Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 541 to 560 of 2,320

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Yep, we’re in social housing and while we’d love for the government to step in and pay rent just now, that’ll just mean they’re going to increase payments down the line. The company that own our house already do good work so it would be hard to see them out of pocket because of this situation.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett I guess from the perspective of government, landlords operating buy-to-lets and company landlords are no more important than the rest of the businesses that are struggling, and rightly they should be insured accordingly. Rent insurance does exist, just most landlords don't opt for it. If the bank takes over the house the tenants stay in place and aren't sleeping on the streets, unless another rule is created for the bank to get them out. Certainly looking forward to see what limitations are on this proposal, and if/how they will help affected parties down the line!

[Edited by kyleforrester87]

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

So according to my pal who works in Asda, everybody’s buying loads of pasta but they have shelves and shelves of pasta sauces. Clearly the public haven’t thought that far ahead 😂😂

Octane

@nessisonett I'd rather eat a jar of pasta sauce than plain noodles. Priorities...

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

@kyleforrester87 Ah right - I do some software for a few medium ish Housing Associations. So if their software doesn't work, blame me.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Gremio108

@kyleforrester87 Yeah, hopefully it won't last too long. My concern is that a lot of businesses are going to go into administration later in the year. Retail and entertainment industries are going to need a damn good christmas, with lots of people going on to the high street to get their shopping done. And that's without considering that the virus could return next winter as some are predicting.

Management spoke to me this afternoon and assured me that my job will still be there, but that's the only assurance I've got at the moment. Nevertheless, I think it's more than a lot of people will get

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

kyleforrester87

@Gremio108 Yes assurances are not that helpful as it stands, but it's nice to know you have a good chance of getting back in there once things take an inevitable upturn. Are you going to sit on it for a while to see how things are going to pan out? Even a few days could give us all some much needed clarity to be fair.

kyleforrester87

Gremio108

@kyleforrester87 At the moment I'm just applying for anything, but mainly supermarkets. I think there might be a bit of a rush coming in terms of job applications. The high street is going to be the next one sending people home, and then I think transport might struggle. Hopefully that's worst case scenario talk and we'll be past the worst after Easter.

@RogerRoger Thanks. At least I'll be around to home school the kids! I'm thinking algebra in the morning, a half hour lunch break and then woodwork in the afternoon.

And yeah, I can only echo what you said about others. The last 48 hours have opened my eyes a lot.

[Edited by Gremio108]

Gremio108

@RogerRoger My eldest has already stated his plan to play through Horizon Zero Dawn while he's off school.

From my point of view I'll say this - it's looking like the Ultra Hard playthrough will be happening.

HallowMoonshadow

Well... That's me done teaching for the forseeable future come friday

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, it’s good I’m off uni or my wee brother wouldn’t have any childcare that wasn’t over 70. How’s pay working? Will you be getting your full wage or stuck on sick pay?

Gremio108

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Hope everything's okay at your end. It'll be interesting to see how the proposed measures regarding vulnerable children and kids of so-called "key workers" pan out.

HallowMoonshadow

I'm honestly not too sure yet @nessisonett

We're going to have staff meetings tomorrow and friday to work this all out.

From the early talk my partner may still be working with the proposed measures @Gremio108 mentioned but it's too early to tell right at this moment.

I've just read through the topic and seen what's happened to you @Gremio108 ... I hope you land on your feet!

We'll be fine over here hopefully, we have some savings we can rely on if push comes to shove but I'm... cautiously optimistic at the moment.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Gremio108

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Cautiously optimistic is pretty much my current position too. Hope tomorrow's not too rough.

kyleforrester87

For anyone renting in the UK this seems to be where they have landed, which is a fair result I think.

"Emergency legislation will be passed to prevent private sector landlords from issuing possession proceedings for at least a 3-month period. The government has also announced that the mortgage ‘holiday’ offered to homeowners will also apply to landlords with a buy to let mortgage.
On the expiry of the 3-month period the government expects landlords and tenants to reach an agreement on any repayment plan. In order to ensure that this meeting of minds takes place the pre-action protocol which applies to social landlords commencing possession claims will be amended to apply to the private sector as well so that positive action by the landlord becomes a prerequisite to any such claim.
Guidance is also expected which asks landlords to show compassion to tenants who may be at risk of losing their homes.
This announcement does not come as a surprise. Unfortunately, we do not at present know if it will impact on possession claims that have already been issued. Given that the courts are likely to close, especially over Easter, it is likely that current claims will be delayed in any event even if not covered by this emergency legislation."

[Edited by kyleforrester87]

kyleforrester87

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Hmm, it’s a big ask. I worry about how it will be enforced, asking landlords to show ‘compassion’ is rather arbitrary.

kyleforrester87

From BBC. Sounds about right doesn’t it. I think we’re all just going to get used to the fear of this virus being about. And hopefully NHS will have better resources over time.

“Even if the tide starts to turn in the UK in 12 weeks and the number of cases starts to fall, then we will still be far from the end.

It can take a long time for the tide to go out.

It is clear the current strategy of shutting down large parts of society is not sustainable in the long term.

But the coronavirus is not going to disappear.

For as long as large numbers of people in the UK have no immunity then cases will soar as soon as restrictions are lifted.

A vaccine would help, but that could be 18 months away.

If enough people are exposed and become immune then that would help too, however, this is likely to take even longer than a vaccine.

Efforts to rigorously test and then isolate anyone infected can help suppress the numbers of people infected.

But this is what we were doing just a few weeks ago.

We may enter a period of restrictions being lifted and then re-imposed until a long-term solution is found.”

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

Pretty spooky walking into town today on my lunch break and seeing no one. And then walk around the corner and all the shops are still quite busy.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.