Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 4,221 to 4,235 of 4,235

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

Watched the first 2/3 of Season One of The Boondocks so far. Still greatly enjoying it. One character appears to be the sole voice of reason in the family, whilst the other two are more morally dubious, with one of the latter two being a sort of morally ambiguous kind of person. It's like the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, in other words.🤣 I'm not sure if that analogy works entirely, but, hey, if I'm wrong, like the 'bad' character would say, "You can sue me!"

"(Music is) a purposeless play. This play, however, is an affirmation of life" (paraphrased) - John Cage

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

BearsEatBeets

Looks like I'll need to get Apple TV again next month. If it releases weekly I'll probably wait until it's nearly complete and just get it for one month.

I'm also looking forward to the second season of The Diplomat on Netflix soon. I had a go at watching the Lara Croft show the other night in bed but fell asleep. It looks quite cheaply made to me, especially after watching such great animations like Arcane and Blue Eyed Samurai. I'll give it another try when I'm more awake but I'm not optimistic.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Th3solution

@BearsEatBeets I had the same experience with that Lara Croft Tomb Raider show. It was a bit cheap and boring compared to the latest Netflix animated shows, as you mention. Blur Eyed Samurai and Arcane are cream of the crop, but even Cyberpunk and Castlevania seemed so much better produced than this TR show. I was quite disappointed since I really adore the franchise. I might try the second episode but the first one didn’t really leave me wanting.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@BearsEatBeets nice, looking forward to season 2, hopefully we’ll get a season 2 of Severance soon too.

currently residing in PS3 Purgatory

PegasusActual93

@colonelkilgore
Severance season 2 is January 17th. Announced a while ago.

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

zupertramp

@BearsEatBeets looking forward to more Silo but worried about what revealing more of the unknowns will do for my interest. I'm kinda one of those weirdos that likes getting left with a sense of mystery - which is probably why I stand by Lost because I enjoy not getting ALL the answers. We'll see though. Rebecca Ferguson has been great and I've enjoyed the claustrophobic setting and the art direction and production generally (another thing that may change) so I'm optimistic.

Until then there's Arcane and before I know it Severance. A lot of great stuff to look forward to.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

FuriousMachine

@zupertramp If the show continues to follow the books, there will be plenty of mystery for a while yet, if my memory is correct

FuriousMachine

zupertramp

@FuriousMachine oooh, it's a book series? Again, failed to consider this possibility. Even still the first season finale would have been an awesome conclusion imo. Sometimes in widening and expanding the world things go... awry for me. The Passage is a good example of this. A stellar and engrossing novel that gets sullied by the follow up to the point that I pretend it's a standalone thing instead of a trilogy lol.

Anyway, be there day one watching it regardless. Curious about the books now but I'll have to wait until the series concludes I suppose.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

BearsEatBeets

@Th3solution Likewise I have a fondness for the franchise so wanted it to be good. I'll give it another chance but my expectations are low.

@colonelkilgore I never got around to checking Severance when I had Apple so I'll try and squeeze that in as well when I resub.

@zupertramp yeah some shows are better at building mysteries than finding satisfying conclusions to them. The fact they are based on books and the overall quality of the first season give me hope.
@FuriousMachine Are the books finished with a complete story or are they still ongoing? We don't want another Game of Thrones scenario.

BearsEatBeets

FuriousMachine

@zupertramp @BearsEatBeets It's a trilogy by Hugh Howey and season 1 ends about halfway into the first book. The second book is set in a different time period with different characters and the third brings us back to the original time period. Curious to see if they will go from book one directly to three and tell book two via interspersed flashbacks (think that may work better than spending entire seasons away from Juliette & co). The books have a satisfying ending, but there are always more stories to tell in this world, so if Hugh Howey continues to be involved in the production, they may be able to pull off more seasons (though they do potentially have 5 or 6 seasons of material from the books alone, so that may be plenty).

And I disagree about "The Passage", I think the entire trilogy was brilliant and is one of my favourite series ever (I'll agree that the first book was best, though), I thought the short-lives Fox series was pretty good, too

[Edited by FuriousMachine]

FuriousMachine

zupertramp

FuriousMachine wrote:

And I disagree about "The Passage", I think the entire trilogy was brilliant and is one of my favourite series ever (I'll agree that the first book was best, though), I thought the short-lives Fox series was pretty good, too

Yeah, I don't begrudge anyone liking them. My wife and daughter love the books. I'm too picky probably. And didn't even try the show. Just couldn't see Fox doing the story justice, it's more of an Apple TV or HBO thing, plus my daughter and I agree any Wolgast that isn't Michael Shannon isn't Wolgast.

[Edited by zupertramp]

BearsEatBeets

@FuriousMachine your comments about the second book going back in time is giving me deja vu, as if you may have told me this back when I commented about thoroughly enjoying the first season and I forgot. Regardless, knowing there is a satisfying ending to work towards is very reassuring. Only using half a book for a season is a good sign also. Too often when books are adapted to films a lot of nuance and subtlety is lost whereas tv shows can give it the time it needs. Could make for a compelling 4/5 seasons then.

BearsEatBeets

FuriousMachine

@zupertramp If Shannon is your Wolgast, then Gosselaar would fit very poorly, yes. As it happened, I started reading the books when the series were announced and I believe Gosselaar was already cast, so he was pretty much in my mind's eye while reading. I think he did an excellent job with the character in the show, too. The show took quite a few liberties with the story and characters, if memory serves, but I thought it worked pretty well nonetheless and I enjoyed it and was sad that it never got another season (which was a long shot, as Disney were acquiring Fox at the time, so most of the Fox slate was expected to be cancelled). I can only imagine what Apple TV+ could have done with the material, though. Hopefully we'll see something like that one day.

[Edited by FuriousMachine]

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

@BearsEatBeets hehehe, if so, I've forgotten it, too
But, yeah, they're doing a fine job of pacing the series and if they maintain the pace and quality, we should have a solid run on our hands.

FuriousMachine

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic