Forums

Topic: Honkai Star Rail

Posts 521 to 540 of 565

Shigurui

Pizzamorg wrote:

I have two healers, their kits seem absolutely identical, except one does quantum and one does physical damage, I googled it and they told me the quantum one is better so that is who I am using but the game doesn't give me any information to make this decision myself.

I'm going to assume these two are Lynx and Natasha. The game gives you all their kit info in their trace descriptions. Natasha's skill is a heal and debuff cleanse for a single ally, her ultimate is a team wide heal. Lynx's skill is also a single ally heal but if you put that skill onto a destruction or preservation ally it will draw aggro onto that unit to tank hits for the team. Her ultimate is a team wide heal and also a team wide debuff cleanse. Their kits are not identical.

All the information you need for every character is right there in their trace descriptions.

Honkai Star Rail UID: 714980866 (EU Server)

Pizzamorg

Shigurui wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

I have two healers, their kits seem absolutely identical, except one does quantum and one does physical damage, I googled it and they told me the quantum one is better so that is who I am using but the game doesn't give me any information to make this decision myself.

I'm going to assume these two are Lynx and Natasha. The game gives you all their kit info in their trace descriptions. Natasha's skill is a heal and debuff cleanse for a single ally, her ultimate is a team wide heal. Lynx's skill is also a single ally heal but if you put that skill onto a destruction or preservation ally it will draw aggro onto that unit to tank hits for the team. Her ultimate is a team wide heal and also a team wide debuff cleanse. Their kits are not identical.

All the information you need for every character is right there in their trace descriptions.

Yeah I think that is right. Think I got Lynx from a pull and then Natasha from the story. And surely you can see how similar those two kits are? This isn't like Overwatch where the two healers have fundamentally different playstyles.

This is the problem though, simply reading the descriptions, versus actually seeing it in action and being put into practice though just isn't the same. ZZZ gives you proper character demos, it shows you combos, how different parts of the kit flow into each other, the overall purpose of a characters kit etc to give you a great foundation to know you're using them in the right way and that is just sorely missed here for me.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Shigurui

@Pizzamorg - I get what you're saying with how ZZZ approaches things by showing but HSR simply doesn't have that and that's been the same for everybody. We all learned by doing things ourselves, reading kit descriptions and just sussing stuff out. Go into the Simulated Universe in Herta's office and play through the very first word with different team comps and just see what works by trial and error.

If you absolutely have to be shown then look up YT channels like Sevy Plays or Braxophone. They have videos of every character with kit breakdowns, best gear, suggested team comps etc. Good luck dude, hope it all clicks for you!

themightyant

@Pizzamorg I can certainly see how their kits seem very similar, especially in the early game, but you will have to trust us that as you go on each character has enough differences to fit into some teams, or situations, better than others.

Hell at the start of the game I was thrilled that I got Bailu as my first 5-star as she was (in terms of healing alone) the best healer in the game at the time. But as time has gone on she is not so useful as she doesn’t cleanse/remove debuffs which even 4-star healers like Lynx and Natasha do. Still there is a time and a place for her.

But if you want to pick one healer Lynx is typically more versatile in more teams, but it depends who you play.

themightyant

Pizzamorg

To make it clear too, I'm not disliking this game overall. I remain astounded at the kind of content Hoyo delivers for free, how it doesn't push it's monetisation really at you at all, I really like the story, tone and characters.

I also now have three classes for the protagonist and I think that's a really cool thing to introduce. I went in blind so when this moment happened I didn't know it was coming and it was pure hype!

I also got my first five star in Clara. It does feel a bit like the "when they're a boss versus when they're in your party" meme, but they're okay. Im using Lynx to draw agro towards her while she deals pretty solid damage with the counters.

Current main team is Clara (for now, when I unlock someone new again she'll probably be the first to go), Sampo (he was one of the ones I was talking about earlier. Why would I use Dan and his single targets, when Sampo can apply wind shear to everyone bypassing their shields and dealing mountains of passive damage never needing to care about type advantage or breaks? Maybe it falls off later on, but right now he's so objectively better that Dan seems useless unless there is some secret to his kit I'm missing?), Lynx and Preservation mode protag.

themightyant

Currently undecided whether to go for Jiaoqiu. I want him for my Acheron team, but the only EHR light cone I have is “Eyes of the Prey” and it’s on Silver Wolf.

Annoyed once again that there was no opportunity to get the Event Exclusive “Before the Tutorial Mission Starts” lightcone that was only available before the game came to PS5.

Might still go for him and will just have to grind relic substats, but not sure, more interested in Adventurine rerun and Acheron’s LC and maybe Feixiao if she is as strong as in the story/lore.

Maybe I’ll see if I can win the 50/50 I’m only a few wishes away…

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

Pizzamorg

In my time playing there's been three banner rotations, the first came and went within my first few days so I didn't pull that one at all. Think it was some lady in a hat with a whip? As a new player her mechanics were extremely overwhelming with her like assigning a debt collector or something so I left it alone.

Yunli and Huohuo have been my main banners since I've been playing. I didn't know what I was doing / what I needed so I didnt plan or focus my pulls and just pulled at whatever the game gave me from there.

I ended up with Yunli after basically hitting the soft pity cap, and I also got Clara and Bronya from the standard banner.

Clara and Yunli have basically been my pillars since I got them. Even without her LC, Clara is just a very tanky unit and none of my other characters can put out damage like Yunli can with her counter.

Bronya I've had a harder time finding a use for as I just don't have a lot of the pieces she goes with, when I looked online for inspiration as to what to do with her.

I also did end up focusing my pulls into Huohuo as my lack of depth at healer is a real problem for some of those multi team activities, but I didn't get her before the banner rolled over.

I did however get Sparkle like 15 pulls later and she's incredible, so I must have been pretty darn close on the pity cap on Huohuo and ran out of time.

Right now probably my second strongest team is a dot / debuff team centred around Sampo and Pela, Jiaoqiu compliments that team well, so may focus my pulls into him going towards.

[Edited by Pizzamorg]

themightyant

@Pizzamorg nice! It’s always interesting hearing about different players team setups, especially those that joined the game later. Best of luck getting Jiaoqiu.

themightyant

Pizzamorg

Jury is definitely still out for me @themightyant on the whole gacha thing. I have certainly felt the strain of the gacha model on HSR harder than I have on ZZZ. While finding team comps that work without the missing pillar pieces can be fun, and characters like Yunli and Sparkle are a blessing that sorta let me brute force a lot of things, I do kinda wish there was a way I could access some pillar characters no longer in rotation even if I had to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate how problematic that is since it risks making things pay to win etc. But there is little feeling worse than waiting a week to finally pull a new character, and then realise the character is borderline unusable cause it also requires three other premium characters to make them work at their fullest.

It also took me probably around 60 hours before I could even really make two teams with different functions and even now, one is very clearly weaker than the other. So having like I dunno, a dot starter pack or something with one S and three fours or something would just be nice to help a player who joined late catch up with everyone else.

And I know everyone is going to have a different experience of this depending on how lucky they are with things, but things have been kinda rough out there for me with HSR at times in terms of long droughts before getting a new character I can really make proper use of.

Shigurui

@themightyant - I got Jiaoqiu by accident. Was on 20 pity and dropped a 10 pull for a Guinaifen dupe and got her, and him. I don't think he's as good as Ruan Mei on my DoT team and he doesn't do a great deal for a E2 S1 Acheron, he does make my OP Acheron slightly more broken I guess. He will be a solid sidegrade on DoT when Ruan is needed on my break team and I imagine he'll be an asset in PF.

All that said I've only used him in Divergent with whatever the game puts on him so I may have a more favourable opinion when he's built properly. I just finished building my Clara when I got him so starving for xp mats and credits right now.

themightyant

@Pizzamorg completely agree with all your criticisms. There’s plenty NOT to love about the Gacha model. These are brilliant games that are dragged out to hundreds of hours by the systems trying to keep you engaged.

Part of me wishes it was just a pay once game that cut out all the gacha bs, but in reality I know they could never make a game so large or with so many characters with that business model. Plus a bit of the magic is in experiencing things over a long time. Like a long running tv series, series of books or larger universe films it keeps you sucked into the characters and world for the time you have put in.

Pros and cons.

themightyant

themightyant

@Shigurui I lost the 50:50 (of course I did as usual, just one won all year in HSR) but your post makes me feel a bit better about it. At least my next is guaranteed, will have to pick carefully.

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

Shigurui

@themightyant - Ugh, that sucks mate but I honestly feel he's a skip if you have Ruan Mei and maybe a built Pela for Acheron. I hadn't upgraded my BP so I did that and had enough resources to max him and get him to 8/8/8 and test him outside of Divergent.

He's definitely useful on my DoT team and he does buff Acheron quite nicely (I do have his LC) but she's cracked anyway. Happy enough with him but I really don't think he's a must have.

Pizzamorg

themightyant wrote:

@Pizzamorg completely agree with all your criticisms. There’s plenty NOT to love about the Gacha model. These are brilliant games that are dragged out to hundreds of hours by the systems trying to keep you engaged.
Part of me wishes it was just a pay once game that cut out all the gacha bs, but in reality I know they could never make a game so large or with so many characters with that business model. Plus a bit of the magic is in experiencing things over a long time. Like a long running tv series, series of books or larger universe films it keeps you sucked into the characters and world for the time you have put in.

Pros and cons.

This is true as well, in fairness and really not something I had thought about, being honest. By joining late, you are experiencing the game very differently. People on launch didn't have the 150 hours+ worth of content I have now today, so I'm both benefiting from that because I have this absolutely incredibly JRPG experience I can just binge and feast on, but it also means I am moving through content at a pace it probably wasn't really designed to be experienced at. I basically went through three story arcs in one banner rotation, whereas I believe if I had played the game in real time as content was released I would have gone through over 30, which would have made it much easier for me to plan my pulls and flesh out a deep roster.

[Edited by Pizzamorg]

themightyant

@Pizzamorg with one of these games I would like to perhaps just wait and play the whole game after all the content is released. It will be a very different experience, missing all the side content and racing through but I would be interested to see whether they still hold up. I suspect the attraction wouldn’t be as deep, but regardless world like to try.

themightyant

Shigurui

@z0d15g0d @themightyant - Latest livestream codes...

DB3FKWZ4NUG7
NB2W2XZ46VJT
2BKWKEHL6DJX

Shigurui

@themightyant - Are you pulling on the next banners? I'm skipping them on my main. On 65 pity and a guarantee on my alt though so I'll be getting Feixiao. I have Aventurine and S1 Topaz so that's half of her best team already sorted. Will have to wait for another Robin rerun to complete it. On 295 standard on there too so I'll finally get a Himeko for PF!

themightyant

@Shigurui Undecided. I just saw a few leaks/previews of Feixiao and, as expected from her strength in the story, she looks like a top tier DPS. I also like her lore and drip, so if she is as good as expected I’ll probably pull for her, especially as I don’t have a solid Wind DPS. Her kit also makes it seem like it’s hard to power creep in future, she should work on many teams for a long time to come. As i’ve also built Sword master March 7th but don’t have a team for her, Feixiao makes sense.

The only trouble is I don’t have Black Swan, Robin or Kafka either and all would benefit my account. Decisions, decisions.

I also want Moze, and E6 Asta, so I will almost certainly pull for someone. (I try and get every 4 star for some reason in these games, even if I don’t use them, may sound silly I know, but it makes me content)

That all said I’m on ZERO pity after losing 50:50 to Jiaoqiu. I’ll probably have to exhaust my wishes to get a 5-star.

The second phase 2.5 banners look less interesting to me Lingsha (Abundance, Fire) and Topaz rerun

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

Pizzamorg

I think I am gonna prolly go nuts on these banners to be honest. Joining the game late really kinda ruins the fun of HSR a bit, as I am missing so many of the pillar pieces to so many different flavours of teams. These banners basically have all the pillar pieces in them for the teams I can make with the pieces I already have, so I'll probably pay to at least get some extra pulls on all of them. I probably won't pay to guarantee myself all of them as that will get into some truly crazy money if I did, but just to get a few extra pulls in to increase my chance. I feel like I can justify it to myself given the amount of hours I have played of this game already mostly entirely for free.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic