Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,301 to 8,320 of 8,432

FuriousMachine

@Pizzamorg Love the dedication Would you consider watching two movies in one night if you missed the previous day cheating or is that okay?

I know I would spectacularly fail at a project like that, so I've decided to just go with "as many as I can" during October. So tonight I'm planning a double bill of classics: The Kiss of the Vampire, the Hammer film from 1963 and Roger Corman's The Masque of the Red Death with Vincent Price from 1964. Haven't seen any of them before, but I love the old horror movies, so here's hoping it will be a fun evening

FuriousMachine

Pizzamorg

Generally @FuriousMachine if there is ever anything I don't get to, I have a big blow out on Halloween and just do them all in one marathon. So far though I've not missed a day in the last few years I have been doing this, and generally I just end up ordering too many films, which make up the marathon on the last day ๐Ÿ˜‚

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Hogs-of-War-General

@Pizzamorg Yeah I watched "In a Violent Nature" in theatres when it played and agree with you completely! There are some great moments in the film that definitely make it a slasher however the majority of the film has very "artistic" dull moments of nothingness. Definitely not for everyone and worth 1 watch for the deaths but that's about it.

Fortunately I have been able to watch 2 movies a day since Oct 1st however I don't know if I can maintain that for the full month of October haha!

Yesterday I watched the 50th Anniversary Re-Release of the original "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" and damn was it great! Can't believe the film is already 50 years old to start with however there's a reason why it's legendary and why it influenced so many filmmakers and artists. It still shows very well and the audio is amazing. Does anyone know if Tobe Hooper and the film created the group of friends going on a trip, going to a cabin trope for the horror genre? I think it may have been the first but I'm not quite sure.

I also saw "The Witch" which is one of the best and authentic tellings of witchcraft on film. It is hauntingly good and dark. Robert Eggers has made many masterpieces already and can't wait for his version of "Nosferatu"!

[Edited by Hogs-of-War-General]

Hogs-of-War-General

nessisonett

@FuriousMachine The trains are a whole debacle over here, Iโ€™m pretty sure the Brits on this site would all agree! I donโ€™t mind the actual journey, itโ€™s more the price and the unreliability ๐Ÿ˜‚

Plumbingโ€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I was in Bath a while back, and the last train home got cancelled. Had to get a taxi which cost about 70 quid. Has put me off relying on them again for the for foreseeable future.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FuriousMachine

@Pizzamorg That's a sensible approach that will avoid it becoming like a chore, I expect I've done three so far, but there won't be any today and tomorrow's uncertain, but Sunday's looking promising. I plan to check out House of Spoils on Prime Video and It's What's Inside on Netflix next; some fresh releases to counter the two classics from the 60's (classics are fun, but two in the same night made me a little antsy towards the end, so I'll spread them out a bit in the future... still got quite a few borrowed Hammer and Vincent Price DVDs to check out).

@nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder That sounds depressingly familiar. Running a rail service seems to be beyond the abilities of the people who attempt it in this country as well. But, it's a fairly new invention so I guess it takes time to learn how to do it properly. Another 200 years of trial and error might do the trick...

FuriousMachine

LN78

@Malaise Have you read the book? It's actually a little bit incredible just how much got stripped out for the movie. I'm with you though - it's a five star classic.

LN78

Yousef-

Can anyone give me โ€œCrima drama movies you likely havenโ€™t seenโ€ recommendations? Iโ€™m already watching a tv show for Q42024, I might as well sneak in a couple of films. Iโ€™ve paused my niche watchthroughs for a while now and donโ€™t remember what I was on last time. I think I was trying to get through the Taken trilogy?

How to reach me out: ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡
Discord: yousef. (All lowercase with fullstop at the end)

Yousef-

@Malaise โ€œthatโ€™s pot luckโ€?
Thanks for the recs!

Yousef-

@Malaise oh sorry sorry I was just asking what the idiom itself meant ๐Ÿ˜‚ but thx!

Pizzamorg

Forgot to post my horror check in yesterday - but I promise I did watch something! A film called You'll Never Find Me. If you have a very high tolerance for slow burners then maybe give this one a go, it is well made (especially the sound design) and the last 20 minutes felt like they could have made a solid horror short on their own. But overall, I got what it was going for but just don't think it achieved really anything it set out to do. As such, I just found it boring and a waste of time. It is why I just kinda forgot to check in to be honest, cause the moment it was over my brain ejected it from memory to make room for something more interesting.

[Edited by Pizzamorg]

FuriousMachine

@Pizzamorg There is indeed a thin line between slow burn and boring, yes. Too bad that one fell on the wrong side

FuriousMachine

nessisonett

I love the fact that they just didnโ€™t test Joker 2 with audiences at all. Probably why itโ€™s sitting at a D CinemaScore, which is one of the lowest Iโ€™ve seen for a blockbuster. It does also mean that when test audiences were told they were watching an R rated musical, they were actually watching the Robbie Williams biopic where heโ€™s played by a CGI monkey.

Plumbingโ€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

MightyDemon82

Tonight's movies are PREY and Puppet Master: The littlest Reich. Looking forward to finally watching both!

MightyDemon82

Hogs-of-War-General

@MightyDemon82 I have still yet to watch Prey! Puppet Master seems like a fun film to watch, let me know how they are!

Ima watch another horror film today, just don't know which one yet. Have so many to choose from!

Hogs-of-War-General

Ravix

@Malaise that's 2 from my collection that I should probably also watch again. LA, Confidential especially. Although I don't think I've really dipped that much into any of my movie collection recently, which is weird, as most of them are much better than modern releases.

Can't even remember the last time I used a disc drive for media of any kind ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

I suppose you could do a lateral and veer from Kevin Spacey to Guy Pearce and get Memento lined up next.

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
โš”๏ธ๐Ÿ›ก๐ŸŽ

Pizzamorg

Checked out the new science fiction themed VHS they just dropped on Shudder. Kate Siegel's and Jordan Downey's shorts were both great, everything else was pretty skippable, Virat Palโ€™s short especially was pretty awful. Just watch the original or VHS 85, they were so much better.

JohnnyShoulder

@Pizzamorg I've only recently warched the first two VHS films and was surprised how much I enjoyed the first film.

EDIT: Turns out it is only recent ones I've seen, 94 and 99 lol. Need to hunt down the first two films then!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Pizzamorg

@JohnnyShoulder I think most people like the second one the best, I personally didn't care for that one. The two 90s ones (I think it was 94 which was hard carried by short 'The Subject' which seems to be what Stork is trying to do in Beyond to a lesser success, but its still a lot of fun) are when Shudder tried to revive VHS, I think they are both alright, but I thought the best one under Shudder was 85, however, I know some people really don't like that one. I think Beyond is the weakest one since Shudder's revival of the franchise and that does seem to be a fairly consistent note I've seen in the early reviews.

[Edited by Pizzamorg]

Ravix

@Malaise no idea what Tubi is, but go for it haha. I think it was on the BBC recently here, so might be on there which means I could watch it without having to put some weird circular shiny thing in an electric box.

I feel like I'm due a good bit of cinema and a nice glass of hard liquor to sip along with it. It might be breaking into the Tarantino or Coen collection, though, I'll have to see. Sunday is a bit sports crazy, so it might not be then.

I'm actually going to watch the last Rings of Power now, so that is like the antithesis of good cinema, but i can't deny I'm actually quite enjoying it, for what it is ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜… bring on deaged Orlando Bloom or whatever they have planned next ๐Ÿ˜ณ

I'm actually thinking maybe I want to watch The Long Goodbye. I feel like I remember it being pretty darn good, and I imagine it was massively ahead of its time too, based on the trailer I'm watching hahaha. 1973 (wow) starring Eliot Gould. No idea when I last saw it, some late night airing on UK TV once, I guess.

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
โš”๏ธ๐Ÿ›ก๐ŸŽ

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic