Forums

Topic: Baldur's Gate 3

Posts 401 to 420 of 426

Thrillho

@Th3solution It's a weird one as quite early on in the game there's a main event after which there's a party and everyone seemed to be horny for my guy at that point. They've obviously got to know him too well by now and are less keen now they've sobered up

Thrillho

Bentleyma

@Th3solution I'm actually interested to know how I would do going back and playing the Divinity games. Me and my brother played the first game and gave up on it several hours in. I think we found it to hard if I recall. I thought we might end up doing the same thing with Baldur's Gate 3, but I'm so happy we stuck with it until the end.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Thrillho

I've just finished Moonrise now. Some fun areas and fights towards the end of that one!

I've also managed to get this far in the game completely forgetting that multi classing is a thing so I'm not sure whether to start messing around with that or not.

Also something I only just learnt that might help you @CJD87 is that stealth attacks on your rogue can be considered reactions. If you go to the reaction menu for your character (separate tab via the inventory screen if you didn't know) you can turn it on. Whenever you use attack or ranged attack and the option of making it a stealth attack is available, a reaction pop up will come up asking if you want to use it (no reason not to). Saves having to keep checking whether they're directly available.

I also learnt that having a character next to an enemy gives you advantage so stealth attacks can be used. Seeing as the rogue normally has the most initiative in the party and goes first, it can be beneficial to swap to one of your melee characters first, attack with them, and then use your stealth attack from the rogue after.

Thrillho

CJD87

@Thrillho Thanks man! The stealth attack mechanic was actually something I knew (about time I had something sussed eh) as my Tav is a 'Charismatic Rogue'.... basically dumped INT on character creation and fed the points into CHA instead. So my tav works as a good face character, proficient in deception/persuasion and also a solid attacker as Rogue/Assassin.

I'm looking to return to BG3 next week once I've beaten 'The Last Faith'. The break has done me good (mid act 2) as I was approaching burnout and didn't want to risk ruining a great game!

CJD87

Thrillho

@CJD87 Enjoy! It’s quite the climax to act 2 but I’m glad to have finally moved on to a new area having spent so long in the shadowlands and Moonrise.

Thrillho

Thrillho

I’m still very early in act 3 but visited the circus where I have been turned into a wheel of cheese (before reloading and having the same guy banish me to a jungle full of dinosaurs) and just completed the fight with “Dribbles” and the creatures there which was tough as I was wandering around with a random party of Astarion, Shadowheart, and Jaheira as I thought they’d be interesting people to enter the city with

Thrillho

woollypump

I'm approaching the end of my first playthrough, which based on the quest journal and the extent to which I've explored I think has been a pretty thorough one. Just a couple of companion quests to finish, House of Hope/ Lae'zel and Gale's is showing as unresolved (although that looks as though it might be tied to the final boss) and the final netherstone from Orin (also the murder tribunal quest which I am assuming is connected) .

[Edited by woollypump]

woollypump

woollypump

@Thrillho I felt the same, but have just been taking my time and exploring - it's all pretty much cleared now and I've enjoyed it.

woollypump

ApostateMage

I finally finished my first run after just over 200 hours playtime. Excellent game only marred by the fact that I had the bug in which the Orphic Hammer totally disappears from all inventories and it locked me out of one the better endings and also pi**ed Lae'zel off. Gutted.

Just started a new adventure with a dark urge paladin. Really really interesting so far and I can already tell that this playthrough is going to be as much fun as the first.

ApostateMage

woollypump

Finished my first play through tonight, what a game! What an adventure!

woollypump

Pizzamorg

I finished my first run (after like 70 plus hours of abandoned runs for various reasons) a little while ago now, my overall summary of the experience was: Act 1, one of the best RPGs ever made. Act 2, it was alright. It is almost there. Needs a bit of polish and maybe a full balance pass, but I can see the vision. Act 3, genuinely terrible and ends what is overall a really great experience on a sour note.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ravix

@Pizzamorg genuinely interested to hear why you feel act 3 was terrible as my experience was wildly different.

I had so much new stuff to do, wrapped up some absolutely amazing emotional story arcs, and a bunch of other stuff i'd picked up along the way, and evetually, after many, many, many hours, exploring every inch of the city, fought my way through an epic climax in the upper city.

I know there are potential ways to accidentally mainline the main quest too fast and miss out on a bunch of stuff, and also some potential for events that may upset people who like their character etc, but is it any of that, or something else?

Spoiler tag it for others if you do reply in any specifics 😄

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

woollypump

I can recognise that Act 3 is perhaps less polished, some questlines can get a bit confused, the main one for me was the game seemed really confused about whether Wyll was now underduke or in Avernus with Karlach, and that confusion carried over into the epilogue , some fizzle out etc… but performance was rock solid the whole way through (i started Act 3 after the “Xbox” patch) and ultimately I enjoyed it just as much the whole way through and the upper city and ending were an exciting and satisfying ending. I will definitely do another playthrough but whilst I would love to jump straight back in I’m going to leave it a good while and look forward to seeing what changes Larian have made by the time I go back to it.

[Edited by woollypump]

woollypump

woollypump

@Ravix yeah I thought Act 3 was just as brilliant in its own way.

woollypump

Pizzamorg

@Ravix I have no idea how to do spoiler tags so I hope this works (update ,it did not work but I think I fixed it? I had to spoiler tag each paragraph individually lol) for me the problem with Act 3, is how messy it all is and just how railroaded it all is, at the same time. Companion quests arc off to nowhere. All that time spent building your army for the final quest, just so you can get a bunch of one time use abilities in the final battle and that is basically just it.

What made Act 1 (and to a lesser extent 2) feel so special to me was the tangible sense of cause and effect to every choice, there were ripples you could plot from origin to the wave that crashed against the rocks on the other end. Act 3 basically doesn't have that at all. It is a bunch of fake choices (some don't even have properly built outcomes, it is just a straight game over screen), and usually one or two that do have an outcome, but rarely do they have an outcome that feels like it has any traceable ripples at all, hell half the time it doesnt feel like the world even reacts at all. Right down the Emperor's WWE style laughable heel turn at the end, because the game clearly wants to get to a fixed point, and hasn't figured out how to get there unless the player makes very specific choices.

Likewise, from a gameplay perspective, the final battle is awfully designed as are most of the encounters in Act 3. By Act 3 they know you are probably insanely powerful, and the only way they seem to have figured out how to make things harder is to just flood you with waves upon waves of enemies. This doesn't make things harder, just incredible tedious.

Also without the addition of the post game camp thing, the game basically has no ending.

[Edited by Pizzamorg]

Ravix

@Pizzamorg I kind of get what you mean, but also disagree in nearly every way 😅

It's a weird one lol

The game has no ending: I've played a bunch of games that wrap things up with a little cutscene type thing, I'm not sure exactly what more you can do as it can't go on forever and ever. The actual ending is

the end of the battle where the narrator says something like "all the hardship was worth it in the end"

or whatever end you get, and the character bits after that are just a little epilogue anyway to tell you what they will be doing next, which they made longer with the camp epilogue. They could have made it a bit clearer that that was what was going on. I felt if they rolled credits as the narrator finished speaking then people wouldn't have had the reaction you had. Just a bit of a mistep in direction and flow.

I'd also argue that it has many endings, one for each companion throughout the game. Shadowheart and Astarion were complete game worthy stories in themselves

Shadowheart mostly wraps up a bit earlier near the end of act 2 (if I remember correctly) and beyond that is her moving on woth her life section, whilst also dealing with the main plot dilema.

Astarion is some of the most powerful storytelling in any game, his absolute battle with himself is gutwrenching, and when he finally accepts he can be happy as he is, after so much has happened, is just beautiful. The amount of rage, self doubt and perceived lack of worth bottled up inside him coming out in a stabby, snot bubbley, wailingly emotional realisation was so powerful. The rest aren't as powerful, but they still have that sense of never giving up despite all and not making incredibly bad choices just because things are sh** right now.

Oh sh** Karlach was powerful too, and that kept going right until the very end. Her scene with Gortash, the person she had basically been forced to trust as a father figure, was absolutely superb emotionally, and her trying to come to terms with her impending death is so beautifully portrayed as well.

The Emporor does not 'turn' the emperor is always a lying manipulative c*** and the traces of Balduran live on in him, in the sense that the mindflayer version of him believes he owns the city, as he once founded it. That is his motivation, and as a mindflayer he had the means to enact it, firstly with his manipulation of Stelamane to rule Baldur's gate from the shadows, and then manipulating the player character to initially defeat the elder brain so he can get back to ruling. But if you scupper his plans you are expendable and he seeks the only choice he has left to survive. His main tactic is to deceive and turn people into mind flayers under his influence. I think he basically wants to be an elder brain, in a way lol. He technically tadpoled us too, but that was part of the Gortash squad and under elder brain influence. I'd not consider a scummy person finally revealing how scummy they are as a turn though, he has a few moments where the mask slips before then. And I personally couldn't wait to f*** him and his plans over at any chance I got after all i'd learned throughout the game about him.

The Wyrm knew what kind of monster Balduran would become and what had to be done, but he was unable to stop it because he had his own emotions and doubts, and Balduran was clearly losing his, so the one who landed the killing blow in that situation was always going to be the one with fewer emotions tied to the action of killing their friend/love. I'd argue that the Wyrm maybe knew this beforehand, and was hoping that Balduran would find out, but also then refuse to kill him in retaliation, proving he still cared enough about people's lives

[Edited by Ravix]

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Thrillho

I’m having to restrain myself not to press all these spoilers as I’m still in act 3

This game though, man. I was pottering about one house that had some art exhibition going on and getting confused as to why there didn’t seem to much happening. Googled the location and the top Reddit thread was about some stupidly hard fight.

Turns out I missed a character in act 1 so that whole thing was completely locked off from me..

So much weirdness in this act though.

I found the fireworks shop and got into the back. Couldn’t go to the top flight without triggering combat so reloaded and went to the building over the road to climb to the roof to snipe people. Ended up stumbling on some undead dude with a load of monsters ambling about the house..

I did make it to the roof and used a fire arrow to blow up the explosive barrels and loads of enemies, and sniped a couple more but there’s still some guards waiting for me up there I can’t reach.

Thrillho

Pizzamorg

@Ravix I am not arguing the quality of the writing, my point is though is that it felt like every choice I made in Act 1 was etched into the fabric of the game, and even when that quest was done, it bled into every quest around it, and that came after it and the repercussions of those choices were felt forever more moving forwards.

You make some of the biggest choices you'll ever make in Act 3, but almost every choice feels like it is in a bubble. You make a choice in that moment, and then it is just done. It won't be referenced again, it won't alter the outcome of something further down the line. And I get that in Act 3 you are coming to the end of the runway, but the game isn't over when you make some seemingly huge choices in Act 3, so the fact those choices just kinda... disappear into the ether after they made just made Act 3 feel kinda naff to me.

The Emperor is probably the perfect example of the weaknesses in writing and mechanics as the game goes along. When I also learnt the truth about the Emperor, I tried to go against him at every turn and realised there is absolutely no way to side against the Emperor until the very end of the game (even in the actual flow of the story, when the Emperor reveals the actual truth to you, nothing alters in your dynamic after that point). And then even at the very end when you do side against him, the execution of that interaction is laughably bad.

It just all feels a million miles away from the Grove and the Goblin camp, where there are dozens of combinations of outcomes depending on who you side with, what actions you take. That is a moment that is never matched again throughout the entire game, and that shadow hung over the rest of the game for me as a result. Act 3 would be a fine RPG on its own, but in the context of what BG3 achieves elsewhere, Act 3 feels like a significant step down in all the ways which matter.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic