Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,101 to 8,120 of 8,131

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Yeah, I get that. Personally I don't mind IP movies so much, but there's no denying that there is a laziness that comes with most of them and the really good ones are few and far between. Luckily, Hollywood's not the only "game in town", as it were, and even Hollywood manages to put out a solid number of "non-IP" movies so there's no shortage.
And "Ed Wood" is easily my favourite Burton movie, as well, it just works so incredibly well.

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine Maybe I'm just in a bad mood because I felt so completely fleeced by "Alien:Romulus" and "Deadpool 3" but I don't think so - I remember talk of a "Beetlejuice" sequel going back years and I was quite enthusiastic about the prospect.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Something tells me you won't going to see Gladiator 2 then?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Not a chance. Have you read about Andy Serkis' plans for the (definitely not a cynical cashgrab) Gollum starring "Lord of the Rings" interquel? He intends to use AI to de-age Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom and Ian McKellen. Jesus suffering Christ.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Oof, that sounds horrible... That franchise lost me with the Hobbit trilogy, so Serkis' Gollum project holds no interest for me. Might see it if the reviews are good, but everything points to a disaster here.
I'm morbidly curious about the inventively titled Gladiator 2, though. Scott says it's probably his best movie, which is interesting and would have me rearing to go if it wasn't for the fact that I suspect Scott is slowly losing his marbles. I'm trying to think of the last great Ridley Scott movie, but all I can come up with is Black Hawk Down... I'm sure he's made movies I've loved after that, so I'll have to check IMDb later on.

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine If "Napoleon" is anything to go by then Sir Ridley needs a good long sit down. That movie was such a bloody slog to get through. As for his last great movie? "Kingdom of Heaven" extended cut - no doubt about it.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Of course, "Kingdom of Heaven" is another favourite of mine; wasn't sure if it came before or after "Black Hawk Down".
Looking through his IMDb credits, there's an awful lot of clunkers there. I may have held the man in higher esteem than he deserved Though, when he's on his A game, he's phenomenal, so I'll cut him a bit of slack.
I completely forgot that he made "The Martian", which I also liked, but it's nowhere near his best.
I miss his brother, though. Even the "bad" Tony Scott movies were, for the most part, interesting in some ways

FuriousMachine

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Yeah, that does sound insufferable!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jimmer-jammer

@LN78 I thought The Last Duel was quite good, actually. Not sure why it fly’s under the radar as it does.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@LN78 If nothing else, it was a nice reminder that Scott is still willing to take on somewhat unconventional material and pull it off, injecting his usual grandiose Hollywood flair without losing the characters and story amongst the spectacle.

How transformative is the Kingdom of Heaven Director’s Cut? I disliked the theatrical cut to the point of writing the film off entirely.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

FuriousMachine

@Jimmer-jammer I concur with @LN78 on "Kingdom of Heaven"; the DC is excellent
Will have to check out "The Last Duel", it flew under my radar as well

FuriousMachine

Ravix

@Jimmer-jammer this is the movie that Scott went on a tirade about no one going to see in the cinema, isn't it? I remember really quite liking it as historical fiction and human drama interests me in general.

I think his main complaint was that everyone is too stupid, no one has any attention span any more, and people are more interested in gorging on popcorn and watching super hero movies with no depth to them rather than watching something that might make them engage emotionally or intellectually. Which is a very fair assessment.

Arguably there used to be more instances of people being able to like both intelligent things and stupid things concurrently overall though, ams that is quite normal, and I don't think his assessment that it's popcorn movies ruining cinema is fair, as there have always been these types of movies and they serve a purpose. Now though there is just way too much other stupid stuff overall, kids are being raised on stupid sh** from a young age by young parents who were raised on it, and it has given people no time to even try anything else that might make them more rounded humans. And it isn't going to get better with time 😅 Endless scripted reality tv, tik tok trends of idiots with massive followings, adverts where staring at some AI in a phone makes you go "ummmmooohhhhhhkayyyyyyyyyyy", people generally being f***ing idiots in larger propertions of society, and placing way too much value on absolute s*** that has no real meaning or worth.

We'll be alright, though, I'm sure hahahahaahahah

Untitled

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Jimmer-jammer

@LN78 @FuriousMachine Well, there’s my weekend film sorted 😄

FuriousMachine

Speaking of Scott; when I checked his IMDb credits earlier today, I was reminded that he also made "G.I.Jane", a movie I had completely erased from my memory, even though I do believe I saw it once. Has anyone here seen it recently? Is it as bad as everyone made it out to be or was that just a case of rampant misogyny not giving the movie a fair shake at the time?

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine That was the Ridley Scott movie that everybody said should've been a Tony Scott movie. I can't remember anything about it.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

Jimmer-jammer

Ravix

@Jimmer-jammer 😅😅

But also

Untitled

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Jimmer-jammer

@Ravix 😂😂

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic