Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,401 to 4,420 of 8,130

colonelkilgore

Dark Waters was very good. I’m sure most people have an idea about the irresponsible nature of the Corporatocracy spawned from the baby-boomers and they’re greed-filled pursuit of profit... but even if that’s the case this true story will likely still be somewhat shocking.

**** DLC!

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

I've just started watching Snow White and The Huntsman, and just got up to the part where she escapes from her cell in the beginning, interesting movie so far, sort of a darker take on the fairy tale, right?

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

Tenet - Interesting concept which takes way too long to get going, the first hour and a half was just John David Washington's character going to a series of meetings with other characters. I also found the fight scenes unintentionally funny as they looked a bit odd. I can see what they were trying to do, but for me it didn't work. The other actions scenes such the car chase and the climax were awesome though, and overall the films visuals were stellar.

And last but not least, the sound mix. Terrible. Really struggled to hear dialogue in this film, even when there was no soundtrack playing. It's not my audio setup either as other people have mentioned it too and other content is fine. I had to crank the volume right up only for the soundtrack to kick in and be extremely loud. My neighbours must of thought there was an earthquake! 🤣

I don't recall this being an issue with Nolan's previous films, but I know others have. Dunno if he has some kind of hearing problem, but he was going to release The Dark Knight Rises in a similar state.

It's a shame as I've really enjoyed most of his previous films. I'm glad I rented this instead buying it outright, which I recommend to others.

[Edited by JohnnyShoulder]

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Nolan seems to employ a deaf person as his sound mixer. There’s no point even turning up the sound to hear the actors as then Hans Zimmer will melt your face off with a big BWAAAA of sound.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder I recommend the Screen Rant Pitch Meeting video for Tenet. Fairly spot on critique. Same for WW84*.

*if you've seen it, that is. obviously these include spoilers.

[Edited by zupertramp]

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

BearsEatBeets

@nessisonett To be fair I find most modern films seem to like going from whispering quiet characters to blaring dramatic music/effects but Nolan certainly seems to take to extremes with Zimmer. Anytime I watch a film nowadays I have to keep the remote in my hand to adjust the volume throughout. @JohnnyShoulder I think the problem is exacerbated in The Dark Knight Rises with the choice of voice Hardy uses and the mask covering his face. That film could use a subtitle track just for Bane.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

nessisonett

@BearsEatBeets Bane is a walking meme in that movie.

no onE CaReD Who I wAs uNtIl i PUT on tHE mAsK

TheFrenchiestFry

I loved Bane in the film but so much of what he says is honestly really funny out of context. Not helping things is that his voicebox and the way it synthesizes his dialogue makes him sound like Sean Connery doing a second rate Optimus Prime impression

It's still better than his try hard Brooklyn accent as Eddie Brock in Venom though

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I think the moral of the story is that Tom Hardy absolutely cannot do accents and should stick to his own admittedly strange voice. Sean Connery made a great career out of being a Scottish Russian submarine captain, a Scottish Spanish swordsman etc.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett The only time I kind of took him seriously with an accent was his Capone impression because at least you can interpret it as him during that period of time when his health was on the serious decline and thus how disjointed he sounded could come off as an extension of the guy just being extremely ill all over. It actually kind of worked there

Eddie Brock in Venom sounded like that hardcore "I'm from the Bronx" accent Tom Holland did as a joke in Spider-Man Homecoming when he was rescuing the decathlon team inside the Washington Monument

TheFrenchiestFry

BearsEatBeets

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

like Sean Connery doing a second rate Optimus Prime impression

Love it

@nessisonett Sean Connery was the master of just using his own accent regardless of the character and everyone just going with it.

BearsEatBeets

zupertramp

@nessisonett @TheFrenchiestFry @BearsEatBeets

Honestly, I think Bane looks and sounds awesome in that movie. I didn't find him all that hard to understand, personally. It's certainly nothing compared to Tenet. For me, Bane just works in The Dark Knight Rises.

That said, I'll forever be disappointed that he's reduced to glorified henchmen in the end, just so Nolan could have his twist.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets @nessisonett Like I said, I don't really recall it being an issue with Nolan's other movies or any other ones. I would struggle to name any that I had trouble to hear the dialogue... but Tenet was truly awful in that regard. Also, Zimmer wasn't the composer on Tenet as he was busy doing Dune, so...

It was at first difficult to understand Hardy as Bane in TDR, but once I had gotten used to it, it was fine. I know some people did find it hard though, so maybe I have the hearing of a dog or something! 😂 Just thank f that they saw sense and didn't use the original sound mix.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

TheFrenchiestFry

@zupertramp Bane definitely isn't hard to understand. He definitely does come off as intimidating. I found his whole speech at Blackgate Prison as very indicative of a commanding presence and his scene with John Daggett still sends chills down my spine. He isn't even talking loudly it's just really intentional whispering

I found his discardment towards the end slightly disappointing but I still like the red herring of him supposedly being Ra's al Ghul's kid since when I first watched the film I never stopped to consider maybe it was actually someone else. At least Bane gets to fight Batman one more time before being turned into the sidekick

[Edited by TheFrenchiestFry]

TheFrenchiestFry

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp Yeah I usually watch those after the film I've watched. I don't remember that one though, so I will, give it a watch. Honest Trailers are also good for a giggle.

TheFrenchiestFry

@JohnnyShoulder The sound mixing in Tenet is literally Sonic Adventure 2 Battle levels of bad

The music drowns out the most important dialogue and I was honestly reminded of that whole scene on the Space Colony Ark between Sonic and Shadow when the music was like 10 decibels higher than the character audio

TheFrenchiestFry

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder @zupertramp Yeah I think it gets easier the more you get used to the way he talks. It's been a while since I've watched it but would say it was sometimes tricky to understand him rather than impossible. Despite that I do actually like Hardy/Nolan's bane and enjoy the film a lot, probably more than many as I believe it's much more derided than the first 2 films. I've actually got the 4K boxset since I got my PS5 but haven't watched them yet.

BearsEatBeets

JohnnyShoulder

@TheFrenchiestFry The scene on the yacht made me laugh the most. They all had mic's, were shouting at each other but because of the noisy boat and the soundtrack blarring out, you still couldn't hear them! 🤣

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Oh man, I mentioned the dreadful sound mixing in SA2B on NLife a couple of days ago. That’s the closest I’ve seen a game’s sound mixing be as bad as a Nolan movie.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic