Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 3,761 to 3,780 of 5,675

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@Kidfried I love the monochrome 1-bit art style and the memento mori pocketwatch death-scene mechanic .The game design is fantastic ,and well, there's not much else to say as there's not much else to the game is there? But the puzzle aspect of solving the clues to unravel the mystery is obviously good too, it is very different to the Souls games which I have primarily played in the past, and ,as you say, to many of the different games out there right now, it was a toss-up between this and FFVII Remake for my next game but I chose this as I didn't like the idea of switching between characters on-the-fly during gameplay.

What did you like about it?

[Edited by BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN]

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

Played a bit of Judgement last night. Yeah it was oright. Movement feels a bit janky in places, but apart from that it was fun what I played. Not played any of the Yakuza games so can't compare it to them, but might get the latest one at some point as it is a fresh start for the series.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

Nah, there are too many games in the series to play at this point, and it feels a bit overwhelming tbh. I'd rather start from the most recent games and go from there.

I think I've got one from PS plus, but that will most join a ton of other games I will never get round to play.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@Thrillho @Kidfried @JohnnyShoulder I can empathize with Johnny — if there is a series that has an intimidating volume of content, it’s Yakuza. I mean, even more than anything else it’s just frightening as a newcomer who likes completion. And I know that each game has a satisfying ending and can stand alone, but they are all interconnected closely and in the case of Y0-Y6, it’s literally the continuous story of Kiryu, as far as I understand. So to get the whole story, that’s 7 games, running an average of what, 60 hours each. Maybe 400-500 hours (or more depending on style of play) just to see Kiryu’s whole arc? It is really a scary proposition.

I can think of other series that have multiple entries that are really long epics, like Final Fantasy, the Tales series, or Zelda, but none that are so dependent story wise on having played the others quite like Yakuza. At least this is my perception. I played about halfway through Y0 and it was great fun, but as more and more Yakuza and spin offs dropped quickly into the market, I got pretty overwhelmed and jumped ship before I lost my life to Japanese organized crime. Y0 alone was a huge game and a large (albeit enjoyable) time sink.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution I wasn’t being entirely serious when I posted that reply to @JohnnyShoulder

There are plenty of games in the series I admit but I’ve been steadily playing them across three years or so as something I know I’ll enjoy but don’t feel that I want to plough through in one go.

I was just lucky that they announced the 3-5 remakes not long after I finished Kiwami 2 as I was thinking about having to find copies of the PS3 games and dig my console out of the attic to complete the series

Zero and Kiwami are easy to play as one offs from the main series though.

[Edited by Thrillho]

Thrillho

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@Kidfried Yeah it's definitely very impressive that it's all made by one person, and I can see what you mean about the parallel between RotOD and the Souls games, discovering things for yourself is all part of the fun!

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Metal Gear Solid springs to mind, and that JRPG series KratosMD was into that requires extensive knowledge of previous games to get the most out of them. You could argue aven after playing the MGS games you still won't know what is going on with the story! 😆

@Kidfried Thank you, that it very helpful. I'll try and 🐻 that I'm mind once I've finished Judgement.

@Thrillho Untitled

[Edited by JohnnyShoulder]

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder good call on the MGS series. That is another one that is a long interdependent collection where full appreciation of the narrative requires played through the whole shebang.

The other you’re trying to think of is the Trail of Cold Steel and all those other Legend of Heroes games. And Yup, a completely similar situation also with hundreds of hours across multiple games needed for the full effect

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I remember watching a recap on the MGS story before I played V as I've only played 1 and 2. I think I would have better off not watching it!

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I know, right - As much as I love the series, it’s a tangled web as far as narrative coherence. And probably the most crucial prequel to MGSV is Peace Walker, which was largely looked over because it was introduced on PSP. And the next most important game to understand it would be MGS1, which is stranded on PS1.

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Maybe why I didn't enjoy it.

[Edited by JohnnyShoulder]

colonelkilgore

Started Doom 2016 this morning, only played the first few missions so far but its awesome fair play. So fast, so playable... and just fun.

[Edited by colonelkilgore]

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@RogerRoger We’re actually playing Psychonauts as part of the Xbox Game Club this month so I’ve played the first couple of hours and our lovely host @ralphdibny has finished it!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett lovely host 😊 aww shucks 😅

@RogerRoger @Kidfried yup!!

https://www.purexbox.com/forums/xbox-series-x/pure_xbox_game_...

We started Psychonauts this month. I thought it was brilliant and more or less 100% it. Then I played the VR spin off Rhombus of Ruin last night which was a decent if not brief affair.

I, as well as others have written up some thoughts of both games in that thread. Please do mosey on over and post some of your thoughts as you play. Alternatively, I could copy and paste some of my thoughts over to this site 😅

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Kidfried psycho aunts, brilliant! 😂 I guess you'll take the copy and paste option then!!

See ya!

colonelkilgore

Doom (2016) is brilliant, really didn’t think it’d be my kinda thing but loving every minute. I’ll look forward to playing Doom: Eternal when Doom:Returnal/Infinite/???? releases 😎

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic