Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 701 to 720 of 2,320

Ralizah

themcnoisy wrote:

People have been sacked and cash in hand jobs gone.

lol I had to re-read this sentence three times before I realized what you were saying.

Apparently I still have the brain of a 13-year-old.

@kyleforrester87 It'll be interesting if this state of hyper-awareness about disease and social distance becomes a new normal due to the length of time this virus is likely to stick around.

[Edited by Ralizah]

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio demo (PC)

Ugh. Men.

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah At least it’s wasn’t just me who thought that 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

ralphdibny wrote:

what did you both think he said?!?

ralphdibny wrote:

oic now lol

The transition from boy to man, captured in two posts that were only a minute apart.

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio demo (PC)

Ugh. Men.

Heavyarms55

I read a news story today the the Governor of New York no longer thinks the virus can be stopped in New York and they are doing all they can just to slow the virus in order to not overburden the healthcare infrastructure. Meanwhile POTUS is downplaying the virus yet again - notably with the absence of the top expert at the press conference.

And the Olympics have been postponed, unsurprisingly, despite what some Japan haters were suggesting I really don't think it was ever in doubt.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

ralphdibny

Ralizah wrote:

Apparently I still have the brain of a 13-year-old.

I think you may mean from man to boy. Sadly I am now a man again 😔

See ya!

Ralizah

@Heavyarms55 New York has more reported cases than the entirety of France, and is going to surpass Iran's count in a day or two, so I think that's a pretty realistic assessment.

The virus can't be stopped here. We wasted valuable time and allowed it to spread almost unchecked for weeks. It's going to burn through our population and kill tens of thousands of Americans when all is said and done.

[Edited by Ralizah]

Ugh. Men.

Heavyarms55

@Ralizah I was looking at some numbers, globally there's been about 380k people confirmed with the virus, 101k have recovered and 16k have died.

So let's say just 3% of the US's 327 million people get the virus, that's about 10.9 million people sick, about 30 times the total confirmed cases to date, it would imply around 480k people could die.

That's if the virus only infects 3% of the US population. Let's imagine if the virus hits just 1% of the global population of 7.7 billion: that's 77 million people. More than 7 times the above example of 3% of the US population. If 77 million people got sick, that would lead to potentially over 3.5 million dead.

Then we have to consider other factors. Most hard hit countries right now have been financially comparably well to do nations. I don't think anyone would argue that America, South Korea, China, most of Europe and and the like are ill equipped in general. If the virus spreads to Africa or India or parts of South America or Southeast Asia where countries have a lot less developed infrastructure and resources - the death rate could potentially be much higher.

I've seen some people suggesting that this virus is going to burn through nearly the entire population that even China which seems to have beaten back the tide, could easily see another outbreak...

If that happens I dread to think of what the future could hold. We could be looking at numbers of dead not seen since the world wars.

themcnoisy

@LieutenantFatman that's a weird one. Boris Johnson probably has shares in them lol.

@Heavyarms55 the UK health advisor thinks if we test everyone, 4% will develop lung problems and need a ventilator, 1% will die. The real issue is hospital capacity, unmanageable situations will lead to more dead.

@Ralizah Trumps philosophy on coronavirus is unique other than Sweden. It's going to be crazy in approximately a weeks time when the death toll in USA is the highest yet. Smashing all the records.

But.... We won't actually know if this decision is correct as @kyleforrester87 said, China is going to find out very soon what a second wave feels like.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ryall

A particularly nasty feature of this virus is it seems to affect those who have had a higher dose worse. When pick it up from a brief encounter with a single infected individual or a surface they have contaminated it often get a mild infection. Those who are caring for a sick individual without proper PPE get a large dose from a single line and are often more severely ill. The doctor caring for multiple infected patients without proper PPE will get a high dose for multiple lines and therefore have the worst chance.

It’s worth saying that if you’re unlucky any infection can be lethal. But if you are forced to be in a dangerous situation it’s still worth cutting down your exposure time, wearing the best PPE possible and sanitising yourself immediately afterwards.

Chickenpox is apparently similar in that the first person infected in the family often has a milder illness than subsequent infections.

On a population level ,even without the impact on the health service, having a lower peak is desirable. Because it reduces the chance of people picking up multiple lines simultaneously.

Ryall

Heavyarms55

@themcnoisy 4% of the population will get infected, or 4% of the infected will need ventilators? And same question for the 1%. That's an extremely important distinction!

@LaJettatura I just read an article that in a recent interview he talked about being glad Trump hadn't fired him yet. There are signs that Trump is chaffing under having to follow advice. And it seems clear to me - though I don't want to get political more than needed - that Trump does not like following expert advice. In fact he has spent much of his political career denouncing "experts" and claiming he knows better. It's frightening.

nessisonett

@Heavyarms55 Did you see his recommendation to take Chloroquine? And now a man is dead thanks to the terrible advice (however idiotic actually taking it may be).

Heavyarms55

@nessisonett Yes I did, and yeah the person made a bad choice in taking it at all. But the leader of a nation needs to be held to a higher standard than an ordinary person. Back in high school I was in JROTC and leadership and responsibility were two highly covered topics in that program. When a person is in a position of authority, they can delegate that authority but not the responsibility. Trump can't just pawn the blame off for that. He's the one who said, on national TV and repeated across the internet that "he had a good feeling about it" and "it might be a game changer" Almost no outlets wanted to cover the actual doctors warning that that was, at best, anecdotal evidence!

And I'll tell you why I think they didn't want to cover it - because we're all terrified that Trump might throw a tantrum and fire the actual experts in the middle of the crisis because they dared to speak out!

Imagine if you were a teacher, and you "suggested" students do something and they did it and died from it. You'd be facing criminal charges and likely end up in jail. Because as a teacher, you're in a position of authority over the students. Trump is in, arguably, the highest position of authority that a mortal human can hold - leader of the so-called strongest and wealthiest nation on Earth. He owes the world a certain level of caution before he speaks because his words have a lot more power than some random school teacher!

WanderingBullet

Putin means business.

Untitled

Fake news but still pretty funny.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

nessisonett

@Heavyarms55 Don’t worry, his approval rating is at an all time high, I’m sure he’ll beat the coronavirus better than anybody’s ever beaten coronavirus and then you’ll have another 4 years of madness 😉

Heavyarms55

@nessisonett [comment removed because it's overly political and this is not the time or place]

Trust me, there's plenty I want to say. But I'm not going to right now.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.