Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 901 to 911 of 911

MightyDemon82

Last couple of books I read were Brave New World and Lord of the Flies. I've just started The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, loved the culture series so I thought i'd dive into his other stuff.

MightyDemon82

XandertheWise

update. been reading Star Wars Joiner King the first book of the Swarm War Trilogy. about finished reading it too.

next books: Stephen King Talisman, You Like it Darker, and the other two Swarm War books

XandertheWise

XandertheWise

reading the new Stephen King You Like it Darker the rest of this month since I just got the book an hour ago today in the mail

XandertheWise

FuriousMachine

It's been a lovely holiday weekend here in Norway and I celebrated our Constitution Day by spending the weekend with my sister and her family. She loves reading as much as I do, so many an hour was spent on their sunny veranda reading crime novels.
As as result, I finished both The Fifth Witness (Goodreads page) and
Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories (Goodreads page), which were both solid entries in Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch universe. I awarded each a four star review on Goodreads.

Now I'll return to the Dragonlance series with Dragons of the Highlord Skies (Goodreads page), the second book in the "Lost Chronicles" series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I was bit disappointed with the first entry, so here's hoping that this one fares better.

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine that sounds great, we are getting some decent weather here in Scotland for a change. It's been nice to sit outside and read. I'm currently reading Sapiens, which is very interesting so far as well as various manga and comics!

Edited on by MightyDemon82

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 "Sapiens" is a very fascinating read, though it did my already dim view of humanity no favours
Glad to hear you're also experiencing fine weather over there; I'm hoping for many such fair days when travelling your lovely country for two weeks in August.

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 We'll be travelling from Edinburgh to Stirling, then via Glencoe to Fort William. Visited both Stirling and Glencoe when I was over seven years ago, but the plan is to see more of Glencoe this time around. That place is simply stunning! Then we'll head to Inverness (my travel companions this time around haven't been to Loch Ness, so that's mandatory, naturally ), then we'll head to Ullapool to take the morning ferry over to Isle of Lewis. This will be my first visit to the Outer Hebrides and I'm really excited about that!
We'll explore Lewis and Harris, taking the afternoon ferry to Isle of Skye the following day, where we'll spend the weekend and celebrate my 50th birthday. I'm really lucky to have a few people coming over to help me celebrate, so that will hopefully be a weekend to remember.
After that, we'll head back to Ullapool, where we'll commence driving the North Coast 500 to Thurso, take a trip over to the Orkneys, where we'll spend a couple of nights, before heading back and completing the eastern part of NC500 down to Inverness and Speyside Bridge, before heading back to Edinburgh for two nights.
I've visited many of these places before, but i can't seem to get enough This will be my seventh visit to Edinburgh, a city I love dearly, and one really fond memory from my first and second visit in the late 90's was buying way too many fantasy novels in a huge bookstore on Princes Street (think it was a Waterstones). I had to persuade a buddy to pack some of them in his luggage and I still had to pay overweight fees for both of us.
(There, I managed to keep this tangentially on topic )

Edited on by FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine sounds like a fantastic birthday trip, I hope the weather is great for your travels. Maybe take a bigger case this time around incase you find yourself in bookstores again 😉.

MightyDemon82

XandertheWise

reading the first story in Stephen King's You Like it Darker.

the Bastids they from a previous Stephen King short story or something?

XandertheWise

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 hehehe, considering the luggage fees airlines are operating with these days, that would be some expensive literature Thankfully, books are easier to come by today than back in the 90s (very few bookstores carried much outside books from Norwegian publishers in those days), so "peruse, then order when I get home" is probably a winning strategy here

Edited on by FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic