Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 681 to 700 of 4,493

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, the copying problem is gone on PS5. PS4 has to create a new file after every update whereas PS5 can just insert the new data. I think technically downloading and copying games would only be faster in the sense that the games can fit into a smaller file size. Also this only applies to PS5 games, just having an SSD doesn’t automatically do this.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Cool, thanks for clarifying. Yeah that is one of the reasons I didn't upgrade my internal PS4 drive with an SSD, as the gains weren't that huge compared to the cost as it would still be compromised by the limitations of the ps4 hardware.

I don't feel as downbeat and more optimistic about the whole thing now after watching a couple of reaction vids explaining things in terms so that a simpleton like me could under stand it a bit more.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BearsEatBeets

Ok I'm going to muddy some waters and stir some hornets nests here. When Mark Cerny discussed backwards compatibility they used this image.

Untitled

Which I find very odd. Mainly in the shape used to contain the text, as it looks like it is leaving a gap. For something like this later on?

Untitled

Now I'm not saying I think this will happen, because I thought it was already unlikely before the talk and don't see why they would leave it for later but just felt the image felt oddly laid out. Also, I found the second image but cropped it for rudeness as someone made it to show displeasure.

Just wanted to add, regardless if Series X is more 'powerful', considering what many of Sony Worldwide Studios are able to create with a 1.8TF PS4, I can't wait to see what they can do with the leap in power the PS5 will give them.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

nessisonett

@BearsEatBeets The reason it was laid out like that is because the previous image was this.

Untitled

It was to show that PS5’s chipset integrates elements of PS4 and PS4 Pro, instead of including its entire chipset on a different section. He just used the same image to illustrate his point, nothing more. Plus, you can’t just add chipsets to the console via an update, it would have to be a whole new revision and PSX/PS2 would be easier to just emulate.

[Edited by nessisonett]

BearsEatBeets

@nessisonett I meant more for a reveal later on, not a physical change. I clearly wasn't paying enough attention on that part and missed the image you posted. My bad, thanks for explaining.

BearsEatBeets

Octane

@nessisonett If you add a PS1/2 chipset, you wouldn't have to emulate those systems. Then it can run them natively. Because the PS5 is so much more powerful than the PS1 and 2, it can theoretically emulate them perfectly, no need for additional custom chipset.

Octane

Octane

@BearsEatBeets Xbox Series X being more powerful is a bit overblown IMO. The difference between Xbox One and PS4 was marginal at best, and their peak performance was 1.4 GFLOPs for the Xbox One, and 1.8 GFLOPS for the PS4. By that measure, the PS4 is 1.29 times as powerful, or 29% more powerful.

The Series X clocks in at 12 TFLOPs, and the PS5 at 10.28 TFLOPs. So the Series X is 1.17 times more powerful than the PS5. However, the SSD in PS5 is better. So, it really depends on the game. Some games will have marginally faster loading on PS5, and some games will have marginally better graphics on Series X. It really doesn't make a big difference IMO.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane As much as you could run them natively, adding chipsets when you could just emulate is a bit of a waste of resources. The reason PS3 was so expensive was because it contained the entire PS2 chipset so they’re avoiding this with PS5. I reckon they’ll just stick with emulation for the older consoles and keep PS3 for streaming with Now.

BearsEatBeets

@Octane Yeah totally, hence why I put powerful in quotation marks. I think it's interesting how the two consoles have strengths in different areas and which will eventually prove to be more beneficial to games. The way Mark Cerny expressed they have made the PS5 to meet the demands of developers is encouraging and I can't wait to see what they can do with it.

BearsEatBeets

Octane

@nessisonett Oh yeah, agreed. I still don't know why they won't just do that. Built in an emulator on the software level. Put in a disc, and either copy the data and play it from the SSD, or just run it from the disc. Both are possible I think. It requires a bit of work, but people like that stuff.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane I mean, walking the plank aside, you can put a PSX/PS2 disc in your PC and run it off an emulator perfectly fine. It’s absolutely possible but Sony might see some potential security issues since you could fake a PS2 game and get it to run malicious code. As we saw with the PS Classic though, Sony either don’t understand emulation or they just can’t be bothered.

Octane

@nessisonett Wait, you can? I've never heard that was possible on PC. That removes the last bit of doubt I had about it.

Still, even Xbox does it the weird way. They offer digital versions, of which they have to acquire the distributions rights. If they had en emulator all OG Xbox games and 360 games would be compatible, and you wouldn't have to wait for MS to update their library. So I'm definitely suspecting there's another thing stopping them from doing it. But yeah, in theory it's possible.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane Yep, an ISO is just a disc image so whether that’s saved to hard drive or an actual disc, the theory’s the same. It gets more complicated with Blu-Rays though.

JohnnyShoulder

Thought this vid explained the differences quite well. He didn't cover everything, such as how storage will work, however. And ignore the title, he goes into way more detail into other aspects too.

[Edited by JohnnyShoulder]

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

WebHead

Sony's rollout seems to be built around preventing leaks. if that is the case I would assume a PS5 themed SoP is coming in May. if preventing leaks is the mentality then I imagine they would want to show stuff before hardware production begins.

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

JJ2

@JohnnyShoulder
I prefer NX

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

JohnnyShoulder

Colin and Chris really went for Sony over backwards compatibility in the latest Sacred Symbols +. If only they had recorded it after the latest news from Sony lol.

JJ2

Look I'm not very clever but my admiration for Cerny got a huge 'boost' so to speak. Not only the man is incredibly intelligent but he had the balls to really innovate whereas it was tempting to play safe and roll on with the ps4 success.
A lot of BS going on atm including from the press who didnt listen to what he said. GPU frequency is 2.23 and variable means it may be downclocking to 2.20. Its completely overblown. The performance is sustained.

[Edited by JJ2]

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Octane

@JohnnyShoulder People in general were quick to jump to conclusions. Last year, Sony already confirmed that the PS5 will be BC with the PS4 (as expected from a hardware point of view).

Cerny was talking about boost mode on the PS5 and how, of the 100 most played games (the popular ones), most worked better than expected. And that they're testing every game to make sure it works properly. The same Microsoft is doing really, because they also backtracked on their original statement.

The problem is that Sony invited everyone to watch the stream, so people got the idea that it was the PS5 reveal. It wasn't. It was a GDC talk. And Microsoft was smart to use that to Tweet out the ''ALL Xbox One games are BC on Series X''. But even they backtracked on that and clarified that they expect the majority to work, and that they're currently testing all the games.

So here we are, both companies are in the same boat, but someone the narrative is that ''hur-dur, Microsoft is better because they have BC and Sony doesn't''. Which is silly IMO. And people say console wars don't exist anymore. I've seen enough bickering on both sides in the last few days. Just wait until everything is properly revealed before jumping to conclusions.

Octane

JJ2

@KratosMD
'Who in their right minds would buy an Xbox One over PS4, '
Gamers who liked the exclusives and I respect that.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic