Forums

Topic: Push Square Formula 1 thread - F1

Posts 801 to 820 of 864

BearsEatBeets

The Alpine drivers doing a great job getting camera time for their team. With the Haas drivers doing the same earlier it's the inter-team fighting providing most of the entertainment so far.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

themightyant

Max would not back down. I think he’ll get the penalty.

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

Wow! That got crazy. Feel bad for Lando, takes the fight to Max but Max bumps into him under braking. Even with his penalty he is going to extend his championship lead with Lando having to pull out.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets Yes agreed. Should have been P1 for Lando after that slow pit stop, he had the pace and max had to block him to stop it

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

I wish Lando and Max’s first chat together over the incident was on camera but that won’t happen.
I wonder if Lewis has commented to Lando “now you know what he’s like “ or words to that effect.

Trying to keep up with the analysis after the race while following the build up to the football.

BearsEatBeets

AdamNovice

I think both were to blame tbh. Lando of late has been too eager to get overtakes done when he needs to be more patient, he was facing a 5 second penalty already before the incident happened.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

BearsEatBeets

@AdamNovice I certainly think Lando was being bold with his attempts to overtake but feel their contact for the damage was 100% on Max for me. It would have been interesting if they hadn't had damage as you are right, even if Lando had got in front he was facing a 5 second penalty for track limits. So unless he somehow pulled a massive gap quickly he probably would have had it taken away again anyway. Still he would have preferred that to the DNF and no points.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@AdamNovice I agree Lando built the tension on the incident. But the actual collision was all Max, as was petulantly not trying to let him past, driving the McLaren onto the grass, after when he had a puncture. It was the old bad max imho

@BearsEatBeets Max got a puncture, had to limp back to the pits, get new tires and take a 10 second penalty and STILL beat Perez. lol

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets was at a wedding yesterday and missed all the sport. Perez surely has to be gone now, he’s just in a massive slump and is dragging Red Bull back. If Ferrari hadn’t slipped in recent weeks and dropped a lot of points they could be leading the championship or at least pushing Red Bull close.

Meanwhile a British 1-2-3 at Silverstone I just hope it doesn’t get messy going into turn 1!!! Currently looks likely to be dry but A bit of rain might spice things up too. Ah the British weather. lol

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant I really hope we can keep that top 3 for the race finish, an all Brit podium would be awesome. A Lando win would be preferable for the championship but would take any order of the 3.
Sounds like there could be some rain right near the end of the race which could really mess things up.

Looking forward to this.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets Max was 5th on pace and 8s behind 4th before the first pit stop, didn’t think I’d see that this season. Obviously unique conditions and every track is different but it gives me a little hope for the rest of the year.

Oh No, George has just retired

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

themightyant

Wow! Great race. Enjoyed that and nice to see Lewis back on the top step and at Silverstone of all places.

Piastri unlucky they made the wrong call, as was George.

I may have spoken too soon about Max, in the last stint on low fuel he was faster on the hard than Lewis and Lando were on the Softs

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant Yeah great Race. Shame that things didn't work out for George and Lando but super happy for Lewis. He really earned that and you can see what it means to him.

If Lando also had mediums he really should have used them. It will be curious to see whose decision his last tyre choice was. You can tell he knows that final pit stop time and tyre choice cost him that win.

BearsEatBeets

PsBoxSwitchOwner

@BearsEatBeets he had mediums afaik but he chose to cover off Hamilton, the team gave him the option. then he overshot his box.

Looks like Hamilton was going for the immediate grip with the softs whereas max went for the longevity.

PsBoxSwitchOwner

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets too many small errors adding up for Lando & Mclaren He could have won all the last 4 races. Obvs last race not mostly his fault. Will be interesting to see if he improves over time in this area, he has everything else.

[Edited by themightyant]

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@PsBoxSwitchOwner @themightyant yeah it sounds like they discussed too much between driver and pits about what others were doing instead of just focusing on what was the best of their available tyres. They should have made the call for him like they did for Piastri. Of course they screwed up for Piastri in the first stops by making him do the extra lap as well. Not a good day for Mclaren strategy/pits.
They did get more points than Red Bull though so that's something at least. Sainz helping take the fastest lap of Max as well.

BearsEatBeets

BAMozzy

It was a great race and so happy for Lewis to break that record of most Grand Prix Wins at a Single Circuit and at his 'Home' Race and Final Home Race for Mercedes. What a Drive - even on the Softs at the end as he managed the final stint.

It was a pity to see George retire and Lando certainly made a few mistakes at the end (over shooting his pit stop and choosing Softs because Hamilton did) which perhaps helped Lewis but I do think there was a real possibility of a British lockout of the Podium.

Max looked like he would finish 5th at best until McLaren made mistakes with Piastri and George had to retire. Ferrari seem to be dropping down the order too and with Perez not scoring points these days, McLaren and even Mercedes must think they can chase down Red Bull in the second half. Merc winning the last 2 races now and lets not forget, Max (RB) have used all their engine allowances for the season so likely to have Penalty's too in the second half.

I'd love to see Lewis get his 8th Championship he certainly 'deserves' with Mercedes - although I really do think that is incredibly unlikely as he is 145pts behind - but it would be a fairytale ending...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

PsBoxSwitchOwner

@BearsEatBeets it was piastri who asked for the mediums. He asked for them instantly.

In those changing conditions driver tends to get more input. As they know the grip etc.

Must say i was a little disappointed with Lando’s attitude after the race. Seemed a bit sore loser after this one.

PsBoxSwitchOwner

BearsEatBeets

@BAMozzy Lewis getting the Championship would be the greatest turnaround in the history of the sport. I'm sure he's just grateful for this extra home win and improved chance to compete going forward.

@PsBoxSwitchOwner The Strategists have much more information at hand than the drivers do and I think they should have been more decisive in this case. I can't say I got a sore loser impression from Lando myself. He definitely was unhappy with the third but I observed that as him being hyper critical of himself, especially with it being another missed opportunity so soon after the others recently. It probably doesn't help that even when someone else wins Max is still able to keep adding a few extra points to his lead.

BearsEatBeets

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic