Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 4,181 to 4,200 of 4,235

FuriousMachine

@Tjuz Yeah, her role was a bit light in the second episode, but what was there she totally killed. Hopefully her role will get meatier as we go.

@Th3solution I second the "Watchmen" recommendation from @Tjuz. I'd say it's one of the best DC comics series out there, maybe the best. Fantastic stuff (though, be aware that it works as a sequel to the original graphic novel, not so much as a sequel to the Snyder movie)

FuriousMachine

Ravix

Yes, @Th3solution do as @Tjuz says and make it you who watches the Watchmen

Watchmen was very, very good. I might even watch it again this winter. As it sounds like I need to restart my entertainment subscription and watch The Penguin this year anyway. In my mind I'm thinking The Penguin is probably going to be a bit like the DC version of the Sopranos for some reason ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

I'm so very out of touch, but did DC ever do anything with Barry Keoghan? After 'The Batman' tease.

Oh, and the reason I came to this thread was because...

as vampires are pretty much the only aspect of horror that I really (this one's for Sammy) "vibe with" ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿ˜… I'm pretty much going to shove as much vampire related stuff into my face and brain as possible this month. Starting with binging S5 of What We Do in the Shadows, the Vampire satire that we all know and love (maybe) it's not a show for the ages, but I still bloody love it.

Curious if there's much other vampire related stuff knocking about from recent years on the more dramatic side of things. The BBC made a dracula series a few years back.

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
โš”๏ธ๐Ÿ›ก๐ŸŽ

Th3solution

@Ravix @FuriousMachine @Tjuz
I watched the first episode of Watchmen a couple years ago, and it didnโ€™t really grab me. Sounds like it obviously gets better but the pilot was a little boring and also hard for me to follow since I didnโ€™t really know any of the characters. I never read the graphic novel but I did see the Snyder movie and thought it was pretty good. Itโ€™s been several years since Iโ€™ve seen it though.

โ€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.โ€

JohnnyShoulder

@Ravix Salem's Lot started on Max last week. I think that has vampires in it?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FuriousMachine

@JohnnyShoulder Hasn't been well received, though. I was looking forward to it, but the consensus seems to be "this is not the adaptation you're looking for". The book is excellent and Tobe Hooper's version is fine, but I was hoping this one would really do the book justice... apparently it is an anaemic affair

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

@Ravix I'm not familiar with any recent vampire series; none that has caught my eye, anyway. The BBC Dracula was... well, not for me... it felt "cheap" to me and I gave up on it pretty quickly (provided we're taking about the one from 2020 with Claes Bang as Big D). It has a 6.8 rating on IMDb, so might be worth checking out to judge for yourself.

On the movie side, though, you can do far worse than "Abigail". One of my favourite "fun" horror movies this year; had a blast with it

FuriousMachine

Tjuz

@Ravix Barry Keoghan hasn't shown up again yet, but The Penguin is also the first project since The Batman to take place in this universe. As far as I know from reviews, this show is also not getting any big cameos from the movie, so I'll suppose we have to wait longer!

I love What We Do in the Shadows as well! Such a fun show and I'm excited/sad for it to end when it premieres its final season later in the month. The Escape from Season 3 is still peak comedy as far as I'm concerned. As for other must-watch vampire shows, you owe it to yourself to check out AMC's TV adaptation of Interview with the Vampire if you haven't already. It's a fantastic show with some truly astonishing performances from each of the leads. Its second season in particular which came out in the summer is just a masterwork of fiction. Some of the best writing currently on TV!

Tjuz

FuriousMachine

@Tjuz @FuriousMachine I can't believe I forgot about AMC's "Interview..."! Yes, a very good adaptation. Haven't seen s2 yet, as the show isn't available here and I have to wait until the next time I can borrow a friend's US Prime Video subscription... annoying AF, but beats going the pirate route.

FuriousMachine

Ravix

@Tjuz @FuriousMachine

Oh, I totally forgot there was Interview with a Vampire, I think that aired on the BBC here, too.

Yeah, the Dracula show, I seem to remember it had its moments, and thematically I was happy to watch it. And tbh it's not often you get a shiny new tv adaption so I know I was pleased it existed at the time.

What We Do in the Shadows is excellent comfort food. I'm always surprised at how good the production value and set pieces can be, considering it doesn't exactly get mega viewership ratings on tv. I suppose streaming it is quite successful though. 6 seasons is pretty mega for a niche comedy horror show born of New Zealand, with a British cast and an American setting ๐Ÿ˜…

The cast is quite superb, and personally I've loved all three for a long time, Kayvan since he was Phonejacker, Matt Berry (Garth Merenghis Dark Place, check that obscure sh*t out, btw) pretty much anything he is in benefits from his appearance, and Natasia Demetriou, check out 'Stath Let's Flats'if you haven't seen it! Is always mad as a hatter and just plain weird in a very watchable way.

Oh yes, and Abigail. I'll keep an eye out for that, then.

And as for Barry Keoghan, he looks set to be the most disgusting Joker yet, which really intrigues me haha. He is also a really good talent, so I have no idea why he was in that marvel guff, DC should suit him better ๐Ÿ˜… (I don't dislike marvel, I think they just hit a brick wall and gave up a good few years ago, and DC also make their fair share of garbage)

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
โš”๏ธ๐Ÿ›ก๐ŸŽ

FuriousMachine

In a move surprising absolutely no one, Netflix has cancelled Kaos with Jeff Goldblum. Anyone here seen it and can shed some light on whether the final episode can serve as a satisfying conclusion or not?

FuriousMachine

Yousef-

@FuriousMachine Iโ€™m not super qualifiedโ€ฆ but kinda.

How to reach me out: ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡
Discord: yousef. (All lowercase with fullstop at the end)
Bluesky: yousef7
Email: [email protected] (donโ€™t worry, itโ€™s my non-private email for chatter)
PSN: Kat170499
You can contact me just to say hi.

JohnnyShoulder

@Ravix There is Mind

Fonejacker was awesome! Sometime me and a mate in work will greet each other like we are Brian Badonde! ๐Ÿ˜‚

There is also Midnight Mass. Probably my favourite horror tv show of the last few years. Only bettered by Haunting of Hill House in my eyes.

[Edited by JohnnyShoulder]

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Yousef-

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

@Ravix There is Mind
Fonejacker was awesome! Sometime me and a mate in work will greet each other like we are Brian Badonde! ๐Ÿ˜‚

There is also Midnight Mass. Probably my favourite horror tv show of the last few years. Only bettered by Haunting of Hill House in my eyes.

Since youโ€™re replaying to @Ravix , you should be more mindful of your wording. Here, Iโ€™ll rephrase one sentence for you: โ€œThere is Mind ๐Ÿซ ๐Ÿซ ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿคค๐Ÿซจ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿงโ€
Hopefully this is helpful.

Email: [email protected] (donโ€™t worry, itโ€™s my non-private email for chatter)

JohnnyShoulder

@Yousef- This is what happens when a bloke tries to multi task ๐Ÿซ 

Yousef-

So damn true lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿคฃ

PegasusActual93

@Th3solution
All the DC shows are disconnected from one another. Watchmen isn't connected to the DC universe at all and is it's own thing. Pennyworth is alternate history, hell even Doom Patrol and Titans exist in their own seperate universes. It's not at all like an MCU tv show situation.

[Edited by PegasusActual93]

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

zupertramp

@PegasusActual93 I wish DC could get their stuff together in terms of, well one quality, but also some sense of continuity over some of their different properties. That said I do appreciate that they have standalone stuff. The MCU at this point is exhausting. Maybe a happy medium between extreme interconnectedness and no throughline whatsoever would be nice.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simpleโ€”not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

FuriousMachine

@zupertramp Will be interesting to see how James Gunn's new DCU connectivity shakes out. Will be interconnected between movies, series and games, with the "Elseworlds" brand set for standalone or separate projects such as Matt Reeves "The Batman" universe (which actually now may be folded into the connected DCU according to rumours), Todd Philips' "Joker" abominations movies, etc

I think inter-connectivity can work as long as it doesn't feel like a requirement to see everything in order to enjoy the various entities. Comics have been doing it for decades, having characters visiting each others series without there being a compelling need to read every single comic book released.

[Edited by FuriousMachine]

FuriousMachine

Yousef-

@FuriousMachine Iโ€™ve had the feeling James Gunnโ€™s verse may be a weird afterthought, like they made Shazam, the new suicide squad and joker all while going โ€œoh crap how do we fit this into one world like with Snyderโ€.

I am on the other hand quite welcoming of his input! And it breathes fresh new life into Snyderverse and makes it more interesting, even if Peace Maker has essentially overwritten Snyderverseโ€™s existence all together. Not that thatโ€™s a negative, per se.

Well said on the second paragraph. ๐Ÿ‘

[Edited by Yousef-]

JohnnyShoulder

@FuriousMachine Feels like it will eventually become an incomprehensible mess.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic