Forums

Topic: You Died. The Dark Souls Series Discussion Thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 367

Th3solution

@BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN Hey buddy! I’m still in a desert-type of situation on my gaming time, so I haven’t booted any games up in a couple weeks. Hopefully after this week then my free time will open up.

So nothing new to report necessarily. I don’t remember when I left my last update but I’m currently at the Shrine of Amana area when I get back to it. I’ve had trouble sticking with my build and I considering pumping a few points into strength just so I can try out a few other weapons. My rapier dex + Hex faith/int combo build is doing fine for nearly all scenarios, but the game keeps tempting me with new loot 😅.
I mentioned earlier I think that I am fascinated by the broken Santier’s spear option and so I found a video directing me to earlier break it by wailing on Dyna and Tillo’s nest for about 10 minutes and so I did that and then infused it with Raw and it looks like it might be my better melee option over the rapier once I get another couple points onto strength so I can one-hand it.

How’s Elden Ring treating you?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@Th3solution Surely, two-handing is a better option ,for doubling the damage you can do. Unless you want to carry another weapon in your character's other hand? Sounds like you're doing well, though, and are well-equipped to deal with almost any challenge the game can throw at you!

Elden Ring is treating me just fine. It's definitely a high fantasy arpg Souls-like rather than a Souls game, imo anyway, so I am just getting used to the new scenery/environment. As I say, the DS3-style combat is fantastic. Just have to pump 13 more points into Str and then I can hit the first softcap and go farm more powerful enemies elsewhere (that are a more lucrative source of souls/runes) and then hit the next two softcaps after that.

Putting an op strength build together, as I'm sure you may already have discerned. Apparently there are only a couple of missable trophies in the game so I'm defo aiming for the Platinum.

Edit: I am also tempted by the DLC, as I have a specific build in mind for that one, and this game, unlike the Souls games lets you respec your stats at a later stage in the game.

[Edited by BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN]

"(Music is) a purposeless play. This play, however, is an affirmation of life" (paraphrased) - John Cage

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Yousef-

@BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN I wouldn’t necessarily say so. Blocking in DSII is extremely good, two-handing fully runs the risk of removing what would otherwise be an incredibly handy option.

DLC might be good to get now. I hear some stuff in DLC got nerfed to make it a little easier.

[Edited by Yousef-]

How to reach me out: 👇👇👇👇
Discord: yousef. (All lowercase with fullstop at the end)
Bluesky: yousef7
Email: [email protected] (don’t worry, it’s my non-private email for chatter)
PSN: Kat170499
You can contact me just to say hi.

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@Yousef- Oh, can you not block two-handed? I know you can in other Souls games. I would have thought that would be effective, also.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/669...

Says there that blocking works exactly the same as it did in Dark Souls, and I know for a fact you can block with your sword whilst two-handing in Dark Souls.

"(Music is) a purposeless play. This play, however, is an affirmation of life" (paraphrased) - John Cage

Yousef-

@BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN I didn’t make the claim that you can’t block, period. And well, that’s even not really the issue at All. you’re completely missing the point because while it’s technically doable, it’s not worth it because of poise and damage reduction being non existent if you don’t block with a shield.

[Edited by Yousef-]

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@Yousef- Oh ok, I didn't initially discern that from your original point. No worries, I've got the clarification now.

Although I did find blocking with greatswords effective at times in DS1. Speaking from personal experience.

But I agree that it's not a strategy you can use in every scenario.

Yousef-

@BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN all good 👍
Yeah heavier weapons are acceptable substitutes, though one would argue that by that point you could as well just commit to being fully offensive.

JohnnyShoulder

To me Elden Ring feels more like a Souls game than BloodBorne and Sekiro (which feels less like one than the other two).

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Yousef-

@JohnnyShoulder agrrr there.

JohnnyShoulder

@Yousef- I'm glad my comment made you turn into a lion. Grrrrr to you too!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Yousef-

My secret identity uncovered!

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder yeah it feels closer to a pure Souls game to me also for sure. Probably the classic fantasy setting (knights, dragons etc.)… and shields.

[Edited by colonelkilgore]

currently residing in PS3 Purgatory

Th3solution

@BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN Yeah, my Souls playstyle has gravitated to having main melee weapon in the right, and my magic casting item in the left and a shield to switch out also on the left. The alternate position on the right hand is the binoculars for magic sniping. I’m so accustomed to this set up that I very rarely will two hand. I should try to mix in some two handing though. I like having the security blanket of the shield on the left hand for a quick block if needed up close or my magic staff for softening them up from range before poking them with the melee weapon to finish them off.

The DS2 DLC apparently have a lot of magic resistant enemies so that’s another reason I was considering having a strength weapon for that part.

Incidentally, I believe there is a way to respec points in DS2 with a rare Soul vessel item if presented to the witch at the very start of the game. I have two of those soul vessels right now, but haven’t tried to respec yet since I’m getting by fine, but I’m saving the option if I feel like I’m struggling late game or in the reportedly harder DLC. One YouTube video I saw showed the guy doing a respec to have all his stats equal and then infusing the broken Santier’s Spear with mundane and it does absolutely catastrophic damage. So I’ve got that as a backup if I need to switch things up.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Yousef- I moved over here to keep the other thread tidy… 😄

But yeah, it seems like FromSoft’s strategy is to save really good weapons and item drops for the end game areas to tempt you to do NG+!

I’ve been miserly with my Effigies and Twinkling Titanite and now I have quite a lot to play around with. As a Hexer on this run mainly, I also saw that the absolute best casting weapon in the game doesn’t come until the last boss.

I guess that’s just standard RPG design, but for Souls games it really makes you want to play around with the new stuff you get in the late game.

Anyway, I have done quite a bit of farming at the Shrine of Amana and probably should just move along. I’m so OP for this section that I need to just progress through to the end game. I’m not sure what’s best - to finish the last boss and then do the DLC or go over to the DLC first and then do the final boss. For now I’m just going keep on the main path and then decide later. Probably will do like I did for DS1 and do the DLC before finishing the main game. It does probably make the final boss trivial, but that’s ok.

Yousef-

@BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN nope. He’s been mostly busy playing the club games from what I seen him post (I promise I’m not stalking him), no progress in DS2 was made since he’s been busy with stuff in general.

Yagami

I think this series took a tumble after Dark Souls and hasn´t recovered since. What do you think?

Yagami

Yousef-

@Yagami you mean just DS1 or the trilogy?

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@Yagami Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls III are definitely my favourites but I am currently loving my time in The Lands Between, nevertheless.

Yousef-

@BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN I just noticed your avatar change. Beautiful build!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic