Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 421 to 440 of 2,320

themcnoisy

@KALofKRYPTON it's weird actually. A couple of weeks ago I came back from Disneyland and had the worst illness ever after returning (had a dodgy throat on the plane). All the symptons are checked - dry cough, sore throat, fever, aches and pains. It was the worst ever. I originally wanted to get back and have a game with @Jaz007 online as I had a few days off. I was far too ill to do anything. In bed for 48 hours. Once I could get up I got diagnosed in the doctors as having the back end of tonsilitus but had recovered more or less and just had a red throat. I'm pretty sure @JohnnyShoulder told me off for derailing a thread (rightly so) around the same time as it was all I could think about. I then went to work in the last week of Feb. Properly well and fit by the start of March.

Now I've had to send 2 of my staff home, one lady has been withdrawn for a few days. My wife's had a hacking cough for a week and other people in close proximity have been ill. I don't really know many older people bar family relatives, who I haven't seen since Christmas.

Part of me wants to believe I've had coronavirus. Fortunately the people around me during this time were people under 50 and I'm quite socially isolating in the way I work. I don't get in people's face and always keep a respectful distance when talking. Maybe loads of us have got it / had it? Maybe it was tonsillitis and just a coincidence but it brings up all these weird ideas.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy you never know.

She had swine flu a few years back too, but no one else she knew caught it, and same this time.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Jaz007

@themcnoisy You can get the virus more than once. So even if you had it theres no guarantee you won’t get it again sadly.

In other news I like the new testing measures in America. We‘re making easily available drive-thru testing at stores like Walmart and Target. There will be a google made website (not a government made disaster like has happened before) to see where you can get testing. Sound infrastructure to get out there quickly.

Jaz007

Rudy_Manchego

@KALofKRYPTON Good luck mate, all the best.

Still no real bad symptoms for me but daughter is coughing lots but is still really her same over energetic self!

@themcnoisy @JohnnyShoulder Thanks y’all. I do feel like I am being overly dramatic but that’s the advice and I would be a selfish twonk if I didn’t follow it.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Thrillho

@Rudy_Manchego I wouldn’t feel bad about following the advice! It’s for everyone’s protection as well.

It’s just getting scary times in the NHS waiting for the damn to burst. I’ve already heard of patients not getting treatment like chemotherapy which will nuke their immune system and make them too vulnerable to the virus. Some of the war room planning going on is quite scary.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Rudy_Manchego It is best to err on the side of caution in these circumstances. It amazes me when people have a 'normal' cold/flu and who are clearly too ill to be at work just to show thier face. I always say to them that they could be infecting other people by being in work.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

andreoni79

So here I am again.
I'm stuck in a room in the city where I work, 150 kms away from my hometown, where I can't return since my mother is immunosuppressed by chemotherapy and going to others' homes is illegal in Italy.
I'm one of the few still working in my office and for the first time in 16 years the company is in real danger since it's a tour operator.
Time to go back to PS4 and plat Death Stranding.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Rudy_Manchego

@andreoni79 Mate, really sorry to hear. Can’t imagine how hard it must be to not be able to get back to see your folks.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

themcnoisy

@Jaz007 yeah I looked at the articles listing reinfection and a variety of strains.

All the cases of reinfection talked about in the articles are too close to original diagnosis to call. 8-10 days or so. Probably got a false negative test, sent home, without being cured at all.

So I don't think you can be reinfected, it's just unfortunate covid 19 comes at you in 2 waves over the course of 10-20 days.

Jaz007

@themcnoisy Okay, that's pretty to know then. That makes it passing a lot easier and better. If it really could infect people it could be like trying to kill a cockroach for a bit.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@Jaz007 I know this seems a little crazy, my stance has changed over the last few days. Our chance at containment has gone, without losing our hard won freedoms to lock downs the best option is herd immunity.

We should have been closing the drawbridge 2 weeks ago, alas the desease is now bubbling under our noses. The next course of action is to house the elderly safely and infect as many young and healthy people as possible. Anyone seen as at risk should be isolated for a month and everyone under 55 and fit goes back to work. There's huge evidence that coronavirus is massively under reported, so much so that only 17% of recognised cases are for people 38 years of age or younger. This doesn't make sense. The average age for the population in all the major effected countries is 38. The figure should be 50% (or thereabouts accounting for a slight variance).

Massive underreporting of the real figures. You can probably double the figures on the stats trackers and it would still be wildly out as healthy 40 or 50 year old may suffer very mild symptoms too.

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy containment was never really a valid option, delay so as not to overwhelm the NHS is all we can really try to do, but in the long run it’s better anyone healthy just gets and recovers from this illness. I am not going out of my way to pick it up but I am fully expecting to get it. I understand there is a minor chance things won’t go well for me if I do, but I am not going to spend months/years in a bubble.

Panic buying is disgraceful.

[Edited by kyleforrester87]

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Octane

@themcnoisy @kyleforrester87 Surreal times honestly. I'm just sitting at home. Can't do much. Uni is cancelled. Work is suspended. The gym is closed. And all I can do is watch people hoard toilet paper at the supermarkets.

I feel guilty for even buying toilet paper at this point, and mine is seriously running out

Octane

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 containment is always an option. But not if you ferry I'll people around the globe.

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy Not realistically in the UK, at the stages the the virus has been at or currently. It needs to be done when the virus is at its peak, which is not now or has been in the UK. Man I wish you'd stop banging this drum, I'm getting a bit fed up it in all honesty.

[Edited by JohnnyShoulder]

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy even in the unlikely event that you could contain a virus like this (considering the incubation period, low mortality risk combined with economic and social disruption in attempting to do so) all you’d end up with is an island full of people with zero immunity, at least until we’re able to vaccinate, while the rest of the world moved on. And you could very well put all that effort in for a single case to get through anyway, rendering all your efforts useless while still suffering the negative consequences.

[Edited by kyleforrester87]

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Emergency situations bring out everyone's true colors.

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio demo (PC)

Ugh. Men.

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger Good on you fella. This, we are all in this together sounds great in soundbytes, I just wished more people actually followed it...

Day 4 of isolation and today was a fairly good day. Cooked a roast. No one poorly except my youngest still having a very snotty nose but she has been playing in the garden all afternoon and seems fine. Yesterday was hell on earth with the kids going absolutely bonkers and driving me mad. Work from home tomorrow.

Seriously don't think I have it so will wait my 7 days out and go back to work on alternate days to keep things moving.

As for the whole herd immunity - so many unknowns, who knows? Immunity might only last a few months as is the case with many viruses. However, it often reduces the seriousness of the symptoms. I am interested to see if this shut down all the other countries are doing works at this stage. I think they will if they are at peak but not if they aren't.

On a personal mission to get my daughters and wife to reduce to one square of TP for a number 1. It is not going anywhere.

kyleforrester87

@Rudy_Manchego yeah the way it’s going there’s a much higher chance that we all get sent home from work due to no one being able to clean their bottoms versus coronavirus taking hold.

kyleforrester87

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.