Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,341 to 8,358 of 8,358

Malaise

@Pizzamorg With a name like that, I'd be expecting something along the lines of Sweeney Todd. People go for hair trim, get scalped, harvested for body parts, maybe some light cannibalism.

Malaise

Pizzamorg

Malaise wrote:

@Pizzamorg With a name like that, I'd be expecting something along the lines of Sweeney Todd. People go for hair trim, get scalped, harvested for body parts, maybe some light cannibalism.

No clue if its a real thing, but Trim Season here is named after a few weeks in the summer where you treat and trim all the cannabis plants and turn them into buds. How that connects into the wider narrative though in Trim Season is both goofy and kinda laboured. Like they intentionally wanted to make a zag weed based horror movie and then never really gave much thought to how it would actually work.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Malaise

@Pizzamorg It's funny to me that horror movies almost always have the most half assed and paper thin story elements tying whatever type of horror they've gone for together. Definitely the type of film to make for creatives on a budget.

Malaise

Pizzamorg

Malaise wrote:

@Pizzamorg It's funny to me that horror movies almost always have the most half assed and paper thin story elements tying whatever type of horror they've gone for together. Definitely the type of film to make for creatives on a budget.

I love horror, especially indie horror, cause I feel like it's one of the most innovative and inventive spaces for telling stories in any medium. That being said, having a lot of ambition and not a lot of money means a lot of these films miss, but it makes you truly appreciate how talented some of these people are when they are able to realise their ambitions and land the plane.

Malaise

@Pizzamorg Indeed, a lot of directors get their start in horror. Also, let me take this opportunity to offer my appreciation for you posts on your month long quest. I've added a couple to my list. πŸŽ¬πŸ‘

Malaise

JohnnyShoulder

@Malaise Horror films are can be quite cheap to make, and if it hits can make a whole load of money at the box office. For instance, Paranormal Activity initualy only cost $15K to shoot. Then a further $200K when test screenings were so positive and went back and shot a new ending. It grossed Β£194 million at the box office.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ravix

@Ralizah that's really quite interesting. I remember liking the first movie, but it also isn't one that has stuck with me, and I can't really recall that much. Other than it reminded me aa lot of The King of Comedy, which I guess I probably preferred? πŸ€”πŸ˜…

Untitled

In fact, add it to the docket, that's a movie that barely gets played or streamed anywhere that needs a rewatch.

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

Pizzamorg

Malaise wrote:

@Pizzamorg Indeed, a lot of directors get their start in horror. Also, let me take this opportunity to offer my appreciation for you posts on your month long quest. I've added a couple to my list. πŸŽ¬πŸ‘

Let me know what you end up checking out and if you enjoy them!

CthulhuFhtagn

Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa (Inglourious Basterds) is one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen. I don't like that movie though.

CthulhuFhtagn

Ravix

@Yousef- I think I remember loving it. It's obviously stuck in my mind. Definitely one to watch for anyone who hasn't seen it. Does it qualify as a lesser known Scorsese? Or is that reserved for something like Bringing Out the Dead, which I also remember really liking and that is also quite a bit different from other movies πŸ˜…

Untitled

Untitled

I really should watch some more good and weird movies this winter.

[Edited by Ravix]

βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

Ralizah

@Yousef- Ah.

Yeah, I do think the Joker works better as a mostly unexplainable force of chaos in the world. There's no real reasoning with or understanding him, and that makes him terrifying.

I do enjoy his very... intimate dynamic with Batman. Particular in The Dark Knight Returns, which paints his relationship as one that's paralyzingly codependent (which seems to have largely influenced subsequent depictions of the character, and gives his rivalry with Batman a peculiar energy you don't see with other hero/villain relationships).

In the case of Joker, it's not even trying to be a take on a classic character, really. It's an attempt at a Scorcese-esque social drama that leans on associations with an IP to drive interest in the film's pathetic little protagonist. If anything, the sequel actually feels a bit more like it's trying to do new things with established characters. Phoenix isn't an amazing take on the Joker, IMO, despite his strong performance, but Lady Gaga's take on Harley Quinn is actually pretty subversive and interesting when you know the rough history of the character's depictions in media.

@Ravix Yeah, first movie was popular. I... had very mixed feelings on it. And this one, too, actually, although I think this is a much braver and more morally coherent film overall.

I've never seen The King of Comedy, actually! It's one I need to add to my list.

[Edited by Ralizah]

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio demo (PC)

Ugh. Men.

PSN: Ralizah

Ravix

@Ralizah you most definitely do. I think it must have inspired a lot of it, or they just ripped stuff straight from it knowing modern DC era Joker will get everyone watching it and barely anyone watching Joker will remember or have seen The King of Comedy. Okay im not being "so serious" (wrong Joker, woops πŸ˜›) but going off very busted memories I definitely thought it reminded me of it, a LOT. But a quick Google and there's definitely plenty of similarities that people have also noticed πŸ˜…

@yousef-

Right? I mean, it has to be law that everyone likes Nicolas Cage. I could watch him in (and probably have) literally anything. Even if it's garbage it's watchable with him in it. And he's been in some low key all time classics as well, and hidden gems aplenty

Top 5 Nic Cages? Films or characters, I supose. Whichever is easiest. I'd probably find it hard to make a list, but i'll just say everyone should watch Raising Arizona right now, as that is definitely one of my top Cage films. But there's going to be quite a few to choose from πŸ˜…

[Edited by Ravix]

βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

Yousef-

@Ravix waoh, you didn’t capitalize the Y, yet it still pinged.

Yes liking nic is required by law.

Hmmmm top 5 probably vampire kiss, ghost rider, bringing out the dead, face off and… it could happen to you!

CLICK FOR PUSH SQUARE CLUB TITLE LIST VOTES, JOIN US!
We are playing πŸŽƒπŸ‘»Little Hope and Little Nightmares 2πŸ‘»πŸŽƒ

JohnnyShoulder

@Yousef- We need to know the rules of ping!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

MightyDemon82

@Hogs-of-War-General PREY is well worth a watch, I would love more movies where they drop into different time periods to go hunting!

Just finished watching Puppet Master: The littlest Reich. My wife and I had a good laugh, watching that one. Some inventive gory kills. Just love the fact that people, aren't too messed up, about the fact marionettes are going around butchering folks 🀣.

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

Watched It's What's Inside on Netflix. It was sold me as a horror movie, but that is stretching the definition a bit, in my opinion. Still, despite being a bit slow at times, it was a fairly entertaining body-swap... comedy?

@MightyDemon82 Dan Trachtenberg is working on a sequel to "PREY", but details are a bit confusing. It's been said that it would take place in a different time period, but Amber Midthunder is also rumoured to return, so I'm not sure what's up with it at this point. I only know that I'm there for either one

FuriousMachine

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic