Forums

Topic: American Sports

Posts 241 to 260 of 282

Th3solution

@Jimmer-jammer Oh man, that’s tragic. And such a senseless act by the driver. Wow

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jimmer-jammer

@Th3solution Yeah, absolutely infuriating. Been a big deal in my neck of the woods. Johnny had a huge impact in his decade in Calgary. Even two years after leaving for Columbus, head to the dome on any given game night and you’re likely to see more Gaudreau jerseys than any other. Calgary tower will be lit up tonight in his honour, and seen a lot of Flames flags on the highways today. Hope the family can recover.

[Edited by Jimmer-jammer]

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@Malaise Yeah, the whole thing just gets more and more tragic with every detail. May they rest in peace.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Ravix

Who is going to be good in the NFL this year, then? 🤔 I'm sure a few of the regulars here will follow it in some form or another, ranging from the casual, to the extreme fantasy football nightmare mode stats geeks 😁

As always, I basically don't acknowledge the sport exists between seasons, bar a cursory watch of a bit of draft coverage, would you just look at that shiny chain, very original 🙄 although this year I do remember a Titans pick nearly broke the NFL commissioner in half after surgery, so there was that 😂😂

Each new season is basically a surprise to me, however, and I'll usually watch the odd game that takes my fancy from Sky Sports usual 5+ game per week selection, picking a team based on how the game is going and what would be most exciting for me as the viewer, as adding a bit of emotion to the play usually helps pass the long periods of, you know, adverts 😅

The UK coverage is actually pretty good for the day games as there's a full studio show on sky, but the real late games can get a bit tedious here if there is no show element 😅

New kick of rule is a thing, I believe I noticed pop up somewhere, so that's going to be a thing, right? Football fans usually take to change well.

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

sorteddan

@Ravix
Well I am looking forward to seeing how the Ravens get on with the addition of Derrick Henry. I think him and Lammar could have a lot of opposition defences on the back foot. And they get the opening game against the ever amazing Mahomes and co. I've even booked a few days off so I can stay up till the early hours watching the new season action.
I've watched the hard knocks shows about the Giants and Bears and looking forward to seeing how that translates onto the field.
Interested to see if Rogers can play a bit for the Jets this year as well. Think the 49ers will be strong again in the NFC if they can keep McCaffery, Deebo and Kittle fit. Also interested as to whether the Lions can continue their recent upward momentum.

So... Basically can't wait! Want to watch all of them and see who makes the headlines and what stories unfold in the coming weeks and months.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Ravix

@sorteddan good stuff. Oh, f*** yeah, he went to the Ravens. I knew he'd left Tennessee, but completely forgot the destination. A good fit, I imagine. That definitely makes opening night a must watch, then. Potentially the two favourites this year?

All I will say though is, Baltimore, run him on the outside a bit more. Tennessee seemed to fall in love with bouncing him up the middle, and it frustrated me when you'd see toss plays out wide be much more brutal. Obviously if the blocks are there, good stuff, go right up the gut, but he can be very, very, very one dimensional doing that, until there's a miscommunication and he gets free. But seeing him unleashed on the outside up against corners 😅😅😅 good luck, corners.

Going to be very jealous of his maybe 5 or 6 TD passes to Jackson this year, too. It will happen, I'm sure, at some point. They could be a cool duo.

Any other interesting games on paper in the opening week?

[Edited by Ravix]

⚔️🛡🐎

sorteddan

@Ravix
yeah but having to have a couple ready to stop Henry running straight at them will free up some space for Jackson. It shouldn't be possible to have double coverage on both, and if they do then there will be space for the throw.

I think the Eagles and Packers are playing at some point but my pick would be watching the Jags going to Miami which I think is one of the early Sunday games and could well be an explosive entertaining affair.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Pizzamorg

I'm a UK NFL fan, I just watch the league through DAZN rather than relying on Sky cause then I have access to every game, VODs of the games, RedZone etc

Life to the living, death to the dead.

straw-hat-crew

Seeing a lot of NFL talk in the past few comments, and as a J E T S fan, let's just say it's been disappointing and weird the few couple of seasons.
Anyone watch the NBA? Which team(s) / player(s) do y'all root for?

Be Kind and Support Each Other.

nessisonett

@straw-hat-crew Since I’m a Scot, choosing American teams mostly came down to who I played as in the video games or who I got drafted by in the career modes. Since I played as the Nuggets in the 2K games back in the early PS4 days, I was well chuffed when they actually became good over the last few years. I usually keep up to date with the Broncos cause they’re also in Denver but obviously are much much worse. Baseball though, cannot even begin to imagine actually being a Rockies fan and I always had a soft spot for the Red Sox 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@Ravix Until someone dethrones the Chiefs, they have to be the favorite, in my book. I also like Philadelphia’s chances from the NFC, since there’s simply too much talent there for them to fall apart again this year. What a colossal collapse that was last year. It will likely come down to the Eagles or the Niners on the NFC side.

Challengers for KC on the AFC side will be Miami and Baltimore.

Dark horse candidates to keep an eye on would be Texans, Jets, and the Browns in the AFC; and Packers, Lions, and the Cowboys in the NFC. One of those teams will probably have a surprisingly strong season.

But yeah, don’t bet against Mahomes just yet.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ravix

@Th3solution too much talent to fall apart again... and yet 👀😆

I'm just excited that the best punter in the known universe is back, as that is where games will be won and lost this year 😛

Honestly, this year the Titans are potentially going to be quite fun to follow, regardless of results. I mean, where else are you going to get crazy sh** like this

https://www.foodandwine.com/hellmans-will-levis-no-8-fragranc...

Embrace the weird! 😁😁😁 and if you need any slightly more obscure picks for fantasy football, tag me in and I'll give you a run down of any potential cheap Titans (I don't play FF, but I will get to know the roster quite well, I imagine) like, I assume the overall NFL fan isn't that clued in on Chig Okonkwo. Maybe they are, but I doubt it. One to watch, for sure

⚔️🛡🐎

Ravix

@Pizzamorg do you follow a team? Or just like all the games?

And how is DAZN, functionality, reliability etc? I keep getting emails about 25% off. But I don't think I liked the app on tv one bit when i last checked it out. I use NBA league pass for my NBA sub, and that is mostly okay. Not so sure on DAZN.

[Edited by Ravix]

⚔️🛡🐎

Pizzamorg

Ravix wrote:

@Pizzamorg do you follow a team? Or just like all the games?
And how is DAZN, functionality, reliability etc? I keep getting emails about 25% off. But I don't think I liked the app on tv one bit when i last checked it out. I use NBA league pass for my NBA sub, and that is mostly okay. Not so sure on DAZN.

Kind of, not really. I was a neutral fan forever, still see myself mostly as one, but I probably most closely align myself to the Chargers, because Herbert made me switch from being a casual fan of this sport to... Like oh ***** I think I love this.

Its a shame the Chargers have been a complete disaster ever since I started really getting invested in Herbert's career, but it is what is.

I say I am still more of a neutral fan, because I am more of a fan of Herbert than I am the Chargers if that makes any sense. Like, once Herbert retires or whatever happens I don't think I will be a Chargers fan for like life or whatever, maybe that's sacrilegious to say, but I'm not American so have no homer attachment to anyone.

In terms of DAZN it is what it is, to be honest. I'm not going to say its a great platform, although it is for the most part reliable, but its the only way in the UK I know of to (legally) see all the NFL content in one place under one subscription, so it makes more sense to me than stuff like Sky Sports which only shows you a couple of games and has no VODs etc.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

straw-hat-crew

@nessisonett
It's interesting and also not surprising that folks end up rooting for teams that they play as in video games. Sports games are a big intersection and provide that cross over between sports fans and video game players (and sometimes, if not, most of the time, they're the same person!) Well congrats to you rooting for a team that won the NBA chip, what, 2 season ago? Jokic is a beast.
I'm originally born and raised in NYC and so I was handed down the burden of rooting for the New York Knicks. They've been on the up and up recently and trending in the right direction for sure.
I was going to download NBA 2K off of PS Plus Extra - I've dabbled here and there but the last time I got truly invested in an NBA 2K game was Pre-2K-20s. Yikes!
Also, a Yankees fan. Boo Red Sox : )

Be Kind and Support Each Other.

Ravix

@Pizzamorg I totally understand that reasoning for kind of following a team. As you do kind of need a personal or emotional tie to really get into the game to start with if you arent American. The NFL has never been that big in the UK, in terms of mainstream big, so for me it is similar. In school there there were a few people that liked it, so super bowl parties, throwing around a football, and playing Madden was the main source of NFL knowledge, and playing Madden means you get to know some players, form an opinion on the type of football you like etc, which is why I have the Titans as the 'kind of team I support' but I have had years where I've barely watched more than the odd MNF and super bowl, and some where I've followed the team and league more extensively.

As I already pay for sky sports I'll probably stick with that for now then, as I don't like the NFL enough to pay for it twice 😅 but I'm already kind of tempting myself to go for it by the earlier post I made about Will Levis 😆 But quality wise I'm not sure how good the Titans games will be with the new coach, and the AFC south is probably stacked against them this year anyway. It may be a 'define a new style' kind of year. Maybe they will be a surprise package, although I have no idea about the new coach, compared to a Vrabel where you prettt much know what you'd get, regardless of the team on the field. And if they are a surprise package they will get given tv games later on anyway. If not, I've not missed out by just watching the odd marquee game on Sky and keeping up with the league overall.

⚔️🛡🐎

Ravix

@straw-hat-crew check back a page or two and you will see mine and @th3solution 's semi in depth NBA finals break downs, where my Celtics triumphed over their 'kind of' Mavs 😛

Untitled

It will be banner time in about a month, so I assume I'll be in this thread a little when the season begins, but overall I am nice and content, and will just enjoy this season regardless.

Maybe it will be the Knicks year 🫨🤞

⚔️🛡🐎

nessisonett

@straw-hat-crew I guess being from NYC means you run the gauntlet of having some of the best teams in sports and having some of the worst! The Knicks definitely are improving year on year but uh, the Jets are something else, genuinely cannot remember the last time they made playoffs. I suppose a masochist New Yorker would be a Jets and Mets fan 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@straw-hat-crew SGA is apparently the early favorite for MVP and it’s hard not to root for the guy. He’s just an assassin and seems to be a genuinely nice person. As much as I like Jokic, I’d like to see another player get MVP attention.

Team-wise, @Ravix will be happy to know that (just like with the Chiefs on the NFL side) the championship belongs to the Celtics until someone can figure out how to shut them down. I generally like the Western Conference teams better, so I’ll root for Denver, Dallas, OKC, Minnesota, or San Antonio. Exceptions are the Clippers and the Suns in the West who I don’t care for. 😄.
In the East, the Celtics are alright, even though I like to irritate ol’ Ravix about them. The other Eastern team I like is the Greek Freak and co. in Milwaukee.

But hey, you can hold your head up high about the Knicks. They are ahead of schedule and no one saw Brunson being this dominant this quickly; he’s another solid MVP candidate to keep an eye on. Maybe they can give the boys in green a little resistance this year.

Ravix

If your QB isn't this weird, then you aren't worth watching

😁

[Edited by Ravix]

⚔️🛡🐎

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic