Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,421 to 8,432 of 8,432

JohnnyShoulder

@Ravix I've tried to only buy 4K's which I know really like and will watch them multiple times. I think I had over 100 dvd's before I gave them away, as it was just finding space to store them all.

I'm also not buying anything I've already got on normal blu ray, unless there is a significant improvement. I would like to get the Nolan Batman trilogy again as I hear they corrected Batman Begins as the blu ray was really really dark. I've also got The Matrix as I hear they corrected the colour to what it was for the theatrical release. I never saw at the cinema and never knew I been not watching it as the filmmakers intended.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Hogs-of-War-General

@JohnnyShoulder Some 4K upgrades are worth it such as the legit "Event Horizon". The bluray was decent however there were a lot of shots and entire scenes that were washed out. The 4K upgrade is the way it is supposed to look. Very black blacks and pristine focused shots.

I saw "Poltergeist" yesterday on 4K and they did a pretty good job. Clean and sharp as well as great colors. Haven't seen the movie in over a decade but it's aged pretty well.

Hogs-of-War-General

JohnnyShoulder

@Hogs-of-War-General Event Hoizon is in my basket from Amazon, so that is good to hear the transfer is good.

I was impressed by Universal Soldier in 4K when i saw it. I wasn't even the biggest fan of it when it came out originally, but enjoyed it more when I watched it not long ago. Alien there were some scenes I could never make out when seeing it before I got it on 4K. They probably went a bit too far with Aliens, however I did not personally have an issue with what they did though, but can see why people would.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

LN78

@Hogs-of-War-General @JohnnyShoulder I just wish that the "lost" footage from "Event Horizon" would show up - it's a film I've never really got the hang of - far too derivative of other stuff and with a few too many (extremely) creaky performances for me to ever get fully absorbed by it. On the topic of "Poltergeist", I was listening to a podcast ("The Rewatchables") about the movie and it featured the original US radio spot - difficult to fathom that a movie with graphic face melting and actual human skeletons only earned a PG rating from the MPAA!
PS Bought Al Pacino's new autobiography on Audible. I don't usually go in for audiobooks but apparently it's read/narrated by the man himself. His voice and intonation are incredible and his life has been so fascinating that it should make for a riveting listen.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

Hogs-of-War-General

@JohnnyShoulder You'll really see the difference from the 4K, you won't be disappointed! I haven't seen Universal Soldier since I was a kid but I can imagine how great it is on 4K. I am wary though on the 4K Alien because of all the DNR however I might get it eventually as it is one of my favorite films of all time.

@LN78 I don't think that lost footage will ever be recovered for "Event Horizon" but it would be amazing to see it how the director really intended it to be; a monstrous gory dark haunting film close to 3 hours. I've watched the bonus features and it's crazy to think that all the gory and disgusting dark footage was lost! No one can find it and it is lost to the depths of space...

Hogs-of-War-General

LN78

@Hogs-of-War-General I read that it got stored in a salt mine in Transylvania that later either collapsed or got flooded. There'll be a complete workprint knocking about somewhere, I'm sure - even if it's only on a VHS.
PS The Cameron 4Ks aren't technically DNR'd - they've been put through an AI "enhancement" algorithm with (I'd argue) very mixed (as in scene to scene) results. So certain bits of "Aliens" look incredible while others look weirdly cheap. I thought "The Abyss" was the best of the bunch but then I'd only ever seen the versions on Laserdisc, VHS or DVD so my perception could be warped.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@Hogs-of-War-General I don't think the DNR for Alien is that egregious. Aliens, yes there is a noticable use of it. Alien is my favourite film as is one of the first films I remember scaring the bejesus out of me.

Hogs-of-War-General

@LN78 Yeah it was stored in some bizarre place and something happened to it similar to that effect. Yeah yeah you're right however it still has the same results at times unfortunately. It seems that Jim Cameron doesn't like the look of film which is ridiculous because 4K upgrades from films with that beautiful film grain look amazing! Don't know why he tries to remove it completely???

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah I saw and read that it was worse in Aliens than in Alien. Alien ages so damn well, I actually saw the 45th anniversary re-release a few months ago in theatres on a huge screen and damn it was a freaking blast! The theatre was packed so I was glad to see that the fandom hasn't waned over the years.

Hogs-of-War-General

Ravix

Watching True Romance as I couldn't resist waiting after opening it up 😂 to be fair I'd probably watch it even if it wasn't the 4K version, but so far I have been pretty impressed with how the colour pops in all the neon bars and motels especially, so it definitely looks fantastic.

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Gremio108

Watched Hell or High Water last night. Far from perfect but a more interesting film than it initially let on. Some good performances too.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

LN78

@Gremio108 Yeah - who'da thunk that Chris Pine could actually act? Great in a double feature with "No Country For Old Men".

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

Gremio108

@LN78 Yeah, very similar feel, especially with Jeff Bridges' character and his situation.

Pine and Foster were superb. Although Ben Foster has played so many dangerous/unpredictable characters by this point, that as soon as he pops up I just immediately think "well this is going to end badly for everybody involved".

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic