Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 2,320

KALofKRYPTON

Pretty sure my partner has had COVID-19.

She spent her half term break in late February with a pretty debilitating flu. Flu tends to hit her hard anyway so we didn't think much of it other than her feeling very unwell for the week. She recovered, but three weeks later and she's still coughing and the 2 local cases that were confirmed are from an area with kids she teaches.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Octane

@KratosMD Children can get the virus, but they don't seem to get sick.

I'm not saying they're wrong. It's just that even public health scientists have questioned the effectiveness. Because that also means that parents have to stay home, or have their grandparents watch their children.

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

Well I am in self isolation now as my daughter has some symptoms, I have a very slight cough i have had for a week or two now and we may have a tenous link to it. I am lucky in that I can work from home so I am doing so.

Personally, I think that the UK govt response is actually quite sensible and will play dividends. I don't see that closing schools and banning everything right now will stop it. Ultimately this virus cannot be contained or stopped. It will hit a peak and then slow down and it is up to us all to be sensible and do our best to not infect others and take necessary precautions. We have to focus on not burdening the vulnerable or our health service unless we really need to.

I have also started wiping my botty with water and soap rather than toilet roll. Just doing my bit.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@LieutenantFatman Thanks man - I'm not convinced we have it but the advice is to self isolate so here we are. My daughter seems more like a cold as she is very snotty and her cough is not dry. I feel 100% fine other than a very occasional cough.

It is weird though. I am just viewing it as trying not to spread anything to others really. Statistically we'll all be fine touch wood but we need to be mindful of those that arent as lucky

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

johncalmc

At work I got dragged into a coronavirus crisis meeting yesterday. Pretty surreal stuff actually. We were doomsday prepping for how we can keep the company running on a skeleton crew and how we can deal with the inevitable fallout of the vast majority of employees not getting paid. I mean what is going on here.

johncalmc

Twitter:

AdamNovice

@johncalmc People overracting as normal, plus companies are losing their minds over trying to keep cash coming in.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

Ralizah

@LN78 The facts coming out every day are pretty sensational on their own. Not saying the media isn't obviously trying to make a buck off of paranoia and fear, but... there's no downplaying how disruptive this virus is. And it has hardly even begun to spread in a lot of countries.

@Rudy_Manchego Good luck to you and your daughter! Let's hope you guys just have a little cold.

@KALofKRYPTON I hope your partner feels better. The scariest thing about this virus is the way "recovered" people start showing the same damn symptoms again not long after.

Genrou wrote:

The only people who are dieing are elderly people and people with weak immune system

I keep hearing this, and I genuinely don't understand this mentality. First off, it's not true: those are the biggest risk groups, but younger and otherwise healthy people have died as well. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that you're right. Elderly people and immuno-compromised people are all around you. They make up big chunks of modern society. They're friends, family, neighbors, etc. What's up with this attitude that "only" certain people are dying?

All it seems to take is a little bit of inconvenience for half the people I talk to to start sounding like brutal social darwinists who are OK with the weak and vulnerable dying en masse.

[Edited by Ralizah]

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio demo (PC)

Ugh. Men.

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

So we're in full lockdown. Looks like I'll have two weeks off. Uni is closed, work suspended. But the unfortunate thing is that also recreational buildings are closed, like the movie theatres and the gym. Hoarding toilet paper has also reached our town. Great.

Octane

Jaz007

@LN78 Yeah, it’s definitely maddening and I just realized may not have expressed that clearly enough.
@Ralizah My understanding isn’t that it’s like .02 percent of any age group under 50 (or maybe 40). It’s not that no one has died, just it’s very low and unlikely. But yes, people are brushing off those who die way too easily. It’s crazy and people need to undertake the difference between not having hysteria and dealing with a serious problem.

Jaz007

HallowMoonshadow

Gremio108 wrote:

Make the schools 24 hour, that's the way forward. Keep all the kids in one place, where they can't infect their grandparents. Although I'm not sure Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy would like this idea.

Why @Gremio108? Why? Was it something I said? 😂

[Edited by HallowMoonshadow]

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah Thanks! I am sure we are fine but it will take its time to get to us. Over the next few months I can see a few of these possible scares happening within households.

My mentality is that yes, I'll probably be ok but we really need to work to protect the people that won't be. That means doing what we can to think of them and not spread it onwards.

nessisonett

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah, I’m terrified to go over to see my Nana because she’s got a lot of underlying health conditions, including a weakened immune system. It means I’ve barely seen my grandparents’ new puppy as well!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ryall

Other than asking people over the phone whether they are self isolating we are business as usual unless we fall ill.

Ryall

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON @Rudy_Manchego Hope you and both your fams are ok and that it is nothing too serious.

@crimsontadpoles We have been preparing and testing all week for potentially working from home as a precaution. Been told to take our laptops home every night just incase the office is closed overnight.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

belmont

It is finally done. In Greece we closed almost everything. In work we will try to work from home mostly.
We are not Italy yet though, we can move within towns and go for walks, churches are open etc.
Public means of transport still work but most shops have closed. Supermarkets, pharmacies, bakeries, private doctors are all open as well as restaurants but only for delivery.

In the subway I saw way less people than those of last week

belmont

themcnoisy

Donald Trump can't tweet himself out of the hole he's in over Covid 19. Pretty entertaining in this sad time.

@KALofKRYPTON good luck mate. I hope it was just a cold.

@Rudy_Manchego stay fit and well bro, when you are at home isolating. Try not to read too much about the desease as difficult as that may be. Use the time to chill out and have a set time to watch the news maybe once or twice a day as being isolated makes the news 10 times as worse.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder @themcnoisy
Thanks.
Definitely not a cold though.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.