Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,361 to 8,380 of 8,436

LN78

Got Arrow Video's lovely new "Exorcist 2:The Heretic" set (goodbye and good riddance WB DVD snapcase!) that contains both extant versions of the movie (release cut and shorter international edit - both borderline unintelligible) as well as a full range of extra features. Its reception at the time of release was sort of akin to what's happening at the moment with "Joker 2" in that the most commonly asked question of director John Boorman (genius/crazy person) was "are you actually taking the p*ss?"

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

Hogs-of-War-General

@RR529 You definitely picked up some classics!

I picked up The Goonies, Jurassic Park, Poltergeist, and Blade Runner 2049 all in 4K.

@LN78 How is Exorcist 2? I have never seen it but definitely want to watch it.

Hogs-of-War-General

Pizzamorg

Finally got around to seeing one of the most hyped horror movies this year I saw the TV Glow.

Whispers...

I didn't like it.

-Runs away-

😂

Like I get the message here. If this movie spoke to you. Allowed you to realise something in your life. Gave you the courage or power to face something you've been otherwise scared to face, then I love that for you.

But this movie was...

kinda ass.

(ngl.)

Life to the living, death to the dead.

sorteddan

@Pizzamorg
I thought it was a bit meh when I saw it. I thought the directors other movie 'We're all going to the world's fair" was much worse and just really dull. I don't think I'll watch their next one.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Hogs-of-War-General

@LN78 Oh so it's that kind of movie haha? Those can be pretty enjoyable and definitely has a place for viewing!

@Pizzamorg It's not a horror film and people need to stop calling it that. But completely agree with you because the film is garbage. Has a lot of moments and story beats throughout the film with plenty of potential to be great however it usually ends of up flat. The ending is also very anti-climatic which is the worst.

Not sure why it's getting all the praise, only noteworthy thing was the soundtrack.

Hogs-of-War-General

Pizzamorg

sorteddan wrote:

@Pizzamorg
I thought it was a bit meh when I saw it. I thought the directors other movie 'We're all going to the world's fair" was much worse and just really dull. I don't think I'll watch their next one.

Oh yeah, Worlds Fair was awful lol TV Glow had much of the same problems, but was still technically an improvement... I guess 😂

Hogs-of-War-General wrote:

@LN78 Oh so it's that kind of movie haha? Those can be pretty enjoyable and definitely has a place for viewing!
@Pizzamorg It's not a horror film and people need to stop calling it that. But completely agree with you because the film is garbage. Has a lot of moments and story beats throughout the film with plenty of potential to be great however it usually ends of up flat. The ending is also very anti-climatic which is the worst.

Not sure why it's getting all the praise, only noteworthy thing was the soundtrack.

Actually have the soundtrack on right now while I am doing a little gaming. One thing I will take away from this 😂

LN78

@Hogs-of-War-General Coincidentally, the score for "Exorcist 2" by Ennio Morricone is the best thing about the movie - if you discount Linda Blair's tap dancing.

LN78

Hogs-of-War-General

@LN78 Ooohhh Ennio Morricone composed the score?! Definitely need to watch it now!

Hogs-of-War-General

sorteddan

I watched Hell House LLC, a found footage horror about some people setting up a haunted house experience in an actually haunted hotel. A bit cack and low budget but I really enjoyed it.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Hogs-of-War-General

@LN78 I'm not opposed to DVDs! I have actually been growing my collection the past few months and it's almost more than doubled. Lots of horror and 90s films

@sorteddan Hell House LLC seems like a good watch, will have to add to my watchlist!

Hogs-of-War-General

LN78

@Hogs-of-War-General I've still got a few myself - just stuff that's preclusively expensive or unavailable on blu-ray or 4K. "Exorcist 2" actually represented the last disc I had in the godawful WB cardboard snapcases. They will not be missed.

LN78

Hogs-of-War-General

@LN78 I can't stand those damn cardboard snapcases. Don't know what the hell they were thinking!

Watched Resident Evil: Afterlife in 4K and damn it's a good movie with such an incredible intro along with great pacing and locations.

Hogs-of-War-General

FuriousMachine

Just came back from a screening of Lee, a rather unremarkable film about a remarkable woman. The film was by no means bad and if the subject matter is of interest, I absolutely recommend giving it a look. It boasts a fantastic performance by Kate Winslet, along with a surprisingly understated dramatic turn by Andy Samberg (which was a bit jarring at first, knowing what a lovable goofball the guy is), but outside of that, the movie felt a tiny bit workmanlike. That being said, when it mattered, the movie managed to deliver a solid gut punch and that sequence haunted me all the way home. Having seen similar portrayals of the horrors of Nazi Germany many times before, I am very happy that it still affects me deeply. Not something one wants to be desensitized to.

The screening itself turned out to be a bit special, too. As it is World Mental Health day, they had a retired Norwegian war correspondent give a fifteen minute intro about Norwegian war photographers, including one he worked closely with in Gaza in 2012, and touched on how a job like that affects you. I'm very happy I lucked into this particular screening, as I had no idea that they were going to do this.

[Edited by FuriousMachine]

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine Sounds like a great screening. You had the same reaction as myself, seeing Andy Samberg in the movie. Him and Winslet I thought were both great.

I probably wouldn't have watched it, but my dad is interested in all aspects of WWII. He would never accompany me to a film of my choosing. War, westerns and Bond films are our cinema days out.

[Edited by MightyDemon82]

MightyDemon82

Hogs-of-War-General

@FuriousMachine Just based on the trailer and her character it seems very unremarkable.

Definitely looking forward to Eggers take on Nosferatu, who else is excited for it?

Hogs-of-War-General

Pizzamorg

Watched a good one today, a movie from Argentina called When Evil Lurks. Don't remember the last time a film was so grim it made me involuntary gag, well this managed it from me a few times. Taking me back to watching horror when I was a kid and not as desensitised as I am today. Didn't think these films could still get me. Not for the faint of heart both in terms of its gore, but its also unrelentingly pessimistic. Everyone loses, every plan fails, every decision is wrong. It is a brutal rollercoaster.

JohnnyShoulder

@Hogs-of-War-General Yeah I am very much looking forward to watching Nosferatu, as I've enjoyed all of Eggers previous films.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic