Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 2,320

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 fighting for resources right now is stupid. However a little prep can go a long way. If other countries decide to take drastic action ala Iran and Italy, then supplies will drop. Europe is in the thrall of becoming Covids stomping ground.

That said the stats are becoming more bareable. Only 12% of ongoing cases are serious or critical (this was sat around 18% a few days ago) The 6% Death rate according to official stats still stands, however its been proven young people can be asymptomatic - maybe accounting for a huge leap in the numbers and the death rate plunging. Then there are the people who have negligible symptoms who never report it. So I'm a lot happier now.

Also smokers suffer worse. Chinese men smoke a lot. Less of an issue here in the UK.

[Edited by themcnoisy]

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy "Then there are the people who have negligible symptoms who never report it." yeah, I mean 300-400 confirmed cases, you've got to wonder if that doesn't mean there are thousands and thousands of unconfirmed cases that lead to those few hundred actually getting checked out and diagnosed. My boss has been ill for 5 days now, he's feeling pretty grim but he's not been on to 111 or anything so effectively under the radar.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Octane

@redd214 Sensible precautions is exactly what we need. Not fighting over toilet paper, because then you're part of the problem. I saw a picture of a family with plastic bags over their heads in a supermarket hoarding stuff, that's just equally silly as it is stupid.

@themcnoisy Well, it can cause pneumonia, so no surprise really.

Octane

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 there's way more. Worst case scenario is now a death rate in the UK of under 2%.

I'm pretty happy with those odds.

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy glad you’re back from the brink mate, was afraid we’d lost you down that Daily Mail rabbit hole for good.

Apparently we’re now able to test a lot more per day and the results are within 24 hours so we should see cases shoot right up.

Daily Mail will say “Cases of DEADLY disease TRIPLE in 24 hours as supermarket shelves are EMPTIED IN PANIC”

[Edited by kyleforrester87]

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

LieutenantFatman

Makes a change to everyone banging on and on about Brexit and how much they despise people that voted for / against it, so there's that at least. How many years did that go on for?

I'll probably have changed my tune a few months from now mind you, when we're all living in a post apocalyptic wasteland. Just back from the supermarket, no toilet rolls in sight, this is how it starts, people.

LieutenantFatman

nessisonett

@LieutenantFatman Eh, Covid-19 mostly kills old people, most of whom voted for Brexit. Perhaps the percentage of Boris supporters will fall over the coming year, as morbid as that may sound.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Something something divine retribution 😉

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 I dont read the Daily Mail. I like stats so get as much info as possible. When the Who are saying the death rate is 3.5%, the sickness tracker has serious or critical patients at 18% and countries are being locked down it's really worrying. If it's just a major case of chicken pox we should all get infected and throw a party!

themcnoisy

@Thrillho it's the older people who are going to die.

'my generation, baby'

AdamNovice

At the end of the day you should only be worried if your old and have underlying health problems. I really don't get the hysteria from people. So many are just blowing it out of all proportion, not helped or caused by the media. It wasn't this bad when Swine flu or Sars broke out and they were probably worse.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

RR529

AdamNovice wrote:

At the end of the day you should only be worried if your old and have underlying health problems. I really don't get the hysteria from people. So many are just blowing it out of all proportion, not helped or caused by the media. It wasn't this bad when Swine flu or Sars broke out and they were probably worse.

While SARS was more deadly, it was able to be contained. Swine Flu was more widespread (at least as of now), but was less deadly, and it was possible to limit the disease's effect if you had a Flu shot.

COVID-19 has spread far more than SARS (and it's unlikely to turn around any time soon), and is much deadlier than any Flu in recent memory (other than Spanish Flu), hence the worry.

It's not the end of the world, true, however if left unchecked it'll overwhelm health care systems the world over (it has an 18-20% percent hospitalization rate), and that, along with the fact that people will be too scared to go out (if not for their own sake, then for the sake of not wanting to expose their elderly relatives), will have a disastrous effect on the world economy.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

AdamNovice

@RR529 Don't get me wrong. I agree that need to be alert and take precautions but I also believe people been calm and rational will get things under control just as quickly.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

WanderingBullet

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson have tested positive for the coronavirus.:/

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Th3solution

Woah. All NBA games cancelled. I figured it was coming eventually but not this soon.
The Olympics are next. Pretty sure those aren’t happening.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.