Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 2,214

AgentCooper

@nessisonett That sucks buddy, a cd Walkman would be a great replacement. I was still using one until 2010 alongside a really rather fantastic minidisc player, fond memories of both and surprisingly robust, alas I succumbed to the lure of streaming. I still think about buying another minidisc.

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

PSN: Bundersvessel

nessisonett

@AgentCooper It’s when I start to think about it, that I realise how useful things like minidiscs and tapes still are. Even now, streaming is a mess of subscriptions and such. You really needed to have scanned all your CDs into iTunes in about 2007 because my laptop doesn’t have a disc drive so I can’t even just download hard copies onto my phone that way. If you want to listen to an owned copy of an album on the go then I guess you either pay iTunes prices or you get a Walkman.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett I buy all my music but digitally and as much as possible through bandcamp as, I believe, that is the maximal way for artists to get the money, particularly on the infrequent "bandcamp Fridays" where the site waives any take.

I gave up buying CDs as I realised I literally bought them, got them onto iTunes, and then shelved the CD. I buy a couple of vinyl records a year for albums I have already got digitally but have really enjoyed so that I still have some physical media and vinyl is clearly the coolest way to own it too

I have my music on my phone with two playlists. One of new stuff with eight albums on and a one-in, one-out system when I get something new. A second playlist of albums that I change every other week where I go through iTunes alphabetically and choose albums I haven't listened to in the last 12 months and only one album by an artist.

It's been a cool way of revisiting albums I haven't listened to in ages while also enjoying new stuff too.

I'm up to 35 albums/EPs from this year so far!

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Yeah, I’ve got a fair amount of records too but they never did make that Vinylman 😉

I think I might actually own some albums through Bandcamp over the years, partly buying them digitally to support the artists and then some albums that I bought physically through there which gave free digital copies!

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Depends what you mean by that! Always been one of my least favourite rappers of the East Coast bunch from that period but he’s a good producer. Not a big fan of him cheating on Beyonce though 😂

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@nessisonett Who is your favourite East Coast rapper then? I personally love Wu Tang and their various associated works such as the Only Built 4 Cuban Linx albums.

"I cherish my thoughts and hold 'em exclusive, Confucius." - Ransom

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Such a hard one, there’s so many to choose from. Nas and all of the Wu-Tang Clan including their solo stuff are fantastic, it’s got to be MF DOOM though, he was technically born in London but moved to New York young enough to absolutely be part of that scene.

KAIRU

I’ve just seen that SiM has a new album releasing at the end of the months. They’ve released a few of the songs as singles and they absolutely slap!

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Haven’t listened to it yet! Time and mood have not yet aligned 😬

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@nessisonett Some good choices there man, and sorry about the late reply, I love MM FOOD by MF DOOM, anagram of his name obviously, haha!. Anyway, going back to what we were saying before about Jay Z, don't you rank any of his best albums as at least reasonably good? i.e Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, The Black Album and 4:44. Those are my favourites by him and ,arguably, all classics. I highly recommend listening to at least Reasonable Doubt, if you haven't heard it already, and getting back to me. It may change your mind.

Edited on by BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint are probably his best but I just don’t really go out my way to listen to him I guess. Same as Kanye, never been a fan outside of a few tracks.

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

@nessisonett That's fair enough man. Where do you stand on cinematic soul, if you're familiar with the genre? If you're not here's something to give you an idea of what it sounds like.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Not really something I’m that familiar with! I guess maybe people like Isaac Hayes would count as that sort of soul? I wasn’t that big on Hot Buttered Soul but the Shaft soundtrack’s iconic for a reason. In terms of soul, I do like the Philly style, like Tower of Power and stuff.

Kidfried

I can recommend Gabriels and SAULT, if we're talking about soul with a cinematic angle. Both have been making amazing music these past few years.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Michael Kiwanuka does similar but with a rockier angle and he’s been solid for years now. Great live too.

AgentCooper

@TheBrandedSwordsman Oh man, I love some Surprise Chef! Finally seen them live this year and they didn’t disappoint. Have you heard of Mildlife? @nessisonett @Kidfried I can also second those recommendations, Sault in particular. Pretty much where my ear has been for the last couple of years.

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

PSN: Bundersvessel

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic