Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,381 to 8,400 of 8,435

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 War movies, westerns and Bond. That is like prototype dad right there, in all the best ways

@Hogs-of-War-General Make no mistake, her character is anything but unremarkable, quite the opposite. And Winslet portrays her fantastically well. It's the surrounding movie that falls a bit short. I think one of the problems is that the recent Civil War examined similar themes far more effectively and this movie didn't quite hit the emotional punches that "Civil War" did.

Nosferatu is high on my list, just annoyed that it doesn't drop over here until January.

@Pizzamorg This has been on my radar, so I'll definitely pull the trigger on that one soon. Will also try to track down Exhuma and Incantation, too

FuriousMachine

Pizzamorg

@FuriousMachine if you are down to stream, both Exhuma and When Evil Lurks are on Shudder. I tend to renew Shudder every Halloween as a lot of what I end up watching each year end up being their originals.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

FuriousMachine

@Pizzamorg If only Shudder were available outside the US (well, can't say for sure that it isn't, but it certainly isn't available here... all we get is a blank white page with a small text upper left saying "Sorry, we are not available in your country")

FuriousMachine

Pizzamorg

Am I allowed for hint at a VPN @FuriousMachine or is that against the rules? 🤣 It's available in the UK which is where I am from so I apologise I didn't realise it wasnt everywhere. ☹️

FuriousMachine

@Pizzamorg VPN is a bit of a gray area, though I don't mind it if I can get a valid subscription and pay for it legally. Though, more often than not, that requires a credit card issued in another country and thus becomes more trouble than it's worth.

EDIT: Though, luckily, only Exhuma is unavailable here, so I'll get to watch the other two

[Edited by FuriousMachine]

FuriousMachine

Hogs-of-War-General

@JohnnyShoulder He's becoming one of my favorite newer directors. His stuff is always very dark, gritty, gruesome, and can be terrifying as well. Definitely looking forward to all his films.

@Pizzamorg When Evil Lurks has been on my radar for awhile, glad to hear it's disgusting and gory!

Hogs-of-War-General

JohnnyShoulder

@Hogs-of-War-General Yeah same. Looking forward to his take on this, although i've not seen the orginal film. The most i know of the character is it appeared in a old James Herbert book I've read a few times.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FuriousMachine

@JohnnyShoulder I would absolutely recommend checking out the original silent film by F.W. Murnau, it is a fantastic piece of cinema history and is available for free on YouTube (Link to Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror).
Then you should check out Shadow of the Vampire which is a fictionalised dramatisation of the making of the movie where Murnau (played by John Malkovitch) struggles with his unruly lead actor, Max Schreck (played by Willem Dafoe) and his proclivities. That's what you get for hiring a real vampire to star in your movie Great fun movie!

I haven't seen Werner Herzog's version of Nosferatu, but I hear it is very good. I will definitely track it down before Eggers' version drops.

FuriousMachine

Hogs-of-War-General

@FuriousMachine The original is a classic and I remember watching that back in film school a long time ago! Shadow of the Vampire is pretty good, I mean it has John Malkovitch and Willem Dafoe! Never seen Herzog's but I'm sure it's good too.

@JohnnyShoulder Just watch all of them! That's what I'm going to do in the next few weeks

Hogs-of-War-General

Pizzamorg

Finally got around to watching Long Legs.

I'm sorry I...

didn't like it.

L4GANN

Last week I saw Deadpool and Wolverine. Had been nice but I dont know if a I could tollerate another movie like that... I think that part of my entusiasm has been turned off when I did read that DaW have been descrived like "Buddy movie" and actually this is a little pathetic.
I dont know... I'm slitted, in one side I loved but... actually Deadpool 2 was much better.

L4GANN

LtSarge

I noticed today that Prime Video has added the James Bond movies again after they removed them last year I believe. So I decided to take the opportunity and watch some while they're still available.

I just finished watching On Her Majesty's Secret Service with George Lazenby. Pretty good movie overall. The plot wasn't memorable but the Alps setting was, which I really liked. Also, George Lazenby did a great job portraying James Bond. He was very similar to Sean Connery and if I hadn't known the name, I probably would've thought it was him lol.

Looking forward to watching Diamonds Are Forever next.

LtSarge

Pizzamorg

Today's movie was Viking Wolf. If you are lukewarm on werewolves or just don't care, there ain't much for you here but if you are a werewolf fan, I thought this was actually better than it had any right to be. The werewolf is very much just a wolf, rather than a big man wolf thing, but the CG they use to capture the wolf is surprisingly solid, and allows them to do things you can't do with a rubber suit (like there is so much emotion the werewolf is able to convey with facial expressions for example). I liked it.

Gremio108

I watched The Founder last night, for no other reason than it's about to leave Prime. I'm a big fan of Keaton (not to mention Offerman) so I was always going to enjoy it.

I don't want to go into spoiler territory but it was interesting to watch what initially felt like a typical feel good story, where you think you're supposed to be rooting for the regular Joe, only to start wondering whether he's all that great.

Worth pointing out I had no idea about the true story before I watched.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

Back from an advance screening of Anora, which was I think also being shown at the same time at the festival so it’s sort of a simulcast situation. One hell of a good movie, possibly the best I’ve seen all year. Fully expect nominations come award season.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Nei

To anyone looking for a small, endearing movie, I recommend "the ties that bind us" (l'attachement) with Valeria Bruni Tedeschi and Pio Marmäi: it's about human affection that isn't necessarily love in, or at least what we expect love to be - I found it refreshingly realistic and insightful. Definitely a conversation starter.

@nessisonett yeah, it's truly great, one of my favorite of this season with The Brutalist.

[Edited by Nei]

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Ravix

Ahh, watched the Fargo blu ray tonight, an all time favourite of many, many Coen Brothers' movies. And on a whim I've decided maybe I should embrace physical media again and get a small, select blu ray steelbook collection going.

Any recommendations of some nice special editions, steelbooks of some worthy movies? Or just some top quality 4K stuff.

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

nessisonett

@Nei Haven’t seen The Brutalist, not sure my bladder could take that length of movie! I still have horrible flashbacks to Interstellar 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Nei

@nessisonett Hahahah, but did Anne Hathaway overact your need to reach for the toilet in your mind?
Anyway, you are in luck as there's an interesting diegetic intermission wanted by director Brady Corbet. There is an interval halfway through the film, which is integrated into the film so it doesn’t interrupt the screening: for fifteen minutes, there is a countdown indicating the start of the second act, along with background music.

[Edited by Nei]

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

JohnnyShoulder

@Ravix Step into my office! 😂

Amazon currently have a 2 for £30 for 4K Blu Rays in the UK. Think I'm going to gor for Event Horizon and Deepwater Horizon.

As for reccomendations, here you go!

Alien
Black Hawk Down
The Thing
The Fugitive
District 9
Predator
Stand By Me
Universal Soldier
The Untouchables

As for steelbooks, I aint got any 4K's as yet but I've got my eye on Trainspotting, The Lord of The Rings Trilogy, Enter the Dragon and The Hurt Locker.

[Edited by JohnnyShoulder]

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic