Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 2,341 to 2,360 of 2,507

BAMozzy

No-one wants to hear of Studio closures, job losses etc and whilst I am disappointed to hear about Tango & Arkane Austin, to a certain degree, I can understand that despite some of the comments made by MS in the past now being used against them.

Buying Zenimax isn't the same as Acquiring Ninja Theory or Obsidian. Buying an independent Studio is buying that 'studio' for the Creative Talent that Studio has - whether it has its 'own' IP's or not. Sony buying Insomniac is a another example of buying the Talent behind games like R&C, Spider-Man, Sunset-Overdrive etc.

Buying a Publisher is much more like buying a Bundle, Buying a Storage Locker full of stuff - some Treasures, but also some 'Trash'. You may want the Publishing Rights to the entire back catalogue of games, the vast majority of IP's, Most of the Studio's/Talent behind those IP's, the Tech (id tech/creation engine) etc but can't just acquire the bits they wanted without buying everything. They may not want 'dead' IP's and have no plan to bring back games like Prey or Rage but had to acquire them to get Fallout, Doom, Elder Scrolls etc.

Point is, MS may not have really wanted Tango, Arkane Austin, Alpha Dog and Roundhouse - they wanted Bethesda, MachineGames, id software etc, wanted Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein etc, wanted Publishing rights etc but to get those, had to take 'everything' as a Job Lot.

Arkane Austin may well have been a shell of what it was. Reports came out of mass staff departures as Zenimax was forcing them to make a 'Live Service' game they had no experience or desire to make. It may have been too 'costly' to restaff and build-up again to wait 5 or 6yrs for a 'Game' to release - that 'money' maybe better invested in a new Fallout or getting the 'many' games in development out in a polished state in more reasonable time frames. Tango too is missing its OG creator - the mind behind RE and Evil Within.

As I said, no-one wants to hear about closures and job losses and I am disappointed these Studios are closing. In my opinion, I'd rather have seen 343i close than Tango as they have consistently failed with Halo and now that MS has some of the 'best' FPS Studios, the talent and tech behind CoD, Doom etc, they could 'reboot' Halo on the id Tech engine and drop 343i keeping a foothold in Japan with Tango - although I don't expect its as easy/simple as that.

However, as I've had time to think about this, I've bought numerous bundles myself with stuff I'm paying for, but certainly never wanted and never used - I still have some 'unopened/unused' games from Bundles because I never wanted to play them, but had to take them to get the Console. MS may not have really wanted 'every' Studio or IP they acquired but had to take everything as a Job lot.

Another aspect is the ABK deal. We know that was 'expensive' but how much 'extra' did it cost with all the problems they had to over-come. Taking out Adverts they didn't expect, giving up Cloud Licensing to Ubisoft, not completing when (or before) expected so even 'longer' before the money can start coming back, longer to get games on their Service so not getting the 'growth' they expected. All the while, the Games industry has continued to decline/stagnate since the world has gone from Crisis to crisis, becoming a 'smaller' market as hostility increases, less 'free' cash to spend with rising costs.

In other words, they may have planned to 'keep' those Studio's, build them up in 2021 when they acquired them, but because Global Circumstances since then have deteriorated, they had to change their plans too...

Again, as a Gamer, I don't WANT to see Studio Closures, Job Losses etc - I'm just trying to see things from a different perspective to try and Rationalise and understand why a Company that 'needs' Games, so needs Studio's would close those.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

BAMozzy

And yet they have all closed Studios they have acquired - inc Sony. Whichever Publisher of games you consider, they are ALL guilty of it. Sony has closed numerous Studios over the past few years - Sony Manchester, Sony London, Pixel Opus and their Japan Studio with Job Losses at Firesprite and Insomniac. Sony bought Psygnosis, which became Sony Liverpool owhat about Evolution Studios - both were closed by Sony too.

Its not just Sony, Embracer (THQ) has done it, EA has done it, ABK had done it before being sold, Square Enix has done it. Embracer bought Eidos Montreal from Square Enix and then shut that Studio down soon after.

Business is Business - not saying its 'right', but that's the reality. To get Tomb Raider and Crystal Dynamics, Embracer had to take Eidos Montreal whether they wanted them or 'not' and then closed them down soon after. They still have the IP's and Studio's 'they' wanted.

The difference between an 'unwanted' game in a bundle and an unwanted Studio is that the unwanted Game isn't a continuous drain on your finances like a Studio is, doesn't require a LOT of Time and Money to get a product from them to recuperate those costs, let alone the cost of buying everything they wanted as well. They may have to spend another 100m+ over the next 5yrs before they even get a 'game' to sell when that 100m could be invested in another Fallout from Bethesda instead of some 'niche' game that few buy despite critical praise - its not as if those Critics 'buy' games...

[Edited by BAMozzy]

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Ralizah

@BAMozzy What studios has Nintendo acquired and subsequently shut down?

And with Sony, when they torch a studio, it's not out of the blue like this, and certainly not after the studios deliver consistently with excellent games. At least, until recently. But even their recent studio closures weren't this unprovoked.

As with the recent wave of layoffs, this is more a reflection of toxic American tech company culture: the way it treats employees as disposable tools, and the need to appease shareholders above all else with moves that don't make sense in the long term. It's not worth defending.

Currently Playing: Marvel's Spider-Man: Game of the Year Edition NG+ (PS4); Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (NS)

Ugh. Men.

PSN: Ralizah

BAMozzy

@Ralizah I couldn't tell you about Nintendo as I've never really kept up with their internal structure.

However, I have seen MANY Studio's, Publishers bought over the decades and then Shut Down. Granted not all delivered a critically reviewed game with a Bafta behind them going so soon - especially as it's now launched everywhere too for more to enjoy.

Square have bought up and dropped Studio's, Sony too - it's been part of the business for decades and whilst I, and many others as GAMERS, Hate to see Studio's closed, even if we didn't really like the games they made, it's very quickly forgotten with Games, Games, shiny new Hardware, Games.

Where are the likes of Ocean or Midway - some of, if not the biggest Publishers of the 80's. I remember Psygnosis too and many others. Driveclub wasn't really deserving of shutting down the Studio who gave us Motorstorm. Firesprite didn't last long in the Sony Family which VR Headset owners can't feel optimistic in their future line-up now. So yes its a tough time because MANY gamers are being a lot more frugal with their gaming expenditure and prices have gone-up too. They are buying less and less games overall whilst having to spend more and more for it with less and less time.

A LOT of gaming revenue is coming from those big recurring cash games like CoD Fifa Fortnite or whatever other older games in sales, sub services etc instead of spending money on buying as many NEW games. So New games are costing more and becoming a risk to invest in when you aren't getting the money coming in or 'projected' growth to keep those Studio's open for the next 5-6yrs you thought you might....

Harsh but Business is Business and as a Gamer, I am feeling rather annoyed, but looking at the industry at the moment, you can see why they are the way are - Sony can't reach 170 regions or so, other regions are in 'difficult' situations where gaming is extremely limited/difficult for many.

Its not the 'dedicated' that will find a way to buy as much as they ever did, frequent sites like this and bought Hardware Day 1, its the vast majority who maybe picked up a Console during the Pandemic or in a sale. Consoles (inc Sony) aren't expecting to sell as many this year, Hardware over all is down - lower growth, lower people coming in to spend money to keep making expensive games that take years to make. You rely on the 'whales', the dedicated to pay 'more' and 'more' or get 'more' people in, or reduce your content because you can't fund 'everything'.

It's looking at the situation globally not just how it impacts me as a Gamer in my little bubble

BAMozzy

@Ralizah I couldn't tell you about Nintendo as I've never really kept up with their internal structure.

However, I have seen MANY Studio's, Publishers bought over the decades and then Shut Down. Granted not all delivered a critically reviewed game with a Bafta behind them going so soon - especially as it's now launched everywhere too for more to enjoy.

Square have bought up and dropped Studio's, Sony too - it's been part of the business for decades and whilst I, and many others as GAMERS, Hate to see Studio's closed, even if we didn't really like the games they made, it's very quickly forgotten with Games, Games, shiny new Hardware, Games.

Where are the likes of Ocean or Midway - some of, if not the biggest Publishers of the 80's. I remember Psygnosis too and many others. Driveclub wasn't really deserving of shutting down the Studio who gave us Motorstorm. Firesprite didn't last long in the Sony Family which VR Headset owners can't feel optimistic in their future line-up now. So yes its a tough time because MANY gamers are being a lot more frugal with their gaming expenditure and prices have gone-up too. They are buying less and less games overall whilst having to spend more and more for it with less and less time.

A LOT of gaming revenue is coming from those big recurring cash games like CoD Fifa Fortnite or whatever other older games in sales, sub services etc instead of spending money on buying as many NEW games. So New games are costing more and becoming a risk to invest in when you aren't getting the money coming in or 'projected' growth to keep those Studio's open for the next 5-6yrs you thought you might....

Harsh but Business is Business and as a Gamer, I am feeling rather annoyed, but looking at the industry at the moment, you can see why they are the way are - Sony can't reach 170 regions or so, other regions are in 'difficult' situations where gaming is extremely limited/difficult for many.

Its not the 'dedicated' that will find a way to buy as much as they ever did, frequent sites like this and bought Hardware Day 1, its the vast majority who maybe picked up a Console during the Pandemic or in a sale. Consoles (inc Sony) aren't expecting to sell as many this year, Hardware over all is down - lower growth, lower people coming in to spend money to keep making expensive games that take years to make. You rely on the 'whales', the dedicated to pay 'more' and 'more' or get 'more' people in, or reduce your content because you can't fund 'everything'.

It's looking at the situation globally not just how it impacts me as a Gamer in my little bubble

breakneck

@Kidfried It isn't much better in Japan except you are trained to be loyal to middle management bullies, crunched because your laws aren't as strict, paid nonsense wages in currency so devalued it is near worthless but you don't get laid off... they just do a "banishment room" where they pretend you don't exist till you the employee voluntarily quits.

The work environment is bad everywhere as businesses gain more leverage over governments. I hope governments start implementing more rules to protect employees but... that ain't happening.

breakneck

colonelkilgore

Well… … … … and my numerous pauses are for sure for dramatic effect! Bots (and there’s no better name for them) are now promoting the notion that Microsoft are buying Valve/Steam! After what’s gone down after the ActiBliz purchase! God help us all (whether it’s mere bot insanity or an actual possibility)! These people (both zealots and/or c-suites)… awe shucks 🤷‍♂️

[Edited by colonelkilgore]

**** DLC!

CaptD

Any PS only fans gonna watch the Xbox showcase?
I'm not sure I have seen any of them in the past (I do remember the TV TV TV memes but I didn't watch live that I recall) and this is despite me owning an Xbox one S (bought for Rainbow Six Vegas, the insomniac game and Dark Souls which they said at the time wouldn't come to PS4...remember kids, don't believe a word they say).
Anyway I digress, I'm actually tempted to watch obviously for the "might come my way in the future" possibilities.

[Edited by CaptD]

CaptD

colonelkilgore

@CaptD don’t know if I’ll watch it live but I’ll hear all about it from Defining Duke and Iron Lords etc. I’m not sure we’re at the stage where they’ll announce PlayStation ports at their showcase just yet but you never know 😉

**** DLC!

CaptD

@colonelkilgore Yeah I don't think PS5 will be mentioned in regards to ports (present ones or yet to be announced ones), the best that we might get and a bit might at that is for the more obvious ones like Doom and COD where they might say and other consoles/platforms.
It could be a missed opportunity though as it would increase the viewer count (for this one and future shows) quite considerably and as we all know engagement is where it's at. However it would pee off the Xbox fans which I totally get as I still groan at the pc ports shown in state of plays, as if pc players are watching.

What I really want is Flight sim for psvr 2 but I'm not sure the ps5 has enough grunt for that.

CaptD

colonelkilgore

@CaptD that would be awesome tbh… incredibly unlikely though unfortunately. Even without the necessary grunt, Microsoft’s whole reson d’etre for releasing games on PlayStation is for large sales and a niche game on niche hardware wouldn’t be the most logical way to achieve that. Still, I reckon 90% of PSVR2 owners would probably buy it so who knows.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@CaptD @colonelkilgore I'll read up about it on the new Xbox site, Push Square.

I don't think there is too much that interests me that is on Xbox or is upcoming. Maybe The Outer Worlds 2, but I think enough time has passed from playing the first game that I'm not too bothered about it anymore. If it ever comes to PlayStation I may get to it eventually.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore I think Pure Square has a nice ring to it myself.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

colonelkilgore

So I haven’t seen anything on here but apparently there are rumours that Black Myth Wukong isn’t coming to Xbox at launch (the Xbox logo wasn’t on the Summer Gamefest trailer). Series S being the assumed reason… not good.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

I'm interested to know why Lego Horizon Adventures isn't coming to X Box. And why some people are upset it being on Switch. That I just do not understand.

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder
a) because Sony are meanies and treat Xbox players like second class citizens even though they buy just as many games as PlayStation and Switch owners.
b) because Microsoft felt so aggrieved at those nasty Major League Baseball bigwigs forcing them to accept that Sony first party nastiness on their one subscription service to rule them all, that new stipulations were applied to prevent further Sony first party dross from entering their walled-garden.
c) they couldn’t get it to run on series s
or
d) potential sales

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore I doubt it is c as it is coming to Switch. Maybe Microsoft wanted it on Gamepass but they could not agree on a figure.

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder lol, the answer was meant to be incredibly obvious due to a), b) and c) being so clear;y incorrect 🤣.

Anyway this months new hotness amongst the Xbox community off of the back of the Black Myth Wukong debacle is ‘timed-delay’.

So the sequel to the x-box tax (which I never thought would be rivalled tbh) is that Sony now pay devs to delay the x-box version 🤣

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic