Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 3,601 to 3,620 of 3,718

TheIdleCritic

@kyleforrester87 (New to the thread, haven't read back through it). Oh my god. I was thinking - no, you're wrong - without even clicking the link. Because I believe that FF9 has the best music... and so do you! I bought the soundtrack three times! Once on vinyl, and two collector's edition CD sets.

It's also my favourite game of the series

[Edited by TheIdleCritic]

HallowMoonshadow

Sooo I've spent well over an hour now listening to IX's soundtrack and... I've pretty much forgotten all of it five minutes on.

Every time I try to hum the battle theme for example I just go into IV's instead thanks to that baseline... I have to remember other parts of the song to actually recall IX's battle theme properly.

I wouldn't say the music was bad (I mean personally I don't think Uematsu is the god composer everyone makes him out to be in general but I digress) but like Ral I find IX's music rather lacking myself.

It's good for when I'm playing the game but it's nuthin' to write home about.

Honestly I remember FFXIII's battle theme more then anything from IX... And I haven't played XIII for well over 12 years

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@HallowMoonshadow I think IX has really high highs with the soundtrack but there’s a lot of tracks so some of it does wash over you. Freya’s Theme! The overworld theme! Although I’m absolutely a field track over battle track sorta person, much prefer the ambient music in basically all games to action tracks.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett the FF9 overworld theme is absolutely on point. I can actually remember the first time I heard it - loved it immediately. I was so relieved after the boring drone of FF8. Even the name of the track, Over The Hill - man, makes me wanna go on an adventure!

[Edited by kyleforrester87]

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 I wouldn’t say there’s a single forgettable overworld theme in the series minus maybe the very first game. They’re all great in their own way, even II and III’s NES versions. VIII’s is different for sure but I think it fits the world.

HallowMoonshadow

I'm a simple woman @nessisonett, I like what I like regardless of where it plays. I probably do recall action tracks more then ambient ones myself but as long as they have a memorable hook it's all that matters.

Rabanastre's theme from XII, Balamb Garden & Man With a Machine Gun from VIII, Memories Of Lightwaves from X-2, To Zanarkand & The battle theme from X... The list goes on.

Like I said I don't think any of IX's tracks are outright bad but without them outright playing before me... I just don't really recall anything in regards to the music.

I've completely forgotten how Freya's theme went despite listening to it 20 minutes ago... And I really like her design and character in general.

I will say I do think the overworld theme, Over The Hill, is pretty good and is actually sticking with me.

[Edited by HallowMoonshadow]

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Thrillho

New difficulty mode for FF7R2.

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Sorry for the late reply @kyleforrester87 been a little busy the past week.

I prefer the first version myself with it's more melancholy tone.

Can't say I really like that second version all that much at all.

To be honest I never really got why people seem to like Beatrix as a character when I was playing it.

Granted I only got to the third disc or so (The last thing I recall doing was going to some big tree and fighting some monster in the depths and then Garnet becoming queen) but... I dunno Beatrix seemed kinda iredeemable to me personally

kyleforrester87

@HallowMoonshadow Although, yeah I guess what she did was pretty deplorable when you think about it lol.

@johncalmc Yeah thats the music I linked above. Her theme tune is the nuts. And that love letter bit is gold. I'd be the guy getting a nose bleed.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah plus my memory is a bit fuzzy on the details but from what I recall the first time you actually see Beatrix voicing some disapproval of the Queen's actions was after she got ignored as the queen was just marvelling over the power of the Eidolons @kyleforrester87.

I may be misremembering but it certainly didn't paint her in a good light.

... She does have nice hair though I will agree to that

nessisonett

FF7R’s DLC was alright. Like playing as Yuffie, she was fun. Cannot believe they made essentially a prequel to Dirge of Cerberus though, slightly ashamed I even remember details from that game’s plot. Just bizarre, they do love to give you the complete opposite of what you want.

LtSarge

I'm considering playing Final Fantasy 8 in the near future, which would be my first time. I have the original PS1 game on Vita but I've been curious about the remastered version. It seems to have several features that make grinding and traversal easier compared to the original. Do you guys think it's worth buying it or should I just stick with the OG PS1 game?

LtSarge

Fight_Teza_Fight

@LtSarge I played through FF8 for the first time a couple of months ago.
Like you I had it on Vita, but Remastered is also available via Extra. So that’s how I played it.
Had a really good time with it. Also has a highly obtainable platinum trophy (couple of missable just make sure to get them by the end of disc 2).

I’m playing through FFIX atm & it hasn’t really grabbed me. Tetra master is great & I like Quina (obtaining Blu magic & getting frog rewards), but I’m missing the magic & mystery.
I’m at the outer continent atm. Very little optional stuff so far.

[Edited by Fight_Teza_Fight]

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

nessisonett

@LtSarge Might start FF8 again only to give up at the start of Disc 2 again. One day I will finish it. Even cheats don’t boost my motivation.

johncalmc

@LtSarge I would recommend the remaster over the original PS1 version for all of the three PS1 Final Fantasy games. The remasters make the grind much easier if you feel inclined to use the "cheats" and they look nice and they have trophies. I don't really use the boosts when I play, but when I get to the bits where I have to level up loads I do to save time. It's helpful.

johncalmc

Twitter:

themcnoisy

@Fight_Teza_Fight agreed. FF8 is better remastered. Grinding to Junction magic is faster, meaning I could enjoy the story without the heavy emphasis on grinding inbetween each story section.

@nessisonett turning off random encounters during the prison sequence makes it 100x more enjoyable. I have an idea why that section exists, to buff your party with squall missing (else squall over levels everyone by a considerable margin). It's the worst part of the game easily.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic