Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 661 to 680 of 4,493

WebHead

Tbh the prerelease marketing and buildup for PS5 has sucked. I'm trying to be patient but man they are not making it easy.

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

JJ2

@JohnnyShoulder
A very nice reaction / summary from DF.
I knew Cerny is a genius but it's really astonishing the level of innovation and personal vision he came up with. Impressive stuff.

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

JohnnyShoulder

@WebHead Think you need to bear in mind that how much coronavirus may impacted them. People should be happy that they have not announced any delays so far and appreciate that in the current climate.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@JJ2 nice one, I'll take a look at that later. đź‘Ť

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

DonJorginho

This is a very underwhelming Console build up.

825GB SSD is not enough, especially when the SSDs compatible with the PS5 are not even on the market yet and will be crazy expensive.

The Backwards Compatibility is not clear and has left me and many PS4 Owners in the dark as to what games we will be able to access on the PS5 system.

It seems Ray Tracing will be a very dumb downed version at that to run on the Sony System too.

The big pluses are the speed of the SSD and the 3D Audio that they are championing, I just hope it is as big of a leap as Cerny says.

I hope as this is a 9 TF Console (Overclocking takes it to 10.4 but is likely around 9.4 TF Raw), the pricing will be a lot more competitive than the Xbox Series X and means that the consoles won't cost ÂŁ550 plus.

Also I am hoping that there are multiple storage options, like a more expensive model for the sake of 2TB storage or 1.5TB etc.

DonJorginho

JJ2

Yea like people dont seem to understand ps5 philosophy is all dedicated to a super fast SSD. It's not just about loading time. The memory for instance (during gameplay) will just need to access a limited part of the data on the fly as opposed to loading a huge chunk. And therefore more efficient for other tasks. Well that's what I get from DF haha

[Edited by JJ2]

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

WebHead

Let me know when sony shows something, you know, interesting. I dont care about the numbers.

WebHead

JohnnyShoulder

@JJ2 Yeah that is my understanding too.

nessisonett

@Shirayuki He was using it as an example of 3D audio, since it’s a horror game. It wasn’t in any way announcing BC for PS3 games. If it’s going to be on PS5, it’ll be through Now, if anything.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@Shirayuki it gonna be upto 100 ps4 games at launch with more in the way. It was a similar situation when Xbox first started doing it.

[Edited by JohnnyShoulder]

nessisonett

@Shirayuki Yeah, it was a weird one but I think it illustrates the situation well, being a game with countless nasties hidden in the dark.

johncalmc

@Jaz007 If I understood the lecture correctly - entirely possible that I didn't - 825GB is actually, relatively, more storage than it sounds because in previous generations games were inefficiently stored thanks to duplicate data - a necessity born from how HDDs work. With the new setup, they won't require duplicates, so theoretically, game sizes could actually be smaller than before despite the games being more advanced, so 825GB is more than it sounds.

Or I could just be a moron.

Anyway, this whole thing was a misstep, but as soon as they show it all off properly I'm sure they can cheer everyone up. Why do we buy PlayStations? Games. And they're almost certainly going to have them. We just need to see them.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

@johncalmc You’re dead on there. Due to the intricacies of HDDs, sectors and how slow they seek data, data is duplicated so that the game spends less time seeking data. If that’s instantaneous, data will only need to be stored once, massively reducing the size of games. Of course, this will mean even bigger games can fit on a Blu-Ray so I guess they’ll probably stay the same size.

Jaz007

@johncalmc You might be right. I did think about that part of it as well. I can’t help but wonder if texture sizes will increase as well and similar things though since graphics will be better. I don’t think games will be much bigger, but feel that it might offset the gains, so it evens out to games being the same size at the end of the day.
By all means though, I hope you’re right and it’s just smaller because that would be fantastic.

Jaz007

WebHead

Gotta feeling sony is spending so much on cooling because they aim to have a smallish formfactor like with OG PS4.

WebHead

Octane

@WebHead Probably because of the higher clock speeds.

Octane

Ryall

@Jaz007 @DonJorginho The unusual size of 825GB was a product of the way the chip was designed with 12 channels to achieve high speed at relatively low cost. It isn’t divisible so the next size up is 1.65TB. Which they decided was too expensive. It’s a pity because if they were selling a high-capacity model for another hundred pounds I would have bought it.

Ryall

Jaz007

@Ryall Okay, I see. I'll probably wait until Sony gives an upgrade chip for a decent price after launch. It kinda sucks, but I'll have to make due for now.

Jaz007

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Not the most glamourous of things a console can do, but does this mean that moving and downloading stuff will be quicker? Like when I move games from my PS4 internal drive to my external drive it takes a few minutes. Or when an update is downloading, it can sometimes take longer to copy it over then to download.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic