheWise

dunno why but i dug out my old big paperback of Tom Clancy's Executive Orders out of my bookshelf and going to be re-reading that later this month and the rest of this year. Last time i read that sucker was back in 1997 or 1998.

XandertheWise

FuriousMachine

Finished Buffalo Bayou (Goodreads page) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Proper hardboiled noir with a suitably nihilistic and bleakminded main character. Fair warning, though: It might get too bleak/dark for readers who aren't fans of the genre. Fairly short and a quick, easy read. Easy four stars in my Goodreads review.

For my next book, I'm returning to Frank Herbert, for one of his non-Dune novels: Hellstrom's Hive (Goodreads page)

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@sorteddan Fahrenheit 451 was a great book. Really enjoyed that one. I have indeed struck
Gold at the moment.

Started and finished The Old man and the Sea by Hemingway a fantastic wee book. I have bought the George Orwell collection as I've always wanted to read 1984. Starting with Animal farm though as it's nice and short. I'm sure I've seen the animation in primary school, but could have easily got that mixed up with Charlotte's Web in my memory.

@FuriousMachine he actually wrote stuff outside of Dune? I need to read Dune Messsiah as I've only ever read the first book which I enjoyed.

Edit: The first sentence on the goodreads page makes me want to read it!

[Edited by MightyDemon82]

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 Yeah, and if I'm to believe the foreword in Hellstrom's Hive, the Dune books aren't really typical of his style. I loved Dune; it was an easy five star for me, but the rest of the series got a bit rough.

Dune Messiah was a huge step back, as 90% of it was just characters talking about events that had happened, which I found annoying as a storytelling device (it's the ultimate "tell, don't show", in a way). Still, three stars from me (three stars means "good" on my scale, so it was by no means a disaster).

Children of Dune was better, and I enjoyed it quite a bit more than the previous book. Four stars.

God Emperor of Dune was still good, but I was struggling to maintain any interest in the series at this point. Still, three and a half stars.

Heretics of Dune was the one where I officially jumped ship. I finished the book and it wasn't bad (still three stars, if only just barely), but I realised that I found myself completely uninvested in the fates and stories of the characters and I really didn't care too much about what happened next. I may pick the series back up at a later date, but with so many exciting books just waiting to be read, I doubt it.

Hope you'll enjoy them, though. As mentioned, they're not bad; I guess they just weren't my kind of thing.

FuriousMachine

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

I finished Italo Calvino's 'If on a Winter's Night a Traveler' today. Great book.

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

OScube

Mary: An Awakening
Foe

OScube

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine I'll give Messiah a go and take it from there.

I returned all the books I had from the library on Friday. I always feel bad not leaving without one, so I'm now reading On the origin of time: Stephen Hawking's final theory, written by his colleague Thomas Hertog. Fascinating so far.

MightyDemon82

LN78

Just finished "A Masterpiece in Disarray" about the making of David Lynch's "Dune" and started "The Haunting of Hill House". Ordered "Four Days in November" which supposedly finally and permanently debunks all the conspiracy theories surrounding the Kennedy assassination.

LN78

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@LN78 What was A Masterpiece in Disarray like? It's a bit pricey in my country, I assume you are in the States or Canada. So I want to know if it's worth it.

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

LN78

@TheBrandedSwordsman It's superb - especially if you're a Lynch fan. The only disappointing thing is that (as you probably know) Lynch himself refuses to discuss the project, so there are no new insights from him.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

FuriousMachine

@PixelDragon Looks interesting and is well reviewed on Goodreads, so on the reading list it goes

FuriousMachine

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

Currently reading a book on J Dilla by Charmas, it's quite interesting. A retrospective describing the influence of hip hop music on him, and, consequently, his influence on hip hop.

[Edited by BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN]

Mutilated_Moogle

Traces of Two Pasts, a Final Fantasy VII book

Mutilated_Moogle

MightyDemon82

I Finished origin of time last night, I wasn't allowed to play Spider-man 2 until I had done so.

I Read volume 2 of Full Metal Alchemist today and my next novel to read is Mischief Acts by Zoe Gilbert it won in a series of coin tosses between 1984 and Halfhead by Stuart Macbride!

MightyDemon82

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

Still reading the J Dilla book and alternating it with Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino. So far it is very 'literary', perhaps unsurprisingly.

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

Just finished Invisible Cities. Great book. Some repetition but overall the quality is undiminished.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic