Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 4,141 to 4,160 of 4,161

zupertramp

@FuriousMachine thanks for the recommendation. next time i'm in a bookstore i'll look for it.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

MightyDemon82

What are some of your favourite sc-fi shows? My all time favourite is Farscape with the Battlestar Galactica remake a close second.

We don't really get shows like that nowadays.

[Edited by MightyDemon82]

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 Yeah, absolutely BSG and Farscape for me, and I would add The Expanse to that list, as well... which of them comes out on top pretty much depends on the day you ask me, as I change my mind about that all the time

Of the three, Farscape stands out, though. Colorful and really like nothing else I've seen before or since. I don't think I'd want a reboot/revival, but I would really love to see someone make something similar.

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine I wouldn't mind watching The Expanse, but I think I'd prefer to read the books first. I almost bought the new series in Waterstones the other day, The Mercy of God's. Lovely hardcover. But I left empty handed which Is some kind of miracle!

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 What?! How on earth did that happen? To be fair, same thing happened to me when I was at Waterstones in Edinburgh, but that was only because they were completely sold out

The Expanse books are great and I would definitely recommend reading first, for sure. The books and the series diverge slightly and the series were cut short, kind of. It has a satisfactory ending and the books have a solid time jump around that point, so an argument can be made that the series haven't really ended but are merely waiting for the actors to age into their characters for the final chapters... that's what I'm telling myself in my bouts of denial, anyway

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

@colonelkilgore That's one I missed out on and haven't gotten around to watching since. I should really do something about that...

FuriousMachine

colonelkilgore

@FuriousMachine you could probably get the whole series and the movie done in one weekend tbh which is nice. The only thing to be aware of is the Whedon-isms, which were obviously all the rage back when it originally aired… they do age it a little now though. Regardless of that though, the lore, characters and narrative-arc are all top tier.

**** DLC!

MightyDemon82

@colonelkilgore I loved Firefly & Serenity. I was a big Whedon fan back in the day, I wonder if he will ever work again?

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@colonelkilgore While I now have come to loathe the man, I do still love his work. Buffy & Angel hold a special place in my heart and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is a lot of fun. Cabin in the Woods is one of my favourite horror films, and while it is Drew Goddard's film, Whedon's fingerprints are all over it and the pairing is sublime.
@MightyDemon82 He seems completely without remorse and doesn't even seem to acknowledge that his behaviour was problematic, so he's not doing himself any favours. I'm all for second chances, but...

FuriousMachine

colonelkilgore

@MightyDemon82 I doubt it but you never know. In all honesty, he seemed to lose his touch a bit post Avengers. Maybe with some time away that may/hopefully involve some introspection/retrospection, a more mature Whedon could possibly return.

@FuriousMachine yeah I’m a big fan of his work too tbh… ego is such a difficult thing to manage through unbridled success. Not excusing anything he or anyone else has done… but from the amount of power-dynamic abuse cases that we know of (and ones that we do not), it’s a very interesting and disturbing topic for discussion.

[Edited by colonelkilgore]

**** DLC!

FuriousMachine

@colonelkilgore Absolutely, and I would love nothing more if he'd return to work a better person that can treat other people as human beings, as I feel I do miss his voice.

FuriousMachine

colonelkilgore

@MightyDemon82 @FuriousMachine knew I was forgetting something, it does divide opinion somewhat but the missus and I have enjoyed the two seasons available of Foundation on Apple+ if you haven’t seen it and are still after some space opera.

**** DLC!

MightyDemon82

@colonelkilgore I have watched the first series, need to sub to Apple again sometime to watch season 2 and more of their shows. My sisters all rave about Slow Horses!

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@colonelkilgore @MightyDemon82 I've also only seen the first season, but I really loved it and if it maintains that level of quality it will most likely join the others mentioned at the top of my list of sci-fi shows.
I need to get started on "Slow Horses" as well; I believe it will be right up my alley.

I hate Apple as a company, but their output on the streaming front is so in line with my tastes that I hold my nose and pay the monthly sub. This also applies to Amazon and Disney, but not to the same extent (in either way: Don't hate the companies quite as much, but they don't put out the same amount of quality shows as Apple either). Due to higher cost of living, I will be cancelling many streaming services and subscribe only for a period at a time, but Apple TV+ will be the last to go in this house.

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

Finished season 1 of Reservation Dogs last night and my what a strong series that was, particularly in the back half of the season. Funny, charming, heartfelt and at times emotional, it has some truly brilliant characters that's been a pure joy to follow. Will definitely continue with the other two seasons after I've checked out some other shows that's passed me by.

FuriousMachine

Yousef-

Popping in here for a sec to say I’ve added True Detective to my 2024 Q4 binge list. It’s a truly solid detective show. (Well to be honest I dunno what you’d expect based on the title, a cooking show?)

CLICK FOR PUSH SQUARE CLUB TITLE LIST VOTES, JOIN US!
We are playing 🎃👻Little Hope and Little Nightmares 2👻🎃

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic