Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 561 to 580 of 2,357

Gremio108

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Cautiously optimistic is pretty much my current position too. Hope tomorrow's not too rough.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

kyleforrester87

For anyone renting in the UK this seems to be where they have landed, which is a fair result I think.

"Emergency legislation will be passed to prevent private sector landlords from issuing possession proceedings for at least a 3-month period. The government has also announced that the mortgage ‘holiday’ offered to homeowners will also apply to landlords with a buy to let mortgage.
On the expiry of the 3-month period the government expects landlords and tenants to reach an agreement on any repayment plan. In order to ensure that this meeting of minds takes place the pre-action protocol which applies to social landlords commencing possession claims will be amended to apply to the private sector as well so that positive action by the landlord becomes a prerequisite to any such claim.
Guidance is also expected which asks landlords to show compassion to tenants who may be at risk of losing their homes.
This announcement does not come as a surprise. Unfortunately, we do not at present know if it will impact on possession claims that have already been issued. Given that the courts are likely to close, especially over Easter, it is likely that current claims will be delayed in any event even if not covered by this emergency legislation."

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Hmm, it’s a big ask. I worry about how it will be enforced, asking landlords to show ‘compassion’ is rather arbitrary.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

kyleforrester87

From BBC. Sounds about right doesn’t it. I think we’re all just going to get used to the fear of this virus being about. And hopefully NHS will have better resources over time.

“Even if the tide starts to turn in the UK in 12 weeks and the number of cases starts to fall, then we will still be far from the end.

It can take a long time for the tide to go out.

It is clear the current strategy of shutting down large parts of society is not sustainable in the long term.

But the coronavirus is not going to disappear.

For as long as large numbers of people in the UK have no immunity then cases will soar as soon as restrictions are lifted.

A vaccine would help, but that could be 18 months away.

If enough people are exposed and become immune then that would help too, however, this is likely to take even longer than a vaccine.

Efforts to rigorously test and then isolate anyone infected can help suppress the numbers of people infected.

But this is what we were doing just a few weeks ago.

We may enter a period of restrictions being lifted and then re-imposed until a long-term solution is found.”

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

Pretty spooky walking into town today on my lunch break and seeing no one. And then walk around the corner and all the shops are still quite busy.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Arugula Coronavirus is the virus being spread. Covid-19 is the disease caused by this virus. Unless you’re referring to ‘The Chinese Virus’ 🙄

themcnoisy

Noticeable downturn in customers for us the last 3 days. Got a few concerned colleagues. So we decided to launch home delivery.

It's a massive change to the business. But we need to save jobs and to keep the business bubbling for 15 weeks at a minimum level of sales and matched the government mortgage holiday by offering motor finance with no payments for 3 months. Trade your current car, stop payments and get a newer one! Hopefully that incentives people to buy!

@kyleforrester87 This is the conundrum. I'm personally gutted schools have closed so soon. There's a zero death rate in kids under 10 in Italy.

London and the immediate surrounding area is an outlier and should be rightfully closed, teachers and parents are a real worry with covid taking a grip. Up here we should be looking at next Wednesday or Thursday. But no, panic panic panic. It's been called too soon, according to all the reports acting like this will cause waves of the desease. There's limited immunity so expect the current, less effected areas to be buggered by Christmas.

The only positive is we will have more ventilators and a possible solution in drugs or injections. But I get the sinking suspicion we could sit it out a bit in areas like mine.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett as for calling it the Chinese virus, maybe someone needs to set me straight, but I don’t know if I really have a problem with them being called out like that. They’ve been responsible for a number of diseases like this, surely they’ll face some international pressure down the line to raise standards to help stop something like this happening again? I dunno. It’s the virus from China, after all.

kyleforrester87

themcnoisy

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy My kids will still be going to school as my wife's a keyworker (nurse NHS). They reckon 10% of kids will still need schooling of some sort.

The chances are 3/4 schools will close up and all the key workers kids will go to the open one on a skeleton staff.

themcnoisy

@Arugula wow I never realised that was you Frigate.

Jaz007

@nessisonett Coronavirus is just a nick-name for Corvid 19 though. I'm not sure what you mean. We just tend to use something easier to say than a scientific name.
And wait, @Frigate is @Argula? I almost missed that completely. Dang, a name and avatar an change is hard to keep track of.

Jaz007

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 There’s been a massive surge in violence against East Asians, whether that’s Chinese, Korean, Japanese, they literally don’t care. Let’s be honest, anyone listening to what Trump says clearly is a few sandwiches short of a picnic so giving them a clear scapegoat instead of just telling them to wash their bloody hands does more harm than good.

nessisonett

@Arugula Woah, I had no idea that was you. This is like a major plot twist 😂😂

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett fair enough, I’m happy to be enlightened, I can be pretty ignorant sometimes. Do you think there should be some international pressure put on China down the line though?

kyleforrester87

nessisonett

@Jaz007 No it’s the other way round. COVID-19 is Coronavirus Disease 19. The virus being spread is severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, (SARS-CoV-2).

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Honestly, China cracked down on it. Yes, through dodgy ass means but it was when the countries brought their citizens back from Wuhan that all hell broke loose. I’m not saying we should have just left them but these sorta viruses find a way, despite the best efforts of governments. I don’t think it would do much good to blame China for not cracking down on it more while also blaming China for being too autocratic. Would be a bit ironic!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.