Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 4,121 to 4,140 of 4,165

PegasusActual93

@LtSarge
First episode of Penguin felt like a modern day Sopranos which I am all for.

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

JohnnyShoulder

@BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN Highly reccomended from what I've seen so far. There is a british actor that voices one of the characters, and I would have never guessed it was him. Hope you enjoy it also!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

@PegasusActual93 I haven't watched Sopranos yet, but if that show is like The Penguin, then I'm even more interested in watching it now.

LtSarge

zupertramp

@PegasusActual93 this was kinda my fear. was wondering what they could possibly do in mob boss territory that wasn't covered in sopranos. But idk, maybe I'll get around to watching one day.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

PegasusActual93

@zupertramp
It's similar in tone to the Sopranos but judging by the first episode the story is going in a very very different direction to that of Sopranos so I would recommend just giving it a shot and coming to your own conclusion.

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

JohnnyShoulder

I've just seen that Scavengers Reign is on Netflix here in the UK, and is a Max Original. Which is strange cos I thought Sky had rights to their shows here. I only noticed as someone on one of the podcasts i watch keeps on mentioning it and has been waxing lyrical about it. Suffice to say I've added it to my watchlist.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

The missus and I finished Dark Matter and Happy Valley - season 3 over the weekend and both were very good fair play.

We did try and get into Dark Matter back when it first released a few months back but found the first couple of episodes a slog and gave up. Glad we gave it another go though, as it quickly got interesting from around the 3rd episode mark and by the end was mind-bendingly crazy, as any multiverse-spanning saga should be. While it does try to stick as close to quantum law as possible, there were moments where I questioned certain plot points and devices but on the whole was a thought-provoking and entertaining show.

The final season of Happy Valley, as was the case with the previous two was great. We’ve watched all three seasons over the course of 2024 and can’t believe we missed it until now. Sarah Lancashire is incredible as the lead and there are some great performances from her co-stars. Great writing too, that includes both season-long arcs, as well as an arc that encapsulates all three seasons.

[Edited by colonelkilgore]

**** DLC!

nessisonett

Nightsleeper on BBC One is absolutely terrible but totally watchable. I roll my eyes every 5 seconds but it’s also strangely compelling. Looks brilliant in 4K HDR too on iPlayer considering most shows look a bit rubbish on that app.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

Finished watching Tokyo Vice season 2 on Max. Absolutely fantastic show! Highly recommend it if you want to watch a show about the yakuza.

LtSarge

zupertramp

@colonelkilgore concerning Dark Matter, don't want to be that guy but you might try reading the book if you enjoyed the series. I also found the first episode a slog and (temporarily) gave up. They seem to start the series with a different approach than the book that I thought gave a great deal away without making it any more interesting. And I just don't recall finding the book at all boring. Anyway I'll eventually get back to it but thought I'd mention the book is pretty good if you're at all interested.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

colonelkilgore

@zupertramp I have heard that the book is very good… but as I say, I ended up really enjoying the show after returning to it anyway. I used to love a good book but I honestly can’t find the time for it anymore… any spare moment, that I ain’t spending with the missus, working or chores is dedicated to chipping away at the backlog

**** DLC!

zupertramp

@colonelkilgore I totally get that. I used to read constantly but most of my ever shrinking down time gets devoted to tv or films these days. And occasionally my PlayStation actually gets turned on. Although sometimes even that feels too much like work.

FuriousMachine

@zupertramp @colonelkilgore I concur on the book being very good! Anyone who glances in on the book thread here will know that I champion Blake Crouch's novels quite hard

FuriousMachine

zupertramp

@FuriousMachine yeah at the time time I probably should have realized Wayward Pines was originally a book but I thought the series was so fantastic (the first season anyway) and was kinda bummed that I didn't get a chance to read what is likely an even better book series first. I do love a good series.

Those are about the only two I'm familiar with though.

FuriousMachine

@zupertramp The Wayward Pines trilogy was my first encounter with Crouch and I was hooked. Unfortunately, the TV series attempted to cram the entire trilogy into one season and suffered for it, especially when it came time to do a second season. Even though you've been "spoiled" by the TV series in terms of all the reveals, the books are still a good read, I would think. I can also recommend "Recursion" by Crouch, also one of my favourites.

FuriousMachine

nessisonett

@LtSarge I like the idea of Tokyo Vice but I try to avoid Ansel Elgort given the screenshots of him attempting to solicit a 15 year old girl.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

Watched the first couple of episodes of Mr McMahon last night and as expected, very good so far. Wanted to carry on as the next episode is about the Monday night wars but it was already 2am.

[Edited by colonelkilgore]

**** DLC!

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

Finished the first disc of The Boondocks Amazing, cerebral, thought-provoking and hilarious stuff!

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@Yousef- I have all 55 episodes on dvd, it's a few episodes per disc, working my way through from the beginning to the end. 😃

[Edited by BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN]

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic