Forums

Topic: Star Wars Outlaws (30-8-2024)

Posts 21 to 40 of 57

Ravix

For anyone interested

I haven't watched any myself, yet, but GameRiot doesn't really clog his gameplay with the hyperactive nonsense of some of the younger streamers, so there's usually a fair base for gameplay reactions that don't completely do your head in

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

scoobdoo

Warning for all of us who paid Ubi $110, got early access and put in 12 hours last night: We all have to restart now.

"Issues with an outdated version on PlayStation 5"

FC: SW-3470-2213-1835

Ravix

@scoobdoo lol whut? Did they release a patch that wasn't compatible with the "pre" launch version or something? What is their legit excuse? πŸ˜… as what you say sounds pretty refund worthy to me.

I'm very much glad I didn't get tempted to buy it last night, as that would have been a bummer πŸ’€

[Edited by Ravix]

βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

Ravix

@scoobdoo so basically the game on the disc, or version 1.0000 or whatever was put out there with a known game breaking bug at a certain point and the patch wasn't available.

Is it actually legal to ship a game that doesn't work these days? Like, seriously, is it? If the first version of the game won't go past a certain part through normal progression, how can it be released? 😬

[Edited by Ravix]

βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

KilloWertz

My physical copy didn't arrive until a couple hours after I got out of work, so it was a non-issue for me, but that really sucks for people who played it overnight.

Some actually think it may be partially Sony's fault for being notoriously slow on having patches release compared to other platforms, but that is pretty crappy that this was another game to be released with a game breaking bug on Day 1.

On a happier note, I did manage to get a couple of hours in with it tonight and I enjoyed it so far. Way too early to give much of an opinion, but again, I enjoyed it. The lockpicking is kind of annoying though.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

BowsersBuddy

@KilloWertz there are some good looking accessibility settings, so I believe that you can switch off certain mini games such as lock picking if you prefer.

BowsersBuddy

KilloWertz

@BowsersBuddy Thanks for the heads up. I just skimmed through menus like that last night and didn't notice that, but I will look into it the next time I play and hopefully will be able to turn it off. It's not a dealbreaker obviously, but I did find it quite annoying at first impression.

Ravix

Thoroughly enjoying it, so far. It actually looks better than I expected too 😊

Untitled

Although photomode has inverted the x axis and uninverted the y axis like a total lunatic. The exact opposite from my gameplay camera controls 🫨 so not sure how often I'll be using that.

The audio is superb, really stands out to me. There is literally not a single stutter or frame drop either in regards to visual performance, which is impressive for a launch title. I've used 30fps graphical and 40fps graphical modes, as both are perfectly smooth for this type of game paired with an oled with VRR.

I did want to try the cinematic 21:9, as in the opening selection it shows the 16:9 as being the one image that gets altered and cropped. But when you actually change it within the game itself, it is quite clear the 21:9 is just getting the 16:9 image with black bars cutting off some of the image πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ no idea why the two seperate settings screens (pre game and during game) show a completely different implementation of the 21:9 mode.

As for the game itself, only a few mild iritations, and barely even mild, not stuff you'd care about unless picking it apart. So some animations are totally silly, sometimes an input goes awry, but it's still fun.

Dialog: I'm not really playing a star wars game for dialog anyway, tbh πŸ˜…

Overall the impression I get from the game is it is kind of like Watch Dogs with Nix instead of a hacking phone, the theme tune from AC Mirage for some reason, and with Girl Dani from Far Cry 6 as the protag, but so far with less goofy charm. I've found myself calling Nix a sneaky sausage already though, so I'm making up for it by being goofy myself 😁

[Edited by Ravix]

βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

Ravix

Okay, so I've been stuck doing other stuff for a good few hours, and I've already been getting the "man, I can't wait to get back to playing Star Wars Outlaws" feeling. I really didn't expect that from this game, and so soon. Usually that feeling is reserved for things that go on to be all time favourites like Baldur's Gate 3, KCD, TW3 and RDR2.

They have obviously done something right, though. Not saying it's going to be as special as those other games, and the feeling might not last, but it's sure nice to have that feeling about a game again 😬😁

[Edited by Ravix]

βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

BowsersBuddy

@KilloWertz no worries, I have the game now and have those settings switched on myself! Can let you know what they are called next time I’m on if that’s helpful.

Pleased to see others here are enjoying the game. I’m probably 4 hours in and think it’s fantastic so far. It might not be game of the year, or an all time great, but I’m really enjoying it. The instant fail stealth sections are my only frustration so far.

BowsersBuddy

Ravix

@BowsersBuddy yep, plenty to enjoy. I don't even mind the stealth bits because it forces you to get better at it, use the environment and tools, and there's usually a bunch of checkpoints so it's not a full fail. The one slight annoyance I had was when it's a section where you can't draw your blaster for some reason, as some insta fails are avoidable with the fast talk/stun shot combo otherwise, and I was trying to trigger that, and it didn't let me πŸ˜…

Sometimes the platforming can go a bit awry while trying to be stealthy too, but so far nothing as annoying as in Uncharted games, which are fantastic, but where you can often get stuck for ages in an annoying bit.

I generally think the reviews have done the game a bit dirty overall, and people focused on the negatives way more than they do in other games with way worse gameplay segments and annoyances present.

In my personal play through I've made a decision that will definitely annoy one syndicate a lot, which will then in turn probably make one side quest I picked up really difficult to get past in stealth all through their territory to get there, and I love that I had the choice to either make something a bit easier for myself, or give myself this challenge and follow a more logical quest progression for the current situation i'm in. Going to try it out later 😬😁😬😁😬😁

[Edited by Ravix]

βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

colonelkilgore

Glad to hear people are enjoying this. I think I’ll feel similarly when I eventually get around to it.

**** DLC!

KilloWertz

@BowsersBuddy Thanks, but it's cool. I figured it out and got the setting to Easy for the lockpicking. Once I started actually using my brain and paying attention to what it shows you to do, lockpicking isn't bad at all. I'll still leave it on Easy though as I just might as well at this point.

Still enjoying my playthrough as well.

Ravix

I can't believe how much stuff is in this game πŸ˜… it feels like it is actually on par with big AC games, even though they said it wasn't. And it kind of handles like a proper RPG, like an Obsidian game or something like that, where you probably have to accept you need to skip some content based on who you align with, or what you're in the mood for.

I've just done an epic really well ordered journey of quests and sidequests, myself, with some of my own RPG experience helping me plot the best route for doing stuff along the way, it comes naturally now tbh πŸ˜† it really makes everything feel so efficient to link stuff like this and it's fairly intuitive in this game, rather than just going back and two all over the place. It makes the "ubi formula" handle a lot better than I guess some people have experience with, which is where frustration can come in, I suppose. Although I will say, there is a lot on offer quite early so it can be daunting to see your quest log build up fast if you're not used to it. You've just got to embrace it 😁

I might do a little write up at some point with spoiler tags where necessary, although a lot of it is side jobs, reputation manipulation, unlocking abilities etc and not really spoilers, and it took me around the first map nicely.

I genuinely can't believe how much I've crammed into my playthough to get to the same point that some reviewers/gameplay videos got to within 2 hours, though. I think people rush the hell out of games and miss the actual the journey, and a bunch of content πŸ˜…

βš”οΈπŸ›‘πŸŽ

Bentleyma

I'm really enjoying this so far. I like how natural most of the quests are. There's no big exclamation mark over a characters head that tells you there's a quest, instead you might overhear a conversation or someone might call you over. And boy do people call you over a lot! The amount of content is overwhelming. I have 9 days off from Thursday and I can't wait to fully immerse myself in the game.

[Edited by Bentleyma]

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

BowsersBuddy

@Ravix I do agree, and whilst I don’t really like instant fail stealth in general, there are points in this game where it makes sense. I mean, I guess there’s no way that Kay would be able to fight her way through an entire ship full of storm troopers alone. So I get why for that mission it would make sense! Some of the others seem a little harsh. But at least there are regular checkpoints/auto saves during those missions so you don’t usually have to go back too far.

I did some side quests last night and they were fun too. I’m still on the first planet, have briefly done one mission in space which was excellent and I’m looking forward to playing some more! Genuinely great game, and I agree that the reviews were harsh.

BowsersBuddy

ApostateMage

I know different opinions and all that but I can't believe some of the negativity around this game. It plays solid and looks very good to boot. Loving it myself.

ApostateMage

colonelkilgore

@ApostateMage I hate to ascribe to anything near conspiracies but some games… genuinely solid games just seem to get treated unjustly by the gaming media, the gamers themselves… or in some cases both. Ubisoft seem to be a publisher that is on the receiving end on this a fair bit too tbh. I pretty much always like their games though.

The treatment Days Gone got is the worst case in point from my perspective (obvs not Ubisoft but a great game treated like it was terrible). It’s one of my absolute favourite ps4 games and I almost didn’t bother playing it due to the media vitriol.

[Edited by colonelkilgore]

**** DLC!

Max_Headroom

colonelkilgore wrote:

The treatment Days Gone got is the worst case in point from my perspective (obvs not Ubisoft but a great game treated like it was terrible). It’s one of my absolute favourite ps4 games and I almost didn’t bother playing it due to the media vitriol.

Spot on, i loved the game and like you nearly didn't bother buying because of all the negative reviews.

Max_Headroom

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic