Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,381 to 4,400 of 8,131

zupertramp

@Ralizah I'm ashamed to say I was also an ***** as a teenager but I had no guiding ideology to blame it on. I was just an *****. I was fairly conservative looking back but I'm not blaming my being a jerk on that, though I am glad I'm not who I once was on most issues.

Still quite impressive that you had a philosophy at all. I'll have to give that video a watch when my family isn't about. I don't wanna have to explain myself lol.

@ralphdibny I'm, again, extremely jealous as they're basically my favourite band but I've never seen them live. I remember early 2020 I tried to get tickets for their reunion tour but wasn't able to. I was pretty disappointed but then the pandemic hit so, blessing in disguise I guess.

Also was realizing No Shelter was eventually on a live album but other than that it was only initially on the Godzilla soundtrack of all things. The one from the 90s with Matthew Broderick. So it's an easy song to miss. I don't even think it's in the movie itself. Similarly with their song Darkness of Greed off The Crow soundtrack.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

GilbertXI

I had to look up Ayn Rand because the name was familiar, I read Anthem a couple years ago. It was pretty mediocre IMO, worldbuilding was pretty bad, characters were thin as paper and it left more questions than answers, but not in a good way. Pretty unfortunate too because the way the author was using POV was actually really interesting, but oh well. It didn't really give me an incentive to read the rest of her books if I'm gonna be honest.

GilbertXI

ralphdibny

@zupertramp that explains why I haven't heard it then! Ive only listened to the main 3 albums. I hope you get a chance to see them when this pandemic is over, I can only imagine how much more powerful their show might have become in the current political climate. I must admit that I was young when I saw them, maybe 18-19 so I don't know if I could handle one of their gigs now in my current body haha. What am I saying, I'd still go see them again if I had the chance!

See ya!

zupertramp

@ralphdibny yeah as grumpy as I've gotten in my older age I'm not sure how i'd handle a concert like that. i was willing to roll the dice on it though. i guess i still am, but it'll probably be awhile.

•••••••••••••

So I'd heard nothing but good things about Sound of Metal so I just watched it this evening and I think the praise is well deserved. Lead actor, who I'd never even heard of until now, was great. Impressive sound design. Moving story overall. Just a really really good film. Which is nice because I feel like it's been a minute since I've seen a really good one.

[Edited by zupertramp]

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

MightyDemon82

watched the breaker upperers over the weekend if you like kiwi humour this was a funny little movie!

MightyDemon82

HallowMoonshadow

Watched Mad Max: Fury Road last night for the first time in a while.

I think the story and it's themes are a bit heavy handed at times... But other then that it's an absolutely fantastic film.

The Dust Storm sequence was even better looking then I remembered, the fact the film mostly relies on practical effects is outstanding, the sets and costumes are great, the action is fantastic (for what's essentially one long chase sequence), the soundtrack's really good and I really quite like the characters... Even the absolutely vile villians are a hoot.

It's definitely worthy of the awards it won and I hope we get another one soon... Preferably a mainline one rather then the furiosa spinoff they were talking about a while back

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I was tempted to click on Mad Max Fury Road last night as well. (And I chose to watch Dalek instead 😂). After some discussion we had recently somewhere on here (with @colonelkilgore and/or @ralphdibny I think it was when we were discussing the Mad Max video game) I was curious to try it. Your praise has me even more interested. Despite Dalek being a little “meh” for me. 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

If I have steered you wrong with British Sci-Fi then hopefully I can correct that course with an Austrilian action film that's... Well a bit mad at times @Th3solution.

Good lord I hope you don't end up finding it Untitled too (You'll get it once you've seen it lol 😂)

[Edited by HallowMoonshadow]

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KidRyan

colonelkilgore wrote:

Just about to watch the original Karate Kid in preparation to start Cobra Kai. Gonna try and watch The Karate Kid 2 and 3 by the time Monday rears its ugly head too.

Did you end up watching all 3 films yet? I finished Karate Kid 3 yesterday, hoping to start Cobra Kai: Season 1 today if I have any time left.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

zupertramp

Finally got around to watching WW84. Wow, I mean, I had expected to hate watch it but it exceeded all expectations in that regard. Terrible script more than anything else. Not well shot in a lot of places as well. Half the characters had terrible accents for some reason. And oh my Lord what was that zany mall opener? I half expected Sinbad or Mcaulay Culkin to pop out. So tonally different than the rest of the film.

Anyway, it's 2 and a half hours gone from my life but whatever, it's not hanging over my head anymore.

zupertramp

@RogerRoger what you mention in the spoiler tags I honestly didn't even really think about. I thought the overall storytelling device used (that gives rise to what you said) was silly and unnecessary but, for whatever reason, I didn't pick up on the specific thing you mention, until you suggested it.

Long story short, this was the least of the films problems imo. But to each their own.

Edit: I want to add, there's an episode of DC Super Hero Girls on Netflix that does a better job of presenting a believable evolution of the relationship between Cheetah and WW (where Cheetah's motivations are driven primarily by jealousy and resentment towards WW) And this is a cartoon for small children!

[Edited by zupertramp]

RR529

I can't tell you how many times over I've watched the Godzilla VS Kong trailer (everytime YouTube plays it before a video, it's one of the few ads I won't skip when given the option). If it weren't for COVID it'd definitely be a film I'd see in theaters.

The trailer does seem to have more of a Kong focused bias, but that could be a red herring. I still fully expect there to be some sort of big bad they'll ultimately have to team up against, given as how they've both been presented as guardians of some sort in their individual films, and are ultimately benevolent. Some say you can briefly see Mechagodzilla at a point in the trailer.

But hey, Kong still hasn't yet earned the moniker of "King" yet, so maybe the film will end with him inheriting the "King of the Monsters" moniker from Godzilla in some manner & officially becoming King Kong.

[Edited by RR529]

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

TheIdleCritic

@RR529 A good King is diplomatic and knows how to choose allies - so maybe a common enemy like Mecha Godzilla or Mothra will turn up and Kong and Godzilla decide to join forces to save earth.

[Edited by TheIdleCritic]

nessisonett

I watched Soul and it was the closest Pixar have come in a while to matching their pre-Toy Story 3 quality. It’s only really held back by some truly questionable narrative decisions in the treatment of Joe as a vehicle for 22’s journey. It’s a real shame that Pixar had crafted one of the most engagingly human characters in a long time and then funnelled him into a blue blob and then a cat, reducing his journey to almost a subplot. The real problem is that 22 just wasn’t necessary. Tina Fey phones in her performance and gives us yet another Pixar ‘annoying character with heart’ that we’ve seen a million times before. It’s frustrating because the opening 20 minutes are fantastic and the ending is great too. It could have been a classic and instead is more like an animated Green Book. At least the score was brilliant, both the jazzy real life side by Jon Batiste and the spacey new-age side by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

So I've just watched One Night in Miami. Outstanding movie. Well acted, well paced, humorous, relevant, evocative... just an extremely good film. And a directorial debut at that for Regina King, which makes it all the more impressive.

nessisonett

@zupertramp Ooh, I need to give that a watch. Good to hear it’s worth it anyway, I’ve only heard good things about it.

zupertramp

@nessisonett Well, hopefully I've not built it up too much. That's always a risk when you rave about a movie. It really does seem like your cup of tea though.

Hoping to watch Soul but I really have to be in the right mood for animated films for some reason. And that mood seems to strike me less and less as I get older. Guess my inner child is slowly dying.

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp I'm the same with animated movies, but I have made more of an effort to watch them more often recently. Especially with a load of Studio Ghibli and similar movies on Netflix. I find them a nice palette cleanser to all the grimdark and more serious films intend to watch.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder Glad I'm not the only one.

nessisonett

I watched the Star Wars The Clone Wars movie and honestly it was a bit rubbish. I was planning on watching the series afterwards but my enthusiasm has somewhat dipped.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic