Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 2,320

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder You should play it safe and take your own glass while insisting you pour all your own drinks.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy Isn't that the same organisation you called inept previously? Why should we take their advice now? You could always lead by example and shut yourself up for two weeks.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho We are all going out in hazmat suits. The booze will be pumped in by our own individual barrels.

[Edited by JohnnyShoulder]

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Octane

@Shigurui Because the mortality rate is way higher. If it spreads, it will kill more people than the common flu, that's the point kinda. Once it kills more than the common flu it's already too late, then it will have spread enough that it's impossible to prevent from spreading any further, though I'd argue that it's already happening at this point. It's just a waiting game at this point really.

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@Shigurui The known cases thing can be a bit misleading as I'm not sure if that is taking in effect the people that have recovered, so the figure could be potentially lower. I know some outlets in the UK have been incorrectly using the totaly people that have ever had it in the to UK as the current amount of people that have it. It is hard to get anywhere near an exact figure.

JohnnyShoulder

Well not shaking hands lasted all of a few hours. The amount of alcohol consumed will probably negate any effect.

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder you can both be incompetent and correct. The world health organisation has failed to do what it's meant to do. However saying that all countries should work together and try a final push at isolation is fair play imo.

Also if I self isolated as someone without coronavirus, in 2 weeks time I will come out and I will be fine but the problem will be everyone who has contracted the virus is still passing it on. I don't want to sit at home, no one does. But its a necessary evil when North Italy, Iran and China have cordoned off millions of people. We could have a couple of weeks off and stop mass transit and corona going loco.

You may disagree and that's fine. At the end of the day my ideas are a suggestion, the real problem I always find in life are when you are too passive and reactive rather than taking the bull by the horns. Prevention is always better than cure.

I see no evidence of the governments policy in my day to day life. You would know more than me behind the scenes in that regard. However when the country coronavirus stemmed from is aggressively quarantining returning visitors from Italy and Iran we have to wake up and get real.

Here's a couple of our regional neighbours stats;

France 949 +296
Germany 800 +130

That's the current infected total (which accounts for all known cases, ongoing, recovered, critical and dead patients) and the increase today.

On the 28th of February Germany had 80 cases;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-28/germany-st...

In 8 days its gone from 80 to 800, they like France are now taking it way more seriously. It may be a tad over the top to many but this whole situation could and still can get better with a radical approach. Stop what we are doing, none essential workers go home and act like it's a great big 2-3 week holiday at home.

But it won't happen and you and I will get coronavirus. Maybe even this Month or Next.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ryall

@themcnoisy The problem is that some roles can’t be isolated. If someone who self isolating loses there electric they’re still going to want someone to fix. It even if they be willing to delay planned work when the system is working.

Ryall

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy nice idea but it just doesn’t work imo. I for one wouldn’t have a job to go back to if we shut up shop for 2-3 weeks, as half of the country...we don’t tend to hire non-essential staff.

[Edited by kyleforrester87]

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

The U.S. is up to 401 confirmed cases, and we're barely testing anyone.

If I ever wished I could be inside a video game as a kid, I don't know that the game I would have chosen to participate in is Plague Inc.

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio demo (PC)

Ugh. Men.

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

I’m still surprised that people are THAT worried though, I mean what, a 97%+ chance of recovery if you actually even get it? I won’t lie I am worried about catching it but mostly because I have a suppressed immune system and don’t know how badly it’d hit me. If I wasn’t on these meds I think I’d be laughing.

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 I don't want my 71 year old mother with heart failure getting it.

Also, a 2% mortality rate is still pretty scary.

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio demo (PC)

Ugh. Men.

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah i feel ya, I don’t really have any older family to be overly concerned about but that’s understandable. I still like those odds though - and that’s even if you actually catch it.

kyleforrester87

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 97% recovery?

Honestly mate think about what you have typed. It's insanity man. Just let it wash over us and only 3% of the population will die unnecessarily. There is a solution here but no one's willing to give it a go.

You probably haven't noticed but stock markets are crashing all around us anyway. Richer people than us are pulling out and causing an economic meltdown. They know the situation is fubar.

@Ryall Absolutely, there are tons of these situations. People in the gig economy, the working poor, people in debt. Etc etc. But there are loads of solutions. Banks to offer a free payment holiday for a month on a mortgage, therefore a free month's rent for tenants. No interest on debt or payments needed for a month. We just need some out of the box ideas.

When this gets worse, which it will for every tenant of modern life. Doing nothing now in my opinion is a disaster. Iran have mobilised 300,000 military staff, think about that. Politicians in Iran and the EU have contracted it already, its everywhere!

With the electrician example which is a really good curveball, with the correct education and everyone on the same page he could come in suited up, gas mask on etc. Do the job. Wipe down all surfaces, leave, get a bank transfer for the work. Go home, Suit off in reverse so you never touch the external section and disinfect. Extreme but its what the people who make medicine in hospitals do 4 times a day.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

nessisonett

@themcnoisy Y’know, you saying FUBAR just made me realise that’s what the age old software placeholders ‘foo’ and ‘bar’ refer to. Thanks for that, it’s taken a weight off my mind 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@kyleforrester87 An Italian medical group have released one thing today saying they’ve experienced up to 10% of confirmed cases needing ITU support which includes those aged 40+. That’s one of the more worrying things I’ve read recently as that would cause serious problems in the UK if it were to be even half that.

The positive thing in the UK at the moment is that number are only going up a little each day rather than the almost doubling some countries have seen

Thrillho

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy there are thousands of preventable deaths everyday that you are not getting in a twist about that, and carrying out such a blunt containment strategy would also lead to deaths.

And again it’s not 3% of the population, it’s less than 3% of the population who also contract the virus. And we have to also agree that this 3% number is nowhere near concrete (yes, it could be higher, but there is every chance it’s also lower since some people will have had mild symptoms and gone well under the radar)

[Edited by kyleforrester87]

kyleforrester87

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.